Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pitchside Announcer

2»

Comments

• BDL said:

I won't be coming back!

To be fair to Brian, the PA system is now over 20 years old (apart from the shit system Mowlem installed in the North to cut costs) and needs replacing - there were enough moans when I was doing it so it's not his fault.

Why not Dave?

Agree it's mostly down to an awful system.... no matter how well spoken someone is it will still come out of that system as a garbled mess.
  • BDL said:

I won't be coming back!

To be fair to Brian, the PA system is now over 20 years old (apart from the shit system Mowlem installed in the North to cut costs) and needs replacing - there were enough moans when I was doing it so it's not his fault.

Never say never BDL :wink: .
  • BDL said:

I won't be coming back!

I thought your beef was with the owner. I noticed on an Ebbsfleet comment, you said "our boys". Really. Why do you still come here then? This is for Charlton fans I thought!
  • If Brian turns up on Saturday he will find not too many people there.
  • Top of North Upper I can hardly hear it. Further down I can. In the quads it's clear and North Lower.
  • Heard him fine in the East stand
  • edited October 2017
  • BDL said:

@redman Just because I'm boycotting doesn't mean that I'm not a Charlton fan. My beef is with the owner, yes I want this gone with his entourage too. But like many others I've moved on. I cannot deny that I really enjoy working at Ebbsfleet, it's run by people I trust and admire. And before you say anything else I went to Ebbsfleet games long before I quit the Valley, just like others go to Bromley, Welling, Dartford. So I don't really have to justify myself to anyone do I?

Saying that when Roland goes and when fixtures don't clash I will be back at the Valley as I bloody well miss the place.

As for the job, I did my bit, I got to yell Champions at the Valley when we had the best manager we have had since Curbishley; winning a title with a record equalling points tally.

I just want to come back as a fan to support a team that battles with a board and a fanbase going in the same direction.

Fair enough. But if you are really saying you will support Ebbsfleet and only go to Charlton when they are not playing it's just sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:

BDL said:

@redman Just because I'm boycotting doesn't mean that I'm not a Charlton fan. My beef is with the owner, yes I want this gone with his entourage too. But like many others I've moved on. I cannot deny that I really enjoy working at Ebbsfleet, it's run by people I trust and admire. And before you say anything else I went to Ebbsfleet games long before I quit the Valley, just like others go to Bromley, Welling, Dartford. So I don't really have to justify myself to anyone do I?

Saying that when Roland goes and when fixtures don't clash I will be back at the Valley as I bloody well miss the place.

As for the job, I did my bit, I got to yell Champions at the Valley when we had the best manager we have had since Curbishley; winning a title with a record equalling points tally.

I just want to come back as a fan to support a team that battles with a board and a fanbase going in the same direction.

Fair enough. But if you are really saying you will support Ebbsfleet and only go to Charlton when they are not playing it's just sad.
    Where does he say he's changed his number one team, it's his job.
  • BDLBDL
    edited October 2017
    @redman I work on matchdays for Ebbsfleet, doesn't mean I, Dave Archer, Peter Varney or a whole host of others aren't Charlton fans.

Back on subject, I know they asked Roland to replace the system a couple of years back but he had other priorities. The Amps are now about 23 years old.
  • BDL said:

@redman I work on matchdays for Ebbsfleet, doesn't mean I, Dave Archer, Peter Varney or a whole host of others aren't Charlton fans.

Back on subject, I know they asked Roland to replace the system a couple of years back but he had other priorities. The Amps are now about 23 years old.

@BDL is that your band on Come Dancing an all? Hes called Dave Archer

; )
  • redman said:

BDL said:

This bit -

"Saying that when Roland goes and when fixtures don't clash I will be back at the Valley as I bloody well miss the place."
  • I quite like Brian Cole - he brings a nice positive energy to stuff like the Crossbar Challenge that other announcers might be a bit more reserved about (which would probably ruin it)
  • J BLOCK said:

redman said:

BDL said:

This bit -

"Saying that when Roland goes and when fixtures don't clash I will be back at the Valley as I bloody well miss the place."
    My work clashes with EVERY fixture, does that mean I'm no longer a fan?
  • Leuth said:

I quite like Brian Cole - he brings a nice positive energy to stuff like the Crossbar Challenge that other announcers might be a bit more reserved about (which would probably ruin it)

Totally disagree. I find the tone incredibly patronising and to be honest quite embarrassing especially when he announces Ricky Ricky Holmes!!!

Just my opinion of course.
  • Can’t wait till we play Palace next season!
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:

I won't be coming back!

Seems the issue is only in part the sound itself ... quite a lot of it is the content. The worst solution would be to invest in a new PA system as that would mean everyone could hear what's being said as opposed to only 50% as is the case now.
  • best pitch announcer is /was at Anfield.
  • best pitch announcer is /was at Anfield.

Do you mean the pitchside announcer, or the bloke on the Tannoy, Golfie? I like the Tannoy man, as he sounds like Lucien off The Liver Birds...
  • The cross bar challenge was a bit of fun until it was won. They needed something new after that and maybe bring it back in a couple of seasons.

Volume is a lot better in the North upper. Half time scores and then silence would be my choice as I prefer discussing the game with friends.

• Remember when the London Broncos put in that PA system .... wowzer
  • Clear diction can compensate a lot for a poor sound system.
  • I sit in the west upper and most announcements and sound from the big screen can't be heard. The second point suggests it is not just down to the announcer.

Many years ago two large Tannoy speakers were installed on the old grandstand and could be heard throughout the ground.

The current system doesn't appear to have any working speakers in the west upper.

I would have thought this could affect the ground safety certificate as clear announcements must be heard in an emergency.
  • BDL said:

We've had players who support us leave to play for other clubs. Are they no longer fans? They have a job to do, as do you Dave. It's a shame that you're not pitchside for us at the moment but I think most fellow fans know that under different circumstances you still would be.