Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Live - Podcast out - Reaction to Milton Keynes including interview with Karl Robinson

edited November 2017 in General Charlton
Listen live via our website here - http://www.charltonlive.co.uk/listen-live/ or if that doesn't work, via the tune in website here - https://tunein.com/radio/Charlton-Live-s268151/ - or via the Tune In app on your mobile phone/tablet.

We're back at 7pm this evening to talk about yesterday's 2-2 draw with Milton Keynes, hearing from Addicks boss Karl Robinson. We'll have at least forty-five minutes of furious debate about the penalty as well as hearing highlights of the game. We'll celebrate @KillersBeard 's 50 years as a Charlton fan, our player in focus is Ben Reeves and of course we'll look ahead to Tuesday's game with Rochdale.

Contact the studio -

Email studio@charltonlive.co.uk
tweet @CharltonLive
or Comment in this thread

Comments

• Options
    Bump, live now
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

When talking about the game yesterday I think it's really important to remember that we absolutely bossed the game until their goal. Their goal came from basically their first chance. Up to that point I think it had been one of our most assured performances at home--dominating possession and creating chances. We probably should have been two or three up by the 63rd when we conceded.

After that we were poor, but I just didn't want the first 60 minutes to be overlooked because we often only focus on the end of matches (understandably).

Great show again, as always... but feel like I've had to live the same frustrations twice now.

A bit late now, but my 'as a referee' opinion on the penalty decision is below...

- (starting with stating the obvious...) The referee not giving it straight away means that he's at least not seen enough to give the pen, doesn't think it is one or really isn't sure.
    - Linesmen are generally told before the game (in my experience) that you basically become the referee when play is in your 'zone'... which is basically a right-angled triangle in their corner of the pitch - in which they're always going to be closest official to the ball. So generally lino's call is the most important one in these areas.
    - If it's 'near' to the linesman but they're not in the best position, referees tend to go for one of the below stances (this may differ at a professional level):
    * don't flag - I'll take responsibility if I'm best positioned
    * flag only if you're 100% sure that I've missed something (this being more common)

The problem with the second is it creates this grey area, it's very hard to overrule a linesman flagging because you either don't think it's a foul or aren't sure, and they must be 100% sure to be flagging. If you're leaning towards 'no' and you're in a better position but the lino is flagging away... you've got a couple of seconds, what do you do? Also, in front of 10,000+ people it's embarrassing to have a very high profile 'not on the same page' moment with a linesman, and that's going to be in your head too.

I think that given the referee's proximity to the penalty decision he had to see it well enough to overrule if he didn't think it was a penalty, but for me - the linesman flagging from a far, far worse position than the referee makes him the worse of the two... creating a confused, pressurised decision for the referee at that stage of the game.

...I hope I've either bored the tits off you or it was a little bit interesting!