Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite London music venue

13»

Comments

• Tufnell Park Dome was good last night. Dingwalls also good. Astoria was great. Koko also a favourite and also going to see the Undertones there next month. 229 Club very good (buy tickets from them direct and you get access to the International Students House bar beforehand (Cheap booze and food)). Can't believe no one has mentioned Under The Bridge, a small venue where you can get right up close to three sides of the stage and, so far as I know, the only music venue where you can buy a pint of port and Guinness! I will be there for Bad Manners in December.
  • Missed It said:

Koko in Camden, a vast improvement on the grotty old Camden Palace

I'm not a fan of this place one little bit.
    I prefer the Black Heart/Underworld/Electric Ballroom.
  • edited October 2017

Missed It said:

I'm not a fan of this place one little bit.
    I prefer the Black Heart/Underworld/Electric Ballroom.

Maybe my grungy days are behind me now!

The Electric Ballroom is alright, haven't been there for donkey's years though. I find the Underworld to be a bit of a dungeon. Can be a good atmosphere when it's full but I can't get over those poxy great pillars in the way.
  • Brixton academy. The way it is sloped means everyone can see. Not too big and you can get to the bar throughout.
  • Tufnell Park Dome was good last night. Dingwalls also good. Astoria was great. Koko also a favourite and also going to see the Undertones there next month. 229 Club very good (buy tickets from them direct and you get access to the International Students House bar beforehand (Cheap booze and food)). Can't believe no one has mentioned Under The Bridge, a small venue where you can get right up close to three sides of the stage and, so far as I know, the only music venue where you can buy a pint of port and Guinness! I will be there for Bad Manners in December.

Late post @foresthillred

I like the 229 club, is under the bridge the one at Waterloo?

When I lived in Ravenscourt Park my favourite venues was the Hammersmith appollo (saw flaming lips there and probably the best gig I’ve seen) and Astoria.

Now I can’t say I’ve been to a really good (not local pub) music venue in years. Missed royal Albert Hall for Texas because of family bereavement, went to see the in southend and they were fantastic.

Used to live next to koko when it opened, that’s anout the size of my perfect venue.
  • dizzee said:

Brixton academy.

Can we dispel some myths about this place?
    dizzee said:

Not too big

It's capacity is 4,921. It is the 4th biggest non-arena music venue in the country (only just smaller than the Hammersmith Apollo). If that isn't too big then the only thing you're comparing to are arenas.
    dizzee said:

and you can get to the bar throughout.

It is atrocious getting a beer in there. The bars are far too small for that number of people. Add to that the beer options are also shit.

Again I reiterate, I have no idea why this place gets so much love. I go out of my way to not go there unless it's a band I'm absolutely desperate to see.
  • The white swan greenwich (sadly missed)
  • If you want to go "posh" Ronnie Scotts is cracking.

We took my Dad to see Roy Ayers there for his 60th. Sat at one of the front tables and halfway through the set, looked at why wife who had fallen asleep with her head back and mouth open.
  • Missed It said:

Good. I'm seeing The Undertones there next month.
    We are assisting in a gig there next week

for me

TROXY love the troxy
  • Hidden, if it's even still open.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't seen Heaven mentioned yet.
  • Brixton Academy
  • If you want to go "posh" Ronnie Scotts is cracking.

We took my Dad to see Roy Ayers there for his 60th. Sat at one of the front tables and halfway through the set, looked at why wife who had fallen asleep with her head back and mouth open.
    Going to see Ray Gelato and the Giants there in December, promise you no-one falls asleep when he's playing... :smiley:
  • Tramshed for me although RIP
  • Carter said:

Brixton Academy

Is it just me? I think it's one of most horrible venues on the planet. The sloping floor makes viewing good but you do wonder how many rats run about the place at night.
  • Used to love The Marquee when it was on Wardour Street and The Bridge House in Canning Town. Saw loads of bands starting out and it was great to see them in such small venues.

Of the bigger venues the Hammersmith Odeon has always been good for music and has an amazing history of who has performed there. Capacity just about perfect...

Wow - The Bridge House. Didn't happen to see Depeche there did you mate? It was one of their early regular venues.
  • Carter said:

Brixton Academy

Is it just me? I think it's one of most horrible venues on the planet. The sloping floor makes viewing good but you do wonder how many rats run about the place at night.
    Rats in The Brixton Academy ? Why do you say that ?

