Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson: I've brought the culture back to Charlton

Comments

• edited November 2017
    I wonder if he was actually at the Bromley Addicks meeting or just lifted the stuff from here. No problem either way but would like to know.

Good article though

Edit: Emailed him and he came to the Bromley Addicks meeting and took notes.
  • redman said:

Good article. I like to believe our protests have helped bring this about.
    Manager who knows the league
    and to quote "The scorched earth approach extended to the squad. Out went footballers sourced through Duchatelet’s network of minor European clubs and in came those Robinson describes as “honest players”."
    Many of things we want, but not all.
    Roland, Daisy and Murray still must go.

Hard to say what's caused the changes, personally I suspect that RD himself realised that his use of network managers network scouting model wasn't working with us. After all if you look at Alcorcón they have a squad full of Spanish players and a Spanish manager, no Karel Fraeye types there...
  • Got a lot of time for him. He certainly speak nonsense sometimes but I also find him very insightful a lot of the time. In listening to press conferences and interviews it's clear he scouts opposition very well. And it really seems he's brought us into the modern football era with stuff like this:

"For a typically meticulous modern manager — drone technology, statistics and a wealth of video analysis are all valued tools"

He also clearly closely monitors players' performance and often talks about the amount of running they do. I would prefer it if he had a more eclectic, tactically astute assistant who had at least some coaching experience. I still think having only two coaches, one of whom is also a player, is risky and I think there is some room for improvement in terms of things like transition play, breaking the game down into phases, controlling the game etc. But it should be noted we're only in League One and coaches who are good with that are hard to come by in this country full stop and it seems clear we've bulked up our sports science and scouting apparatus.

All that said, the whole "English managers never get a chance" is nonsense. Eddie Howe has done some good things but it seems clear that he's hit his ceiling for now. I don't know why Silva is the one who is always picked on but it's clear that he's going to be a real top manager. The fact that there aren't a lot of English or even British coaches is because they're simply not good enough and you need only look at the ones who have managed in the Prem in the last few years to see that (McCleash, McClaren, Lambert, Moyes, Clarke, Ince, Sherwood, etc).
  • If he's still here when the Belgian pricks have gone I'd like him to stay on as manager, as things stand now.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he's right, he has.
  • As far as I'm concerned, the juries still out, provided he can get the players he needs in the forthcoming transfer window, and get us promoted, then I will consider him a decent manager. If, (big if) we get to the championship, and he keeps us there, then one of our better bosses, that's if the old skinflint over in Belgium will back him. Will R.D.,and his sidekick still be with us then? That's anybodies guess.
  • Stig said:

So if the culture is back (can't believe Greenie hasn't jumped on that little phrase yet) is it safe to go back?

Two shat's still there, Meire still here, Meire still playing Poor Me in the Belgian press, Keohane still here...

Think I'll give it a miss.

Agree that until the SMT are gone it’s probably still not going to have our ‘culture’ back, but pleased for KR. I had no problem with him when he came in, wasn’t 100% sure and still aren’t how good a coach/manager he is, but love his passion and enthusiasm and his work ethic

Also like our back room 3 of him, JJ and Bowyer, I reckon, by chance, we’ve got a proper good set up there of good blokes
  • What is the Culture?

Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s back, attendances would back that up.

What he has done, is got the team playing some good football and hopefully instilled a team spirit. Which is a step in the right direction.
  • Reading the interview it's clear he's talking about the playing side of the club, the areas which HE can have some control over

• I think he means the football.
    Robinson has restored a footballing culture that was a process started by Slade and Nugent. The day to day work isn't haphazard as it used to be. The signs were there pre season especially as early as the Ireland trip compared to the Austria trip last year.
    Robinson has been concerned with all the footballing coaching and player preparation issues and not going on about tablecloths. It was a non existent footballing culture when Slade arrived, he helped it on a bit but Robinson has restored some credibility as a football club.
    Whether Robinson has the right methods (in my view he has the best since Powell) remains to be seen, and whether he is simply undermined by the regime (the signs there there lurking in the background...Doodoo...) But Robinson has helped restore the football culture if not yet the club culture.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

FORD said:

So who does he say was responsible for removing the culture?

Mistakes were made. That's it. We are not allowed to ask about these mistakes or get comment on what exactly these mistakes we're and how they plan to avoid them in future.

We simply have to accept mistakes were made and that they've learnt from them.
    It’s “disrespectful” to suggest RD has made mistakes, according to Night-Meire. And according to him it’s the fans who were responsible for relegation anyway.
  • FORD said:

So who does he say was responsible for removing the culture?

Mistakes were made. That's it. We are not allowed to ask about these mistakes or get comment on what exactly these mistakes we're and how they plan to avoid them in future.

We simply have to accept mistakes were made and that they've learnt from them.
    It’s “disrespectful” to suggest RD has made mistakes, according to Night-Meire. And according to him it’s the fans who were responsible for relegation anyway.
    I held my hands up, its just you lot that won't accept it. ;)
  • Welcome to the Culture Club
  • ross1 said:

Welcome to the Culture Club

Time :wink: