Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v MK Dons | Sat 18 Nov | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes Dons
Saturday 18th November 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire)

Introduction

It’s been three weeks since our last League game yet it certainly feels longer; a 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon kept the pressure on our rivals yet since that day there hasn’t really been a pause in proceedings… Three cup fixtures have ensured match fitness, yet an enforced break last Saturday due to International fixtures was a welcome break for the majority of the squad as we slowly approach the busiest stage of the season – This Saturday marks the beginning of two home fixtures in four days for the Addicks; starting with Milton Keynes Dons.

The Opposition
Name: Milton Keynes Dons | Manager: Robbie Neilson
Ground: Stadium:MK

No doubt one of the fixtures that Karl Robinson looks forward to most… Having earnt his reputation in Milton Keynes it’ll be a welcome reunion for our Manager. Having been sacked after a disappointing start last season; Milton Keynes decided to bring in Robbie Neilson from Hearts as his replacement, certainly not the first Scottish Manager to move south of the border looking to test themselves in the English game.

Neilson having guided MK Dons to safety and mid-table last season has had an indifferent start to the season this time around… Robinson in his recent interviews has our opponents as one of the main players in the Division this term yet Neilson’s team have struggled for form this season and are currently battling around mid-table once again.

A televised tie in the FA Cup against Hyde Utd two weeks ago showed that the Dons do appear to be in a false position and with Chuks Aneke having scored two luxury goals in his last two games mean that our defence will need to be at their best to shut him out… Naturally Ben Reeves was always going to be a difficult player to replace when he decided not to renew his contract yet Aidan Nesbitt signed from Celtic in the summer will certainly be trying to pull the strings from Midfield this time around.

Charlton Team News
We may not have played in the League for three weeks yet it doesn’t mean that Karl Robinson has gone easy on his squad… As mentioned three cup fixtures have been played and along with a friendly (against Queens Park Rangers) it’s meant that the squad have remained fit and focused as we make a return to the main prize.

Naturally in goal we’ll see Ben Amos starting once more and having kept two clean-sheets in his last two games will be hoping to continue that good form; with Jason Pearce still injured the question of who’ll step into Defence will remain yet having survived 90mins with the England U20s in midweek you’d fully expect to see Ezri Konsa lining up alongside Patrick Bauer… The main concern will be with Tariqe Fosu who limped off injured in the Football League Trophy; Robinson wasn’t overly concerned yet should our top-scorer be missing then Mark Marshall will no doubt make his first league start in an Addicks shirt.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Konsa | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Reeves | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Jackson | Aribo | Clarke | Marshall | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Despite not playing last week; the Addicks moved up to third place and after this Saturday will close in on second… With Charlton having played less games than the majority around them this is an opportunity to start cranking up the pressure and fully expect another three points to be remaining in South East London come Saturday evening!!

Comments

• Someone on Facebook said that Billy Clarke was on crutches.
  • Hope that we have hit a bit of form but this is Charlton after all. I predict a win now but in full anticipation of being mildly perplexed and disappointed with a poor performance and result by 17.00 on Saturday.

2-1

0-1 (with Charlton goggles on)
  • dickplumb said:

Someone on Facebook said that Billy Clarke was on crutches.

Cos it makes sense to do your Xmas shopping in Bromley while out injured!
  • 3-1 to KR's Red & White Army
  • Ironic that we play AFC and MKD in consecutive league matches...

It'll be interesting how Josh reacts to the disappointment of N Ireland's defeat
  • 2 - 1 to the Addicks in a close game
  • Ironic that we play AFC and MKD in consecutive league matches...

It'll be interesting how Josh reacts to the disappointment of N Ireland's defeat

Perhaps he can get all that Russia nonsense out of his head and use it to make contact with the ball during a game.
  • I think you are right FA about Fosu and I expect Marshall to start with Fosu on the bench. Squad looking good, now let us see how good. I am going for a 3-0 win, although the last time I predicted this score was against Wigan
  • Sponsored links:

• Tight game but Charlton win
  • 2-0 and we keep on rolling.
  • 1-1 Holmes to score first, then we concede a later equaliser.
  • Comfortable 3-1 win.
  • edited November 2017
    Hopefully the three weeks will have been spent relaxing then refocusing. I'd like us to look to control the game with possession more, like we did against Fleetwood and earlier in the season in games like Northampton. We've defended well in the last couple of matches but we have the quality going forward that we should be looking to keep the ball more, and when we get it, not just look to get it forward as quickly as possible.

I believe MK Dons play 3-5-2, which the 4-2-3-1 is set up well to combat. I believe we've won all of our games against teams who play with three at the back: Northampton, Oldham (I think they started with three at the back then switched to 4-4-2), Fleetwood. This is the type of game where Magennis is so key because he drags the three center backs all over the place and occupies all three of them. Aneke and Agard are two forwards who are good at this level. I hope we'll have a bit too much for them.

*Bury may have started with three at the back, I can't remember
  • MK Dons should not be taken lightly. I have gone for a 1-1 draw.
  • Repeat from a few years back . 5-1. Magennis puts his international misery behind him with 4, Reeves with the 5th and celebrates by spitting in to the away end.

That 5-1 was a cracking game, if i remembering it right Aaron Wilbraham scored that unbelievable half-volley from about 40 yards out to put them 1-0 up?
  • dickplumb said:

Someone on Facebook said that Billy Clarke was on crutches.

He's replied to my questioning saying he's sure it was him and that he was with Liam Trotter. I'm not familiar enough with the group, let alone the lad to know whether or not to believe him but 1) it seems like an odd thing to lie about and 2) if he is on crutches it'd be odd if he was out and about.
  • Surprised there has been no press conference today?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    To be honest; cant see Billy Clarke in any of the below photos...

Unless he's the one closest to Magennis with his back to him in the first one?
  • A nailbiting 2-1
  • Agreed, a nailbiting 2-1. I think most of our home games will be tight affairs, with the opposition parking the bus.
  • To be honest; cant see Billy Clarke in any of the below photos...

Unless he's the one closest to Magennis with his back to him in the first one?

No that's Solly (I can tell because of the boots he's wearing).
  • 2-0 and hopefully close the gap between us and the top two.
  • OK people, time to fess - up. If we lose I'll take full responsibility, after many years I've finally had to dispose of my lucky pants. Now, it's been a hard decision and they didn't always work, but the wife forced me to ditch them. So far this season when worn to games it's been 3 wins out of 3 , so if it all goes tits up on Saturday, it'll be all down to me and no lucky pants, although I'll still be wearing some (thankfully). I still reckon we'll win though 3 -1 , Big Mac, Holmes and BFG.
  • Our biggest win of the season .

Not for any particular reason other than I'm working and I can't make the game.
  • This tie still haunts me from the 0-0 at The Valley back in December 2016. Was probably the worst game of football I have ever witnessed, and that's going some all things considered.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!