Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Murray

Comments

• Options

Riviera said:

Out of curiousity whats the difference between Andy Murray who hasnt played in the last year and Serena Williams and others who have had protected ranking when they've been out for a long period?

The fact that Serena Williams had a baby and was off the circuit for about a year may be why she had the protected ranking.
    I don't think Serena had a protected ranking although she has been lobbying for such. She has played a lot more WTA events than Murray did ATP over the last year. She did ok at the French and reached the Wimbledon final. The All England Club did seed her in the Ladies Singles as they are the only Slam that do their own rankings as opposed to the official ones.
    In retrospect I bet they're very glad they did seed her. It would have been embarrassing if Serena had ended up in the final unseeded
    She had a baby. She must have been seeded at some point
  • Options
    Currently playing Kyle Edmund in the Citi Open in Washington DC. 1 set all, Murray took the first on a tie-break but Edmund has just won the 2nd 6-1.
    Live on channel 408
  • Options
    GB's Murray took the deciding set 6-4.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Riviera said:

GB's Murray took the deciding set 6-4.

Well, I wasn’t expecting that result.....hats off to him....Edmund is no pushover and I expect he’s as disappointed as much as Murray is delighted.
  • Options
    Great win for Murray. He plays Copil in the third round. Win that and he's into the quarter final against Hyeon Chung (world no. 23), Steve Johnson (world no. 34) or Alex de Minaur (world no. 68).

He already has enough ranking points from this tournament to get back to around world number 500.

Beating Copil will have him inside the top 400.

Reaching a semi final puts him into the top 300.

Reaching the final would see him shoot up to around 170.

Winning the tournament means a ranking of around 110.

• Options
    Have to admire his determination.
  • Options
    Great to see Murray winning (even though it's a terrible result for Edmund)

What we need to see is Murray progressing through a tournament, the points and wins would be great of course, but it's especially important to see how his body holds up playing several matches in a week
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45055266

Through to the QF in a match that finished at 3am!
  • Options

Murray broke down in tears and was overcome by emotion at the end apparently.

So much for taking the easy retirement. What a sportsman. He is clearly leaving nothing on the table.

Read something the other day that two of our greatest sportsmen, Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton, are also our most hated.

Our attitude towards what it takes to win in this country beggars belief sometimes.

I think Murray is my favourite British sportsman - great attitude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great to see he is doing well again, hopefully he can remain injury free and get back to the top 10. Always thought he was class and best British tennis player, was a nice change when he was at the top from Henman/Rusedski constant failures.
  • Options
    Pulled out of the 1/4 final and the next tournament he was due to play. Basically knackered.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Pulled out of the 1/4 final and the next tournament he was due to play. Basically knackered.

A shame, but the scheduling is farcical, and hard for someone in peak fitness, never mind someone recovering from serious injury
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Interestingly a few people on twitter saying the tears were because he was limping towards the end of his last match and he knew them that he might not fully recover
  • Options

Riviera said:

Interestingly a few people on twitter saying the tears were because he was limping towards the end of his last match and he knew them that he might not fully recover
    He wasn’t just crying, he was sobbing uncontrollably out loud for fully two minutes, seemingly broken hearted and distraught.
    Something very very serious going on there, the likes of which I have never seen from a professional sportsman.
    Found myself with tears in my eyes just watching him in such distress.
  • Options

Riviera said:

He wasn’t just crying, he was sobbing uncontrollably out loud for fully two minutes, seemingly broken hearted and distraught.
    Something very very serious going on there, the likes of which I have never seen from a professional sportsman.
    Found myself with tears in my eyes just watching him in such distress.
    Just watching Azarenka leave her game in floods of tears after retiring from the match as well. She 2 has just come back(returned in March her last tournament before that was Wimbledon)
  • Options
    edited August 2018

So much for taking the easy retirement. What a sportsman. He is clearly leaving nothing on the table.

Read something the other day that two of our greatest sportsmen, Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton, are also our most hated.

Our attitude towards what it takes to win in this country beggars belief sometimes.

Ours? Murray is Scotland’s mate.

I respect him of course, like any winner, but personally never want him to win.
  • Options
    Strugggling against Pouille
    3-0 behind in 1st set and 2 breaks behind
  • Options
    Lost 1st set 6-1
    Looks a shade of his former self
  • Options

Struggling against Pouille
    3-0 behind in 1st set and 2 breaks behind

Interesting to see you spelling your name wrong and talking in the third person
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems to be 5-1 up in the second set though!
  • Options
    Won 2nd set 6-1

All that hard work then gives him his 1st service game of the 3rd
  • Options
    Lost.
  • Options
    Pouille is no mug. Murray will be very hit and miss for a good while while his body gets used to the stresses and strains.
  • Options
    Federer is basically accorded god like status in Switzerland.

Murray is a superb player, hope he achieves the heights he had before the hip injuries.

Tennis is not my favourite sport to watch to be fair,
  • Options

Pouille is no mug. Murray will be very hit and miss for a good while while his body gets used to the stresses and strains.

Pouille is the world number 20 at the moment, you'd expect him to beat Murray at this stage of his recovery
  • Options

Pouille is the world number 20 at the moment, you'd expect him to beat Murray at this stage of his recovery
    He was 9/4 Murray was 1/3
  • Options
    Good value on Pouille there. I would've snapped that price up in a heartbeat!
  • Options

I have a feeling he’s never going to reach those high spots again.......would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong.
  • Options

Ours? Murray is Scotland’s mate.

I respect him of course, like any winner, but personally never want him to win.
    So 'we' still haven't had a Wimbledon men's winner since Fred Perry and Henry 8th?