Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v MK Dons - Match Thread

Afternoon everyone as light rain falls in South London on a gloomy grey day. Will Charlton be a complete shower, or will we be dancing in the rain at 5pm (5.05 if the ref gets knocked out again)

Team news below. Thoughts ?

Come on you reds

Comments

• Options
    Following on from what @SDAddick just said on the Match Preview - Hope it is a case that Fosu has been dropped because of that niggle picked up against Peterborough rather than the simple fact that Mark Marshall is now fit.

Either way he's definitely going to be a great option from the bench and doubt there are many teams who could put their top scorer on the bench and in some ways be even stronger

Or is that just another sign of how weak up top we are
  • Options
    Where's Patrick the BFG?
  • Options
    Ben Reeves didnt get a very good reception from the MK Dons fans when his name was read out
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    daveroan said:

Where's Patrick the BFG?

Picked up a knock.
  • Options
    daveroan said:

Where's Patrick the BFG?

Injured, also Clarke
  • Options
    Yep think Fosu on the bench is simply rotation. He's played a lot of minutes and we now have options there. One of Marshall or Reeves is likely to come off so he will get on.

Clarke must be injured?
  • Options
    Comfortable win- that would be nice.
  • Options

Afternoon everyone as light rain falls in South London on a gloomy grey day. Will Charlton be a complete shower, or will we be dancing in the rain at 5pm (5.05 if the ref gets knocked out again)

Team news below. Thoughts ?

Come on you reds

Thoughts? Well, first off, when was the last time we started with two wingers numbered the good old-fashioned way, 7 and 11?

Second, why are Wales playing in BLUE against Georgia.

Third, how funny would it be if Geogia happened to win?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fosu fit enough for the bench but no point risking him from the off with another game on Tuesday. It's a just as well Reeves and Marshall are now ready to go. Add back in Bauer, Clarke and Pearce when fit and that is currently our best 15 players at the club IMO. Hopefully they're chomping at the bit, don't start sluggishly and Josh gets on the scoresheet COYRs
  • Options
    Bauer is a cracking defender, but this line-up means we have 10 proper ballplayers
  • Options
    9 if we're not counting Big Converted Keeper Josh Magennis
  • Options

Following on from what @SDAddick just said on the Match Preview - Hope it is a case that Fosu has been dropped because of that niggle picked up against Peterborough rather than the simple fact that Mark Marshall is now fit.

Either way he's definitely going to be a great option from the bench and doubt there are many teams who could put their top scorer on the bench and in some ways be even stronger

How would it be a sign of weakness? Or do you mean it's a sign of weakness that Fosu is our top scorer?

To the latter I would say this system is designed to get goals from those attacking three, and as such I think it has worked pretty well. Not perfect, but I think Clarke, Holmes, and Fosu have 9 or 10 between them (1, 4, 6 is it?).

On the whole Fosu being dropped, he is definitely a player who relies on space in behind the defense. Given they're going 4-1-4-1 I suspect MK Dons will sit deep and look to hit us on the counter. If that's the case I think having that natural width could be key in stretching the defense.

We're in a situation now where we have depth in attack so KR has the freedom to select players he thinks are tactically best against the opponents instead of the team picking itself because KAG is the only other option for the attacking three.
  • Options
    And, finally, defending corners could be a bit fraught today.
  • Options
    down to the bare bones again - the subs bench JJ and the creche.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Ever fancied playing up top @Leuth ?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Leuth said:

Bauer is a cracking defender, but this line-up means we have 10 proper ballplayers

I think that's very harsh on Bauer. I think his range of passing is equal to Konsa's if not better, though Konsa is obviously far better carrying the ball out of defense. Sarr's range of passing is obviously the best. I think playing on the left side is awkward for Bauer and it has definitely impacted his passing, especially when he is forced really wide when Kashi drops between the center backs. I think his technique is good, it's more about getting comfortable with the balls on certain positions and situations he's probably not that used to.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Leuth said:

Ever fancied playing up top @Leuth ?
    In my (currently discontinued) 11-a-side I ALWAYS ask for the last 15 minutes up front. I'm usually put at left-back or something instead :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tuning in from downtown Yangon from the Double Happiness Bar (yes, it does sound dodgy). COYR.
  • Options
    @johnnie_jackson is putting the back four through their paces.

⏱We are 20 minutes away from kick-off! #cafc

• Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    sm said:

down to the bare bones again - the subs bench JJ and the creche.

He's been on the bench in I think every game. I suspect the thinking there is that he provides cover at left back (especially with Sarr at CB), he can come on in central midfield to help shore up the game and potentially help defend last ditch long balls or corners into his own box, and he can be thrown on in the last few minutes to try to get a header or something in the opposition box.

I know he has far more experience, but I would personally trust Dijksteel in midfield more, but I think Jackson's ability to get dramatic goals and theoretically cover at left back late doors means he's been in the squad ahead of Dijksteel.
  • Options
    Glad Sarr’s playing.
  • Options
    Here’s @LewisPage3 who was in the club shop earlier today signing autographs for young fans with @CAFCWomen’s Kit Graham #cafc

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO7DGniXcAA17Fk.jpg
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

How would it be a sign of weakness? Or do you mean it's a sign of weakness that Fosu is our top scorer?

To the latter I would say this system is designed to get goals from those attacking three, and as such I think it has worked pretty well. Not perfect, but I think Clarke, Holmes, and Fosu have 9 or 10 between them (1, 4, 6 is it?).

On the whole Fosu being dropped, he is definitely a player who relies on space in behind the defense. Given they're going 4-1-4-1 I suspect MK Dons will sit deep and look to hit us on the counter. If that's the case I think having that natural width could be key in stretching the defense.

We're in a situation now where we have depth in attack so KR has the freedom to select players he thinks are tactically best against the opponents instead of the team picking itself because KAG is the only other option for the attacking three.
    Yeah meant that Fosu being our top scorer isnt a Striker and with him off the field the next highest scorer is at least three behind (?) which still isnt Magennis if Im right
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!