Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

November Budget

Comments

• Options
    Great budget. What are you pinkos moaning about? Wind yer necks in...
  • Options
    Surprised nothing on pensions tax relief etc like @golfaddick

Stamp duty for FTB's just in time for all the amateur landlords to dump property, call me cynical...... that said it might help some get on the ladder, I remember selling a property back in 07 which stuck a bit as it fell into the then higher stamp duty bracket. I ended up paying the buyers stamp duty and getting a higher sale price, by doing that I had a queue of buyers.

Fairly tame budget really but then we are a way away from an election apparently.
  • Options

Scrapped 1st time buyer stamp duty 2 months after i buy my first place. Good idea, shit timing.

Paid £8k less than a month ago after saving hard for bloody years. Fuming!!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    First time buyers, buying up to £500K, what world do these people live in?
  • Options

Rothko said:
    Just about gets you a garden shed in Bromley
  • Options

Rothko said:
    Does partly depend on age of first time buyer and where they are on their career path, but two city workers earning 50k each could easily borrow up to 475k.
  • Options
    If stamp duty and a railcard is how the Conservatives are hoping to persuade the young voters to join them, they're screwed.

Other than that they've literally done nothing of note. Too scared to.
  • Options

Great budget. What are you pinkos moaning about? Wind yer necks in...

Go on then, enlighten us.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Rothko said:
    Does partly depend on age of first time buyer and where they are on their career path, but two city workers earning 50k each could easily borrow up to 475k.
    Two city workers, that will go down well with the rest of the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lucky you, Greenie. Enjoy that feeling, mate.

We just completed our first house purchase last Friday at 300k. The 5k stamp duty we just paid would have bought a lot of furniture!

This coupled with losing 15k by transferring my cash back from China BEFORE the Brexit vote and adding the 12k I’ve paid in rents over last two years because I didn’t dare buy until the Mrs’ immigration status was secured (see Mrs. May’s savings/earnings requirement for partners of non-EU spouses) means I’m feeling a bit hard done by.

5 freaking days too early.... 5 freaking days!
  • Options

We just completed our first house purchase last Friday at 300k. The 5k stamp duty we just paid would have bought a lot of furniture!

This coupled with losing 15k by transferring my cash back from China BEFORE the Brexit vote and adding the 12k I’ve paid in rents over last two years because I didn’t dare buy until the Mrs’ immigration status was secured (see Mrs. May’s savings/earnings requirement for partners of non-EU spouses) means I’m feeling a bit hard done by.

Did you (or Mrs Siv) previously own property in China? If so, the change would not have helped you, according to Sky News: "The Treasury says residential property anywhere in the world is counted when determining...." the first-time buyer status.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Rothko said:
    Two city workers, that will go down well with the rest of the country.
    The rest of the country will be fine as they'll be catered for in the £300k limit (in the main). Your question was FTB's buying up to £500k what world do these people live in. Clearly they live in a London/South Eastern and maybe some other major city/areas around the country.

Try finding something in say Clapham, Balham, Richmond and numerous other places for under 300k.
  • Options

Cheers mate, that's gutting for you, but I'm sure the new house will be spot on for you, all the best
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Did you (or Mrs Siv) previously own property in China? If so, the change would not have helped you, according to Sky News: "The Treasury says residential property anywhere in the world is counted when determining...." the first-time buyer status.
    Nah... first time anywhere....

Can’t see how they would trace property ownership outside of EU/West!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much the first time buyer policy is costing the treasury to create the estimated 3500 extra buyers?
  • Options

Due to complete the purchase of my first property on Friday, big up Phillip Hammond for scrapping the Stamp Duty charge

Genuine good for you mate but I feel royally screwed over. Saving for over a decade without any bank of mum and dad etc and earning pittance interest and finally buy (and stretch ourselves to avoid moving again soon what with stamp duty etc) and bang..... Weeks later Int rates rise and stamp duty abolished. £6.5k grrrrr!!
  • Options
    edited November 2017

cafcfan said:

Nah... first time anywhere....

Can’t see how they would trace property ownership outside of EU/West!
    Yeah, I wondered that too. A bit like the Yanks asking on a visa application whether you've ever been a terrorist or involved in any way in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies.. I wonder whether, in the whole history of the US of A visa regime, anyone at all, ever, has been dumb enough to say yes to that question?
  • Options

Due to complete the purchase of my first property on Friday, big up Phillip Hammond for scrapping the Stamp Duty charge

Genuine good for you mate but I feel royally screwed over. Saving for over a decade without any bank of mum and dad etc and earning pittance interest and finally buy (and stretch ourselves to avoid moving again soon what with stamp duty etc) and bang..... Weeks later Int rates rise and stamp duty abolished. £6.5k grrrrr!!
    Cheers mate, I'm sorry to hear that mate, it's proper shit. Let's just hope that maybe you can recoup your money in the future through house prices rising or something!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    GDP New forecasts (March forecast in brackets)
    2017 1.5 (2)
    2018 1.4 (1.6)
    2019 1.3 (1.7)
    2020 1.3 (1.9)
    2021 1.5 (2.0)
    2022 1.6

1-2% a year growth for the next 5 years is dreadful.
  • Options

Does anyone know how much the first time buyer policy is costing the treasury to create the estimated 3500 extra buyers?

• Options

Jeez that's worse than I thought if true. I suppose there will be an increased tax take in the event it pushes prices up further though to help offset this. Not that that helps with raising deposits, etc.
  • Options
    No one mentioning the NHS? They arent happy, but its a step in the right direction.
    From the Beeb

The extra money announced by the chancellor in the Budget for the NHS in England is not enough, health service bosses say.
    Philip Hammond announced an immediate £350m boost for this winter followed by £1.6bn more next year for the front line above the rise already planned.
    The chancellor described it as an "exceptional" measure, which recognised the pressures the service was under.
  • Options
    If it's any consolation, almost every recent major tax change seems to have been timed to stitch me up.
    I missed out on the benefit from the last SD restructure three or so years ago which cost me over £3k extra, and they did away with CGT indexation AND increased income tax on trusts just as I had to deal with the winding up of a family trust and disposal of a property. And no indexation on property is an outrage, particularly as I'd spent a fair bit on it to increase the value, not strictly allowable for CGT purposes.
    My attitude to paying tax has changed over the last few years from being a strict by-the-book payer to using every legal strategy I can to reduce my bill.
    I'm just playing by their rules.
  • Options
    I shall be writing to HMRC to tell them to keep my additional £3.80 a week as a result of the budget so they can spend it instead on investigating those bastard mega corps who are stealing money from the general public by not paying what they actually should do.

So shove that in your mocha choca skinny latte with almond milk and tofu sprinkles tossers.
  • Options

No one mentioning the NHS? They arent happy, but its a step in the right direction.
    From the Beeb

The extra money announced by the chancellor in the Budget for the NHS in England is not enough, health service bosses say.
    Philip Hammond announced an immediate £350m boost for this winter followed by £1.6bn more next year for the front line above the rise already planned.
    The chancellor described it as an "exceptional" measure, which recognised the pressures the service was under.

It is a step in the right direction but I will wait to see the details as this government (and the Coalition) have a bit of previous with the NHS.

In the past they have double counted money by moving money from one place to another, added additional responsibilities that needed to be paid for with the new budget and don't adjust for inflation. They have said that they will fund the next pay rise separate from the NHS budget but have previously said that all pay rises would need to be funded from the existing budget.
  • Options

From the Beeb

£350m boost for a whole season is very different to £350m a week :wink: