Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Use of National Lottery funding

Never really given much thought to this as I generally accepted that lottery funding was for charitable and community projects that would otherwise struggle to achieve their aims and not necessarily attract central or local government funding be that in renovating, building or project work.

Today I was driving through Woolwich town centre and whilst stopped at traffic lights alongside the hideous Tesco building I noticed that the Catholic Church, St. Peters’ was clad in scaffolding with a sign displayed stating that the works were being funded by The National Lottery. ( in full or part I have no idea)

Now I have a bit of a problem with this. I’m not sure that the Catholic Church is a needy cause that should be attracting funding from the National Lottery. The Catholic Church is an organisation that accumulates wealth centrally and decides not to re distribute that wealth to help human suffering in general and allows its churches to fall into disrepair only it would seem because local church goers are conveniently expected to pick up the tab.

It would now appear that the Catholic Church is actively helping to redistribute the funds that the lottery has away from worthy causes in favour of itself.

Am I way off the mark with this ?

Comments

• They got 207k from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Which is a quarter of the cost of whatever they are doing.
    If it preserves a significant building and improves community facilities I have no issue.
    If whatever is done isn't inclusive of the whole community I share your concern.
  • Never really given much thought to this as I generally accepted that lottery funding was for charitable and community projects that would otherwise struggle to achieve their aims and not necessarily attract central or local government funding be that in renovating, building or project work.

Today I was driving through Woolwich town centre and whilst stopped at traffic lights alongside the hideous Tesco building I noticed that the Catholic Church, St. Peters’ was clad in scaffolding with a sign displayed stating that the works were being funded by The National Lottery. ( in full or part I have no idea)

Now I have a bit of a problem with this. I’m not sure that the Catholic Church is a needy cause that should be attracting funding from the National Lottery. The Catholic Church is an organisation that accumulates wealth centrally and decides not to re distribute that wealth to help human suffering in general and allows its churches to fall into disrepair only it would seem because local church goers are conveniently expected to pick up the tab.

It would now appear that the Catholic Church is actively helping to redistribute the funds that the lottery has away from worthy causes in favour of itself.

Am I way off the mark with this ?

I see why you say what you say but on the other hand 'the advancement of religion' is a legitimate charitable purpose and Roman Catholic parishioners buy lottery tickets so perhaps are allowed an indirect say in where the money goes?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charitable-purposes/charitable-purposes
  • Apparently it's a church designed by Pugin and it's to repair the roof.
  • iainment said:

Apparently it's a church designed by Pugin and it's to repair the roof.

Can’t The Pope pay for it ?

• iainment said:

Ask him.
  • edited October 2017
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Ask him.
    Steady on it must not detract from his goalkeeping duties...
  • as someone who hands out Lottery funds, it depends on the awarding body, so Heritage might allow churches as they are a key part of the nations heritage, while Big Lottery and Sport wouldn't.

It's also not technically true about it only going to charities, the Lottery act allows for funding to commercial organisations, its just not seen as the done thing. However, most big commercial orgs will have a charity/trust who can receive the funds.
  • Out of "Devilment" I just looked up how you contact him. Letter, basically.

I don't agree with any religion (or atheistic society) getting any public money (charitable or otherwise), or tax breaks, or having separate schools. I you want to indulge in religion, or fight it, fund it yourself...

I’ve e mailed him.

• Sponsored links:

• The problem is if it is a building that is of merit and/or an important part of our heritage that would otherwise fall down.
    The grant in this case is for 1/4 of the cost.
  • I’m no expert of course but I can’t see where this church has particular merit.
    Wasn’t even ever completed apparently.
  • edited October 2017
    iainment said:

The problem is if it is a building that is of merit and/or an important part of our heritage that would otherwise fall down.
    The grant in this case is for 1/4 of the cost.

I do get where you are coming from iainment. But where the building is owned and used by a wealthy organisation or individual, the onus should be on them to look after the upkeep. I as far as I know, I would be responsible for my house if it were a listed building? I appreciate that this was not listed when the church had it built.
  • I’m no expert of course but I can’t see where this church has particular merit.

Is that St Peters in Woolwich?

Is that St Peters in Woolwich?
    Yes

• I can think of another registered charity up the road in Charlton that could do with £207k but I may be biased.
  • Well looking at the lottery grants in Greenwich is a real eye opener. I'm no religious person but personally I'd more comfortable with grants going to the restoration and preservation of historic buildings / buildings of interest, than grants for things that have zero legacy, such as the 15k every year for Greenwich no car day, or the 15k for developing the vision of Woolwich Carnival

Can't believe £7.25m was granted last year to buy a painting!
  • If i've read it right greenwich have had nearly 800m.......