Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Daily episodes of social awkwardness

On the train and just looked up from my phone and caught a bloke across the aisle innocently staring at me. There's that second of intense awkwardness as he has probably only been looking in my direction for moments but I've caught him and now he assumes I assume he's been gawping at me for minutes before shuffling uncomfortably in our seats and looking away. He's suitably embarrassed and I feel temporarily creeped out before we both look away. Nobody wins in this scenario.

Bit like the peepee/ peeper curtain twitcher scenario Mickey Flanagan recounts in one of his acts a few years back.

I'm often on the other end of this cringe-inducing scenario whichis far worse...usually will be staring blankly at the window and you'll go through a dark tunnel and see the reflection of the person in next row of seats in front of you facing you and you catch their eye...it is always an attractive woman who immediately assumes (wrongly but understandably) that you have been staring at them for ages leading to real awkwardness when in fact it was only a cursory glance and you're actually not even looking at them at all and so to prove this over compensate by maintaining your stare into the window for a good few seconds (which feels like hours) until you have proved your innocence.

Another example of this being getting on the train with phone on loud settings and inadvertently hitting the camera button as you open your phone so it makes the blaring camera sound leaving fellow passengers assuming there is a voyeur in their midst. You then overcompensate in an unwritten code by holding your phone down to show all that it was an innocent mistake and the blurred picture of your rucksack and the train floor was not an attempt to snap fellow commuter's legs for later viewing.

Any other things like this happen to anyone else or do I just over think this stuff?

Comments

• You go into the bog for a pee and there are 3 urinals.

Which one do you choose? Left/right or middle? There must be a few stories about this.

• On the train and just looked up from my phone and caught a bloke across the aisle innocently staring at me. There's that second of intense awkwardness as he has probably only been looking in my direction for moments but I've caught him and now he assumes I assume he's been gawping at me for minutes before shuffling uncomfortably in our seats and looking away. He's suitably embarrassed and I feel temporarily creeped out before we both look away. Nobody wins in this scenario.

Bit like the peepee/ peeper curtain twitcher scenario Mickey Flanagan recounts in one of his acts a few years back.

I'm often on the other end of this cringe-inducing scenario whichis far worse...usually will be staring blankly at the window and you'll go through a dark tunnel and see the reflection of the person in next row of seats in front of you facing you and you catch their eye...it is always an attractive woman who immediately assumes (wrongly but understandably) that you have been staring at them for ages leading to real awkwardness when in fact it was only a cursory glance and you're actually not even looking at them at all and so to prove this over compensate by maintaining your stare into the window for a good few seconds (which feels like hours) until you have proved your innocence.

Another example of this being getting on the train with phone on loud settings and inadvertently hitting the camera button as you open your phone so it makes the blaring camera sound leaving fellow passengers assuming there is a voyeur in their midst. You then overcompensate in an unwritten code by holding your phone down to show all that it was an innocent mistake and the blurred picture of your rucksack and the train floor was not an attempt to snap fellow commuter's legs for later viewing.

Any other things like this happen to anyone else or do I just over think this stuff?

I think you might be in denial Rodders :wink:
  • Greenie said:

You go into the bog for a pee and there are 3 urinals.

Which one do you choose? Left/right or middle? There must be a few stories about this.

Most blokes choose the floor
    @DaveMehmet doesn’t even make it that far.
  • The stresses of modern life eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• You go into the bog for a pee and there are 3 urinals.

At my work the protocol seems to be to go into one of the cubicles and piss everywhere , seat, floor, toilet roll the lot
    The go to pub and eat the peanuts on the bar?
  • Walking school runs are absolute horror shows for seeing the same people (who you don't know) at the same point every day.

Once you've breached 'ignore' up to 'smile' and then 'hello' you have to force yourself to stop there. Because if you surpass it with conversation then you pretty much have to think of a variation one-liner on a daily basis

My wife was the deputy at my daughters last school so rarely did the school run. When I did do it however, the amount of parents who I didn’t know who they or their kids were who would strike up a conversation was embarrassing. Always made a beeline for someone I knew whilst waiting for the gates to open.
  • McBobbin said:

Or when the two side urinals are taken, you go in the middle, both leave and someone comes in and assumes you picked the middle from an empty set

The middle one is only there to act as a buffer. Don't be tempted to 'align the planets' if you find yourself in this situation.
  • On the train and just looked up from my phone and caught a bloke across the aisle innocently staring at me. There's that second of intense awkwardness as he has probably only been looking in my direction for moments but I've caught him and now he assumes I assume he's been gawping at me for minutes before shuffling uncomfortably in our seats and looking away. He's suitably embarrassed and I feel temporarily creeped out before we both look away. Nobody wins in this scenario.

Literally just had this on the tube. She went straight to her phone to no doubt message her pals about 'some creep on the central line'
  • Always keep your phone on mute on the train, especially for the hilarious sex noise videos and for the occasional WTF moments?

I mean what the hell are those shoes (taken this morning) ? A mate once got a photo of a man with a rat on his shoulder on the northern line.

Nothing awkward about it mate, he's the backbone of the country, on his way to graft on a freezing cold building site and he's watching you, in your £300 brogues and blue pin striped, red lined tailor made whistle, sitting in his fuck seat, while he's standing by the doors!

; )
    Ha ha! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• What about the pissed up Doris in the New Cross Turnpike @cafcdave123 ? Made me feel so awkward, I ended up telling her to eff off
  • Fiiish said:

You go into the bog for a pee and there are 3 urinals.

Anyone who chooses the middle is clearly some sort of pervert and the appropriate authorities ought to be informed.
    Thank You! What sort of twat chooses the middle either a) when there's no one in there or b) when one of the end ones is in use and the other two are free.
  • cafcpolo said:

Always keep your phone on mute on the train, especially for the hilarious sex noise videos and for the occasional WTF moments?

I mean what the hell are those shoes (taken this morning) ? A mate once got a photo of a man with a rat on his shoulder on the northern line.

I see your northern line shoes and raise you these district line pants. ..Pinky kept getting busted staring, can't think why...

Shoes were DLR rat was Northern line!
  • What about the pissed up Doris in the New Cross Turnpike @cafcdave123 ? Made me feel so awkward, I ended up telling her to eff off

That's the turnpike for you mate, she was an absolute bellend though
  • Bumping into a known female neighbour in the supermarket, just as she's reaching for the Tena products.

What do you say?