Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Arrived at the ground in good time for a couple of pints at their bowling club (
    not a patch on the Saddlers Club at Walsall).
    Pat on the back for our fans this evening who were in fine voice all evening and really got behind the team.
    Anything can happen with Fosu and Holmes running at them. Wanted more from Josh. Reeves seem to be isolated out wide. Cabbles was missing yet again. Rumour is he might be around for Shrewsbury but that might be a cop out with international call ups. Sarr is the new hero. Ahearne Grant should of hit the target at the end.
    Satisfied with the point as the majority of the division drew tonight. We should go into the Bradford game with nothing to fear especially as they haven't pulled up any trees in their last couple of games.

Not Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe

Get back to your railway book and being ignored by the coach hardcore. Hope the static from whatever DVD they're showing you is loud and right in your ear all the way back down the m40
  • Options
    Watched on the stream.

A good point. Thought we played the better football, just fell apart a bit around the box.

Sarr played really well, and I was impressed with Forster Caskey in the middle, he's a very intelligent footballer, and links well with Kashi.

Fosu's decision making is what you'd expect of a third tier winger, but he's pacy and tricky, and puts defenders on the back foot. You can see he's brimming with confidence.

Oxford have a good side for this league so not too disappointed with a point. Was surprised to see Alex Mowatt playing for them, I assumed he was still at Leeds.
  • Options
    haha and the text below says it's gillingham vs wigan!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g I'm staying up late and bold highlighting all the posts from fans that were there. What you doing????

He's probably out poaching
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oxford fans giving Sarr many compliments...

“That was just a decent game of football. Reckon the number 23 for Charlton is as good a CB I’ve seen at this level #oufc”
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

cabbles said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g I'm staying up late and bold highlighting all the posts from fans that were there. What you doing????

He's probably out poaching
    He wants all the glory but won't put the work in
  • Options
    My first game seeing Charlton in any format since the memorial game for the murdered PC.
    Up to Charltons goal, it looked to me Oxford were on a hiding. Struggling to recognise the players I picked Sarr as a stand out. But once again Charlton seemed to step off the gas and stop pressuring the fullbacks and getting the ball in the box for Big Josh or having a go themselves, after they scored it looked to me like they were inviting them on a hoping to catch them on the break. I'm liking what I see as far as KR is concerned but like most wonder what happens if someone Josh gets injured. Struggling with jet lag after ipvanish sent me around the world so I'm off to bed now. ;)
  • Options
    10% Automatic promotion ........ 52% Play offs ........... 37% 7th-12th ....... 1% 13th-20th ...... 0% Relegation

100% Roland Out
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    didn't catch this one live (3am kick off). Just woke up and followed the whole match thread, looks like we should have been out of sight after 30 minutes... was Reeves any good..? (First half when he had some legs..?)
  • Options
    jams said:
    Watching the goals ..... their number 5 needs shooting for allowing Fosu to charge past him so effortlessly; their keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory either sliding out feet first. Tidy composed finish by Fosu, nicely done.

For their equaliser, the cross coming in seemed to take a bit of a deflection off JFC as he challenged.
    Solly got up well to head away from their forward but unfortunate that it was back into the centre of the box - however, that 1st time strike was sublime, premiership class finish.

• Options

Such a sweet left foot for Sarr.
    TBH we stormed the first 25, should have been at least 3 up, then faded out - Fosu especially . Reeves was anonymous, as was Magennis, and we didnt really trouble their keeper in second half mainly because of wayward shooting, which was dreadful.
    However, we controlled the match, were much the better team, without really causing much damage. Lots of pretty football that got us, well, not really very far , especially in 2nd half.
    As you can tell, very impressed with Sarr. Confident, skilful and his distribution was spot on.

cabbles said:

was the President there or are you just shit at this cabbies
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Just got home, a game we could’ve won but I’m sure they could say the same. Played pretty well in my opinion and unlike most away days I haven’t come away regretting going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

didn't catch this one live (3am kick off). Just woke up and followed the whole match thread, looks like we should have been out of sight after 30 minutes... was Reeves any good..? (First half when he had some legs..?)