Although, I'll be honest and say I did see one in the side road outside last year.
    Mind you I saw one in my garden last week & I won't even start on the rat that overdosed on quavers some years ago.
  • Carter said:

Brixton Academy

Although, I'll be honest and say I did see one in the side road outside last year.
    Mind you I saw one in my garden last week & I won't even start on the rat that overdosed on quavers some years ago.
    It just seems like a pretty grim place once the lights go up. And, I hate the bars to the point where I arrive late and don't drink there.
  • edited October 2017

Carter said:

Brixton Academy

It just seems like a pretty grim place once the lights go up. And, I hate the bars to the point where I arrive late and don't drink there.
    Yes I frequent The Trinity Arms and or The Weatherspoons if I feel like slumming it.
    I agree the bars are very crowded inside. The upstairs bar is often you're best bet.
    I'm not sure I've seen it with the lights up. I always exit sharpish.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brixton pubs with beer garden&oq=Brixton+pubs&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.9430j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51461439,-122984,327&tbm=lcl&rldimm=13388690221652062442&ved=0ahUKEwipoYqV0f_WAhWBtRoKHU2uA5gQvS4ITDAB&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9#rlfi=hd:;si:13388690221652062442;mv:!1m3!1d12429.299898752439!2d-0.1086123!3d51.460725849999996!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i267!2i240!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9
  • Nashville Room
    Sundown Club
    Roxy Club
    Marquee
    Dingwalls
  • Sponsored links:

• Most of my trips to London to see Charlton co-incide with gigs. Always enjoyed gigs at The Luminaire in Kilburn. Prominent signs saying "no one paid to listen to you talking to your pals. If you want to talk to your pals when the bands are on, please leave the venue" made me love it even more. Also like the Borderline and the Green Note. Also like the Bush Hall, although it was weird to be there when QPR played Arsenal on a Sat evening kick-off and watching the Arsenal fans "giving it large" walking down Shepherds Bush Road? after final whistle.
  • RobRob
    edited October 2017
    trying to get url's to work
  • RobRob
    edited October 2017
    Not music venues but I love this kind of thing. Can you see these?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9Vli5KBNLKU

https://youtube.com/watch?v=i7FmuBy29Q0

• Rob said:

Yes.
  • Rob said:

Ah, The Dualers. Saw them at the Amersham Arms a few years ago. Excellent band.
  • addickson said:

Most of my trips to London to see Charlton co-incide with gigs. Always enjoyed gigs at The Luminaire in Kilburn. Prominent signs saying "no one paid to listen to you talking to your pals. If you want to talk to your pals when the bands are on, please leave the venue" made me love it even more. Also like the Borderline and the Green Note. Also like the Bush Hall, although it was weird to be there when QPR played Arsenal on a Sat evening kick-off and watching the Arsenal fans "giving it large" walking down Shepherds Bush Road? after final whistle.

talking of west London football grounds and gigs I hear that under the bridge at Chelsea's ground is pretty good.

• Must add Bass Clef, vibrant jazz venue in Hoxton... much missed.
    Also, although it was a bit municipal, I loved Thames Poly Friday nights in the 70's. VDGG, Man, Wolf and many other great bands
  • Must add Bass Clef, vibrant jazz venue in Hoxton... much missed.
    Also, although it was a bit municipal, I loved Thames Poly Friday nights in the 70's. VDGG, Man, Wolf and many other great bands

Wolf - led by virtuoso violinist Daryl Way - almost forgotten now, but blew me away at the Roundhouse in the late 70s: extraordinary drumming by Ian Mosley. Daryl Way had come from Curved Air - who are still going strong. Seen them twice in recent years at the Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst, essentially a sports clubhouse yet with excellent acoustics and an intimate vibe.

• The Marquee + The Hope and Anchor + The Rock Garden + Dingwalls + The Lyceum + The Electric Ballroom + The Moonlight Club. All had a character of their own.

Heaven........absolutely superb.

And in south London, which somehow never quite managed the same array, The Saxon Tavern SE6. Memories of seeing Chicken Shack there in the mid '70's as well as some of the "pub rock" acts like Roogalator.
  • Used to love the LA 2. Awesome place.