Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Curry thread.

Comments

• For those that like Thai,
    The Thai garden café will be opening soon in Greenwich. Open all day for breakfast and lunches.
  • The Oak. Widmore Road Bromley BR1 has a Thai curry night which is very popular.
  • Best Akbhar's in Bradford. Queues down the street on a Wednesday night. Naans the size of a table hung from stands to tear off. Also Svetlana's kitchen in Staines. Unusual South Indian menu and they didn't cook in ghee and had Sky football in part of the restaurant. Enjoyed Montys also.

If you happen to be in Bradford, the Kashmir on Morley Street do a fantastic chicken jalfrezi and the most garlicky garlic naan it’s possible to eat. Very nice indeed
  • Iceland should bring back the Atomic Vindaloo.
  • edited November 2017
    Just back from the Shampan in Chatterton Village, it was outstanding.
  • The Thai Garden
    Is now open in Greenwich if anyone fancies a lunchtime Thai.
  • The Jasmine in Bexleyheath at bottom of the Broadway opposite where Drayman used to be, has a growing reputation. Anybody on here tried it ?
  • I could murder a curry
  • I could murder a curry

SPG The Young Ones?
  • Sponsored links:

• Over the past year or so I started making my own currys and other stuff too. A couple of disasters at first but not as bad as some I've had from a takeaway or restaurant. I do like Tiffin Tin in West Hampstead for an occasional takeaway.
  • One of the main things I miss about being in England is curry. We have it here but it is never quite good enough. I particularly miss The Royal Nepalese in Westcombe Park and its signature dish Chicken Hariyali, often described (by me) as 'the thinking man's curry'. Wonderful and highly recommended.
  • Is it just me or has curry gone down hill.

Years ago I would have a curry 2 or 3 times a week and never get bored of them.
    Now it's once a fortnight and it's always bang average

The markets been saturated. Most 'Indian' takeaways are now run by Bengalis who don't know how to cook good Indian food. Far more Restaurants/takeaways all over the place now, but it's a lucky dip to find one who knows what they're doing.

Curry or sex?

Curry or sex?
    Both
  • Not enjoyed a take away curry for years now. Any recommendations around Dartford?
  • Here's the one I make myself. Local recipe from the Punjab area.
    Got fed up with having to explain it to friends, so uploaded it to Youtube a few years ago.
    https://youtu.be/CCvYL0R7dnA

I think it depends where you go. We had four curries while we were back in the UK in three different towns, three were excellent, the other let down by service rather than quality.
  • Mogul in Greenwich.

For a luxury Babur, Honor Oak, but I warn you...you won't get out for under £40 - 50 a head.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    We've changed in the UK. The working class used to consider anywhere that didn't chuck the food at us classy and we didn't like paying either. Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants provided at least a basic level of service and were cheap.

We can struggle with paying up or getting what you pay for maybe?
  • Danepak said:

Here's the one I make myself. Local recipe from the Punjab area.
    Got fed up with having to explain it to friends, so uploaded it to Youtube a few years ago.

This looks decent. Really disappointed with all the curries I’ve had since move to NZ
  • jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

Here's the one I make myself. Local recipe from the Punjab area.

This looks decent. Really disappointed with all the curries I’ve had since move to NZ
    That's why I started cooking my own. After I'd left London, the curries in NZ/OZ was a big disappointment.
  • edited January 2018
    Danepak - My advice is to buy a copy of Anjum’s (Anand) New Indian cook book. It’s a great introduction to Indian cooking and nothing like that video.
  • charltonJ said:

Not enjoyed a take away curry for years now. Any recommendations around Dartford?

Don't think I've ever really enjoyed an Indian takeaway. Never tastes anywhere near as good as eating in (sweaty naans being a particular bugbear)
  • You want to avoid Glaswegian grannies mate.
  • Mogul in Greenwich.

For a luxury Babur, Honor Oak, but I warn you...you won't get out for under £40 - 50 a head.

Don’t think I’ve ever had a good curry in The Mogul. Mind you I’ve never been in there sober.

• charltonJ said:

Not enjoyed a take away curry for years now. Any recommendations around Dartford?

Green Spice. Green Street Green.
  • charltonJ said:

Akash or Polash are quite good