Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

N Ireland v Switzerland.

2»

Comments

• iaitch said:

I really hope Northern Ireland win. Not just the British connection, but Switzerland bring nothing to tournaments and just make up the numbers.

Bit like England then.
    Oh come on... We dont make up the numbers, like the Brazilians and the Swedes we have the fans!!

• They played so well. Oh well. Josh can focus on us now.
  • They played so well. Oh well. Josh can focus on us now.

Hope you’re right but might have fired him up with confidence knowing he’ll be at a World Cup. Also can’t agree with some who selfishly are pleased as it benefits us, must be devastating for any player to be that close to going to a World Cup and missing out, how many chances will Josh realistically get, i’d suggest that was it.
  • I hope josh starts jumping for headers for us the way he did when he came on yesterday. Just sayin.
  • would of been really good to see northern ireland get there. they had a tough group and to come 2nd to germany i thought was a good showing.
  • Northern Ireland like Wales now are definitely at a cross roads and are at a dangerous time.

Both O'Neill and Coleman have done excellent jobs for the respective Nations and if they leave then the FAs really need to be careful as to why they employ (i.e. They've done a brilliant job in difficult conditions so it wont be difficult for the wrong appointment to undo all the good work that had been done) - Be amazed if O'Neill takes the Scotland job though!!
  • I sort of envy the N Ireland fans. They have such a great bond with the national team. Yeah they didn't make it but seems everyone is pulling in the same direction 100%
  • edited November 2017

iaitch said:

I really hope Northern Ireland win. Not just the British connection, but Switzerland bring nothing to tournaments and just make up the numbers.

Bit like England then.
    We bring comedy value and a deluded sense that we're better than we are..
    How does this myth persist when most people are of a like mind to you two? 95% of people I meet are just as negative about the England team (me included - although I don't give up on a lost cause, I wouldn't be an Addicks fan if that were the case) as you, and yet apparently we have a "deluded sense that we're better than we are"?

Too many people fall for the other home nations fans telling us that is what we are like - the same as '66 world cup, other than the odd commentator, I guarantee the next time you hear a fan in a pub mention the '66 world cup, it will be a sweaty going on about how we go on about the '66 world cup... :smiley:
  • N Ireland rather faded in their last few matches, with 2 defeats in their last 2 qualifying matches meaning they were no longer seeded, and faced hard opposition.

The Republic are no better really, but seem to be peaking at the right time
  • iaitch said:

Bit like England then.
    We bring comedy value and a deluded sense that we're better than we are..
    How does this myth persist when most people are of a like mind to you two? 95% of people I meet are just as negative about the England team (me included - although I don't give up on a lost cause, I wouldn't be an Addicks fan if that were the case) as you, and yet apparently we have a "deluded sense that we're better than we are"?

Too many people fall for the other home nations fans telling us that is what we are like - the same as '66 world cup, other than the odd commentator, I guarantee the next time you hear a fan in a pub mention the '66 world cup, it will be a sweaty going on about how we go on about the '66 world cup... :smiley:
    totally agree. I have to admit I got a bit excited in the first couple of world cups I saw us in. But that was 1998 and 2002, when we were pretty decent. Very unlucky to go out to Argentina and Brazil. Admittedly, we have been woeful since, and that is why I have no expectation for the England team. I think we have the right to expect to get out of the group stage, but then my expectations stutter. Anything above the 1/4 finals would be a bonus and anyone I know feels the same.

I haven't spoke to anyone who thinks we even have a decent shout at a good run, so where are these deluded fans who think we are so good?
  • Sponsored links:

• An apt result for the day that's in it (Sunday evenings are the crappiest of the week anyway - "looking forward" to a stupid o'clock start tomorrow).

In fairness, he said, fully expecting the Republic to fall short as well, there's possibly a decent team between the two.

Yeah, Republic of Ireland.
    It's cruel, I know, but there may be cause to reconsider....