Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More photos

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

And apparently a Charlton Reds and a Charlton United.

And a Charlton Nil

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

I meant to say, has anybody any info on Charlton Albion?
    They were a CAFC also.

I wonder if they played out if the Albion pub? Charlton / Woolwich dockyard on the lower road, the pub that’s there now (now closed I think) doesn’t seem old enough, was there a pub there beforehand?

Good point.

A lot of the 19th century building around the Woolwich Road suffered bomb damage or was demolished afterwards for slum clearance/road widening.

Haven't got time to search for it right now - but a good possibility there was an earlier Albion pub there or close by.
    There was definitely and older version of The Albion down in that area although not in the precise location. I have some old maps at home and will look later.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Ooh, it's exciting, this. It's like Fiona Bruce and Philip Mould only better.

There's very little that's better than Fiona Bruce and a discussion of team photographs from over a hundred years ago isn't one of them. Well, depending on your point of view, but only one of those has an effect on my libido.
  • Options
    Red, is this what you're saying:

Compare Pre War Photos v2

I do think that's better.

Oggy, good point about actually having the silverware to hand and your right about two teams rather than one. For the record, if they did have had any trophies it would have been for the previous season, in which case it's Lewisham D2 Winners and Woolwich D2 Winners.
  • Options

I also think the player seated on the left of the front row in both photos is the same player.

That's the most likely 'same person' out of all the ones proposed so far.
  • Options

Don't know if these have been shown before, so apologies if they have. The training photo had a date of 1939; this sounds about right as my dad (Stan "Ticky" Armitage) is in it (third from front, next to railings, behind Don Welsh and another).

That photo on the right is in a book I flicked through at W H Smiths a few weeks ago. Something like 'Football then and now', I think.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Oggy, good point about actually having the silverware to hand and your right about two teams rather than one. For the record, if they did have had any trophies it would have been for the previous season, in which case it's Lewisham D2 Winners and Woolwich D2 Winners.

Yes.
  • Options
    The old Albion pub was still there in 1962 when I worked at AEI
  • Options
    Having looked at the photos, i don't think these are the same people. Most of the eye brows, ear positions (lobes), shoulders and nose bridges are all different.

However, excellent photos and thank you for all of the added info people.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Stig said:

Yes.
    I think the bottom pairing could be the same person and the one above that probably not but the other two most definitely not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the training photo Bert Johnson is the fair haired guy about 4th from the left in the black top. Has a box ? down by his feet
  • Options

There was also a Charlton Amateurs team that our Charlton regularly beat

Charlton Amateurs, do you mean SMT?
  • Options
    @Red_in_SE8

You should have gone to specsavers.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Amazing photo.....look at the dirty pile of frozen snow in front of the wall.
    All us little lads wore short trousers back then......freezing cold or not!
    That’s how we won the war!
  • Options

Amazing photo.....look at the dirty pile of frozen snow in front of the wall.
    All us little lads wore short trousers back then......freezing cold or not!
    That’s how we won the war!

• Options
    That really is an awesome photo,but just wondering how many Bournemouth supporters are in there too...;)
  • Options
    I can clearly be seen dead centre of photo
  • Options

I can clearly be seen dead centre of photo
    What are the chances of three very tall people all ending up in the same place?
  • Options
    There's one bloke in the pic not wearing a hat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There's one bloke in the pic not wearing a hat.

I believe he got drummed out of the service pretty soon after!

Great photo, my dad and uncle might be in that.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I can clearly be seen dead
    centre of photo
    That's how I read it at first.

Glad to know you're still alive and kicking Blackpool!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I can clearly be seen dead
    centre of photo
    That's how I read it at first.

Glad to know you're still alive and kicking Blackpool!

Only just :neutral:
  • Options

Perhaps Elfsborg will give you the kiss of life, while you're waiting for him to buy you a drink?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Perhaps Elfsborg will give you the kiss of life, while you're waiting for him to buy you a drink?

He's in Brazil at the moment.
    Looks like it's down to you Oggy mate :blush:
  • Options

I'll definitely buy you a drink the next time we meet up at Chesterfield.
    At Saltergate, I mean ...... on condition Ernie Moss plays for them and Killer Hales scores our winning goal.

It'll still be quicker than waiting for Elfs. Allegedly.

;o)
  • Options
    1939 Valley Training Photo - Think It's Eric Lancelotte third behind Bert Johnson
    Lancelotte was instrumental in Keith Peacock joining Charlton
  • Options
    Wow, that floodlight is where I took shelter (behind the concrete pyramid stanction) during the snow blizzard that stopped the game v Southampton in that same year I think?
    Seems like another lifetime. Was just a kid then. Now I'm just a bitter, sour anti-Regime vinegar pisser