Think Reeves touched the ball 4 times, not sure he had a role to play stuck on the wing and everything going through Da Silva and Fosu.
  • Options
    Must stop wasting so many chances, thought it wasn't a bad game by league 1 standards .
  • Options
    didn't go, didn't watch it & only read glimpses on the match thread.

My take on it all is that we are too wasteful with the chances that we do create & a team that is serious about promotion would be scoring them & winning games (Shrewsbury)

Big Josh is currently not at the races - last couple of games I've seen he doesn't put himself about enough for a lone striker / No 9 / or whatever his role is.

Problem is that we don't even have a Plan A (part 2), let alone a plan B. KAG & Dodoo are so inept up front even KR doesn't rate them for a last 10 min onslaught & so a tiring, ineffective & tiring JM has to continue. Until this situation is sorted out we will continue to struggle to beat teams. Yes, we will win more than we lose, but wont get enough wins to get into the top 2 & even a top 6 position (and thus play-offs) is still only 50/50. After deadline day we were all muttering "god forbid if Holmes or Big Josh gets injured" - now its "god forbid if Fosu gets injured" as at the moment he is the only one who looks like scoring. Holmes has gone off the boil along with JM, Clarke obviously has a niggle & can't play a full 90 mins, Marshall has been rushed back too soon & Reeves ....????

Sorry, but if anyone thinks that come January the SMT will change a habit of a lifetime (do leopards change their spots ?) and actually spend money & buy a striker to help /replace Big Josh is more deluded than Boris Johnson, Teresa May & David Davis put together.

I have said more times than I care to mention that goals win games. You can have as much possession & tippy-tappy football as you like but if you don't put the ball in the onion bag you wont win.....and strikers win games. If you don't believe me just ask Harry Kane, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Killer, Malcolm Macdonald, Brian Clough......

we have f**kwits running this club & no mistake. Novak scored tonight, Matt Godden got 2. The player brought in the replace the first, and a late substitute for the 2nd (yes, all puns intended) can't get onto the frigging pitch, match after match.
  • Options

Bottom line is simple people, really bloody simple: You don't get out of this League without a 25-goal scoring striker and we don't have one.

In 97/98 we had Mendonca, in 99/00 we had Hunt and in 11/12 we had BWP - these are the players who turn drawers into wins and losses into draws.

Without that player you are going to drop too many points and very, very few midfielders are ever going to score 25 goals in a season unless their name is Frank Lampard.

Wrong, Bolton last season.
  • Options

Such a sweet left foot for Sarr.
    TBH we stormed the first 25, should have been at least 3 up, then faded out - Fosu especially . Reeves was anonymous, as was Magennis, and we didnt really trouble their keeper in second half mainly because of wayward shooting, which was dreadful.
    However, we controlled the match, were much the better team, without really causing much damage. Lots of pretty football that got us, well, not really very far , especially in 2nd half.
    As you can tell, very impressed with Sarr. Confident, skilful and his distribution was spot on.

cabbles said:

was the President there or are you just shit at this cabbies
    If I slip up and misinterpret that the president was there through his descriptive post, then I hold my hand up. But me just showing that I was willing to stay up and bold highlight has gone a long way I feel in warding off the threat of ibborg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Was at the game. Amos pulled of a couple of good saves. I think josh has the Northern Ireland play off on his mind. I don't think he wanted to get stuck in just in case he got injured he looked really lazy. The Ref spoilt the game. Sarr really worried me at times but so how he got away with it. The Traveling faithful was in good voice and support for Robinson. Woke up this morning with Charlton on my mind. Great song.
  • Options
    I listened to the commentary, a draw isn't a bad result away from home to Oxford who are around us in the table. Win our game in hand and we're joint 3rd, in fact as we are playing 3rd Saturday thats a good chance to apply some pressure.

Still all to play for, just need to start turning some of the draws into wins which needs others to start finding the net. Who'd have thought Fosu would be on 7 now......... Bic Mac and Holmes on 4 then you drop down to a few players on 2. If we can't score more goals per game then we need to work on defence, our record compared to the top 2 is poor in that respect.