Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Transfer fee is now about £10.5m in UK inflation terms - in football inflation terms probably 10x that, ie £100m

can't see us spending £10m now on a player.
  • edited October 2017
    ross1 said:

shirty5 said:
    Probably the best player I have seen in a Charlton shirt and there are plenty of others I have admired
    ^^^This, Wiki says 9 goals in 16 appearances but I always thought it was 14? Had the pleasure of seeing two European footballers of the year on the Valley pitch in the same match, Simonsen being one and Keegan the other for Newcastle.

He beat Chelsea on his own in a 5-2 thumping, trouble was he was like a grand chess master two moves ahead with his thinking of the rest of his team mates.
  • It was like using a Rolls Royce for muck spreading having him in that team. Best player I have ever seen in Charlton shirt.
  • It was an astonishing coup for any club but all the remarkable that it was us and when Delboy Hulyer was behind it. Can't take it away from Hulyer though, we signed an active European Player of the Year and his ambition to fill the Valley was admirable, if naive. I can still see his first touches and movement at the Valley when he made his debut halfway through a reserve game and crossed for Killer who narrowly missed the target.
  • edited October 2017

It was an astonishing coup for any club but all the remarkable that it was us and when Delboy Hulyer was behind it. Can't take it away from Hulyer though, we signed an active European Player of the Year and his ambition to fill the Valley was admirable, if naive. I can still see his first touches and movement at the Valley when he made his debut halfway through a reserve game and crossed for Killer who narrowly missed the target.

The old West stand was pretty full that night and I think it was against Swansea. The crowd was a couple of thousand more than the usual hundred or so.
  • Just over 3000 i think.
  • Programme and news cutting from the game

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

Programme and news cutting from the game

You played in this game as well (not very well)
  • It was like using a Rolls Royce for muck spreading having him in that team. Best player I have ever seen in Charlton shirt.

Sums it up perfectly.
  • Unbelievable player
  • It was an astonishing coup for any club but all the remarkable that it was us and when Delboy Hulyer was behind it. Can't take it away from Hulyer though, we signed an active European Player of the Year and his ambition to fill the Valley was admirable, if naive. I can still see his first touches and movement at the Valley when he made his debut halfway through a reserve game and crossed for Killer who narrowly missed the target.

I remember that friendly, the crowd seemed a lot more than what was mentioned in that clipping.
    35 years, bloody hell, where has that time gone?
  • Watching him play alongside killer still seems surreal 35 years later.
    In those days we had an owner who loved the club but did not have the money to see it through.
    Nowadays we have an owner with money to burn but with no feeling for the Club.
    One day just maybe.

Dead right blacky.
    I loved it that Hulyer was a fan, not much older than us and determined to make something happen after years of gradual decline and decay under Glikstein.
    I remember how excited I was and gobsmacked that we would go for, much less get Simonsen.
    But of course, Hulyer built his house on sand and his speculate to accumulate plan ended in failure and damned near finished us for good.
    Still, someday one day, as you say.
  • Just think, in about 34 years they'll be able to tweet about us signing Roger Johnson for the second time

I never played well mate.
  • Used to play in the same football team as Hulyers younger brother. Both brother's loved the club. Was genuinely well intentioned.

Was in the West stand for that Swansea match. Great but all too brief memories.

I never played well mate.
    Not unexpected being a Spanner double agent :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Still the best player the that ever played for Charlton. Not my favourite , that would be Killer but the most talented by a country mile and to think he turned down Real Madrid and Spurs to come to us. What was he thinking?
  • Watching him play alongside killer still seems surreal 35 years later.
    In those days we had an owner who loved the club but did not have the money to see it through.
    Nowadays we have an owner with money to burn but with no feeling for the Club.
    One day just maybe.

Dead right blacky.
    I loved it that Hulyer was a fan, not much older than us and determined to make something happen after years of gradual decline and decay under Glikstein.
    I remember how excited I was and gobsmacked that we would go for, much less get Simonsen.
    But of course, Hulyer built his house on sand and his speculate to accumulate plan ended in failure and damned near finished us for good.
    Still, someday one day, as you say.
    Mark Hulyer's brother used to drink in the con club .last time I saw him he told me that Mark was struggling.
    Very sad,As you say he was one of us and he tried his best I would take him all day long over the prick we have now.
  • Imagine Hulyer with Roland's money.
  • Imagine Hulyer with Roland's money.

Dream ticket.
    Knowing our luck when Roland sells we will end up with someone with Hulyer's money and Roland 's ambition.
    3blokes will then start a new thread that will last for years.
  • RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

shirty5 said:
    Probably the best player I have seen in a Charlton shirt and there are plenty of others I have admired
    ^^^This, Wiki says 9 goals in 16 appearances but I always thought it was 14? Had the pleasure of seeing two European footballers of the year on the Valley pitch in the same match, Simonsen being one and Keegan the other for Newcastle.

He beat Chelsea on his own in a 5-2 thumping, trouble was he was like a grand chess master two moves ahead with his thinking of the rest of his team mates.
    No you didn't mate, Keegan didn't play that day - he was out injured (eye injury I believe)

and it was 9 goals.

I expect you were at the 7-6 game as well
  • What 35 years ago ,went with a good friend . Seem to remember hard tackle went on Simonsen within seconds of him coming onto the pitch,stayed on the floor for a little while and the crowd went quite.Big cheer went up when he got up.

SEEMS TO ME ITS NOT 35 YEARS AGO TODAY WE STILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR 10 TH NOV 1982.

SO CHARLTON ONCE AGAIN IS NOT WORKING AS IT SHOULD.
  • edited October 2017

RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

shirty5 said:

No you didn't mate, Keegan didn't play that day - he was out injured (eye injury I believe)

and it was 9 goals.

I expect you were at the 7-6 game as well
    Nope you're wrong as well, I've said before on here that I was not one of the 100,000 at the 7-6 Huddersfield match. I know it was 9 goals, that's what I wrote but thought it was in 14 games rather than 16. The memory is obviously playing tricks if king Kev was out injured. Are we sure he didn't walk out onto the pitch before the game :open_mouth: . Still the size of the crowd (I admit defeat in not being able to name them all) and reserve team opponents on his (Simonsen's) debut wasn't bad though, as subsequently confirmed by Dave Mehmet's memorabilia, was it :wink: .

Here's a clip of that 2-0 win with Simonsen scoring the second;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1sHM7nnnDZE
    (Tap on the YouTube link as It doesn't play automatically).
  • Take back what i said about Charlton not working as it should.

But something is wrong,Charlton magazine for the Burnley game 16 th Oct 1982 states Simonsen signed for us on Friday last week ie 8th OCT 1982.

Well when he pulled that Charlton shirt on for the first time and ran out onto the pitch one thing was for sure he was a class above everybody else.
  • Know for definite he made his full League debut on 13th November 1982 - which happened to be my 13th birthday. Now as presents go...