Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

henry - do we know what the numbers for season ticket sales

2»

Comments

• Options
    It's a fair point but my personal view is if you didn't buy when it was 100% off why would you buy at 50% or 25% off?

People have lots of reasons for not buying and some will just not want to bother in the CCC and pick and choose games. It's not uncommon for relegated teams to see their support drop. IMHO it will be the feel good factor and new signings that will swing it for the existing fans who've not renewed while it will be the low prices and freebie for U11s that will bring in the lapsed and new fans.
  • Options
    [/quote]. That's how lost leaders work in marketing..[/quote]
    Not only in marketing H. Try my profession where there are more lost leaders than in most and BTW they don't work much either, they prefer to leave it to us followers (who can't afford to get lost) to work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a fair point but my personal view is if you didn't buy when it was 100% off why would you buy at 50% or 25% off?

then if that was the case, then no one would of bought past the deadline, yet 500 have ???
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a fair point but my personal view is if you didn't buy when it was 100% off why would you buy at 50% or 25% off?

People have lots of reasons for not buying and some will just not want to bother in the CCC and pick and choose games. It's not uncommon for relegated teams to see their support drop. IMHO it will be the feel good factor and new signings that will swing it for the existing fans who've not renewed while it will be the low prices and freebie for U11s that will bring in the lapsed and new fans.[/quote]

I'm not sure what the sole reason would be for people not renewing prior to the 30th April, but can only assume; finances, the club didn't make it clear enough (?!) or simply people just forgot?

I can't really speak for other people, but with the offer cut off date coming during the back-end of the season and having to pay off the current seasons ticket still, people may want to wait until after their summer holidays, etc and then pay out for their ticket for the new season. This then brings us up to July and the beginning of August and I can see why Sheff Utd have their promotion up until the seasons kick off, as it doesn't penalise anyone. They reckon 25,000 will have snapped up a ticket due to this?!

I can understand why the club wants to get their ST sales out the way early, because as you say, some of it has already helped towards the expenditure on Luke Varney.

You're right in regards to new signings effecting the sales, but this 50% off offer wouldn't take much doing and would certainly jog the memories of those who "forgot about the 30th of April" - it can really push forward the next phase in the ST sales pitch and can be put out throughout the summer at events, much like the "£99 kids ST" offer on the mini coopers and on the back of the pressroom board during news conferences, last season.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a fair point but my personal view is if you didn't buy when it was 100% off why would you buy at 50% or 25% off?

then if that was the case, then no one would of bought past the deadline, yet 500 have ???

I worded that badly. I meant you wouldn't if the freebie was your primary motive for renewing

There maybe many reason as Dan B says but if the one was that the offer was "unclear" then the last thing you want to do is to over complicate it. And the Mini's are still around.

Sheff Utd have a different fan base and may well get 25k but they averaged 30,684 in a 30,936 capacity last year. We shall see.
  • Options
    Sir Henry - Mr D. No Nonsense has put a strong case over for CAFC extend the discounted rate offer at a reduced percentage. Would you please put your Fans Director's hat on and consider putting this notion to the committee and report back.

Thank you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Sir Henry - Mr D. No Nonsense has put a strong case over for CAFC extend the discounted rate offer at a reduced percentage. Would you please put your Fans Director's hat on and consider putting this notion to the committee and report back.

Thank you.

All these arguements went back and forth at board and target 40k meetings over many weeks. I've got a meeting at the club week after next so will see how the marketing is going. The club won't close the door and are more than happy to change if it is going to achieve the aim of the most people with the most income.
  • Options
    Sink please
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Sink please

A shirt or a discount I can understand, but a sink? Bit of a washout as an incentive to buy an ST, Dave.
  • Options

its our defence that needs plugging, not this thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]

A shirt or a discount I can understand, but a sink? Bit of a washout as an incentive to buy an ST, Dave.

Would it be stainless steel as I could do with a new kitchen sink? Is there a bidet option for Valley Gold holders?
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think the club have done us proud again in regards to ticket prices - just trying to put across potential ideas and/or answer ltgtr's comments and put a different view on it all.

Even I am sort of going around in circles, thinking the free ST didn't effect my decision, but then if it didn't effect me, then what about others? Then I beg the question would the 50% off then actually effect peoples decision to buy or not? - which in the end, makes all of the above a total load of nonsense?!

I think it boils down to how hard the club are going to hit the second phase of the ST sales. They either put the message out there "COME GET YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP ST's" or go all for it with "50% OFF ST's NEXT YEAR WHEN PROMOTED" - its going to just be an advertising spin which could swing it.

Thanks for the responses Ben.
  • Options
    No problem Dan, you seem to have talked yourself out the 50% idea : - )

Personally I think it "come and see Charlton go for promotion playing exciting football under Pardew at an affordable price" but I'm thankfully, not the marketing manager as that is too long and too complicated a message but all three will be factors.

Like the avater :- ) like with marketing sometimes simple is better.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah you would think that "come and see Charlton go for promotion playing exciting football under Pardew at an affordable price" should do the trick, and I dare say it has for the 17,500 already, but its those last few thousand that need some persauding.

Although I talked up the 50% off and then talked myself out of it again, another hour on, I firmly believe the offer is a MUST.

We certainly blew away the discounts which Bolton and Blackburn were offering, and the national press loved it! - another incentive should surely tip it for us again and take more plaudits away from the likes of league rivals Sheff Utd - hence more coverage, hence better marketing, hence (hopefully) more sales.

It's all a bit quiet from the marketing team at present, apart from an annoying splash screen upon official site entry, so something needs to be done to get it all going again. A few signings may do the trick, but we'll have to wait and see.

Also going back to your comment regarding the 30,000 or so average attendance Sheff Utd got last year, their previous Championship season was 23,650, so you can see why 25,000 would be a more realistic target for them for this year, being back in a lower league. To seal that sort of number they have seen the 50% discount as a must situation.

Assuming our board were the same and definately thought the 30th April would give more than enough time for people to renew and have since conceded that 17,500 will do?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Diawara: NO NONSENSE[/cite] 17,500 already, but its those last few thousand that need some persauding.

It's not at 17,500 yet. As you yourself said the motivation for those who haven't bought yet will be different to most of us on here (those who live the south of England that is ) who are by definition more dedicated and likely to renew whatever.
    [cite]Posted By: Diawara: NO NONSENSE[/cite]It's all a bit quiet from the marketing team at present, apart from an annoying splash screen upon official site entry, so something needs to be done to get it all going again. A few signings may do the trick, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think it's wrong to assume that a splash on the website is all that is happening or is planned. all the big summer events, shows etc are still to come, coverage continues in the local press and there will be more and those that have not renewed will be directly contacted.

[cite]Posted By: Diawara: NO NONSENSE[/cite]

Assuming our board were the same and definately thought the 30th April would give more than enough time for people to renew and have since conceded that 17,500 will do?

No way have the board or anyone said 17.500 will do and I can't see where you could get that idea from. They want to sell as many tickets as possible and have plans in place to do that as I've said.

I stand by what I said that if your main motivation was the freebie or discount you would have bought at 100%. Sheff utd have gone another route but that doesn't make it a must for us. If we had Bryan Robson as our manager even I'd need a lot of persuasion to renew my season ticket ;- )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

I stand by what I said that if your main motivation was the freebie or discount you would have bought at 100%. Sheff utd have gone another route but that doesn't make it a must for us. If we had Bryan Robson as our manager even I'd need a lot of persuasion to renew my season ticket ;- )

Yes, I think their post Robson appointment plans may change to paying supporters £50 a ticket