Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Peterborough match thread

Comments

• Options
    Wha

Very poor first half..apart from first 5 mins holmes has been poor. Midfield is non existent. .almost 2-0

In the first 5 minutes (and until they scored) Holmes was playing number 10 and didn't touch the ball once. We've been better since he has gone out to the wing.

No idea why Robinson decided to start Josh on the left.
  • Options
    Thank good for that can warm hands with a coffee
  • Options
    You've got to admire what Wilder is doing with United. Watching this reminds you just how big the gap is between us and the championship now.
  • Options

Very poor first half..apart from first 5 mins holmes has been poor. Midfield is non existent. .almost 2-0

Bit harsh Chips. He has been at the heart of all our moves for most of the game. Marshall, apart form a good shot early on, I have forgotten he was playing.

• Options
    Strange for 20mins I couldnt understand how Peterborough had gone on a winless run - After I could as instead of terrorising us with pace theyve cowered behind the ball

We can win this if they continue with that attitude yet the ball into the box has to be better and the players need to support each other; Best bust his gut to get on the end of a long ball from Sarr... Headed it back into the danger area yet no one had bothered to make the run.

Most teams seem to want to score the perfect passing goal; Charlton on the other hand only seem to be interested in scoring worldies
  • Options
    Dear oh dear. This is appalling. We look flat as hell and so many of them are way off the pace. Bauer is having an absolute nightmare.
  • Options

Has played there a few times for N.Ireland.

• Options
    We only play down the left, predictable
  • Options
    tbh, after about 20 mins we have dominated this game and Posh have been relying on breakaways. My concern is that we are too distant from each , we just play as 11 individuals and dont hunt in packs.
    Posh look poor tbh, not even as good as Rochdale last week.
    There have been 2 off the line, and i'm sure we will get something in second half.
    Magennnis has been very quiet - even more quiet than usual - i had to double check with my mate who is at The Valley to make sure he was playing.
  • Options

Strange for 20mins I couldnt understand how Peterborough had gone on a winless run - After I could as instead of terrorising us with pace theyve cowered behind the ball

We can win this if they continue with that attitude yet the ball into the box has to be better and the players need to support each other; Best bust his gut to get on the end of a long ball from Sarr... Headed it back into the danger area yet no one had bothered to make the run.

Most teams seem to want to score the perfect passing goal; Charlton on the other hand only seem to be interested in scoring worldies

From what ive seen Peterborough could be 4 up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

From what ive seen Peterborough could be 4 up
    Yeah from the first 20mins they could be but they're retreating into their shells a bit rather than keeping on the pressure.

It MIGHT come back to bite them
  • Options
    Not sure Magennis and Best know where they are both meant to be playing - very disjointed.

We only have one game plan which is pass to Ricky on the left and hope he can produce - absolutely nothing going through the middle or the right.
  • Options
    No attacking threat whatsoever - don't look like scoring.

Pboro look far more dangerous on the break - cracking free kick for their goal.

Bauer playing very badly so far.
  • Options
    Their goalie made some great saves. Da Silva’s crossing was good first 30 mins but they have sussed out everything is coming down our left. Need a plan B.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Some bizarre comments on here. We have more attacking threat than in the first half against Rochdale. Trouble is Posh are much better than them, and we have given them a goal. Still confident we can pull this back. Magennis and Best combo still not following a clear formation for me.

Yeah I'm confused as well. We've been sloppy at times but we had a 20 minute stretch where we were all over them. To get booed off at halftime...well football fans are fickle, aren't they.

That said: we cross aimlessly. It's clear our players have been told to cross early and often a la Man United under Moyes but as you would expect with any team with Steven Taylor in it Peterborough look more than comfortable defending crosses.

Leon Best has barely had a sniff other than to totally miscontrol the ball which fell to Josh who drew a good save out of Bond. He looks a yard or two off the pace which you would expect. Starting Best has given Josh more freedom, which I think is good for him, but expect Best to be the first one off.

Bauer and Konsa have looked uncharacteristically shaky. As I mentioned earlier some of that is down to us not putting pressure on the ball quickly enough, allowing 'Boro to run at them in space. That is not good for Bauer, and Konsa has been caught out of position a bunch--though to be fair he's playing as an attacking fullback which is not the most natural for him. But we need to be more controlled with the ball and more compact in the second half. That includes putting pressure on the ball when we give it away, and being smart with how we use the ball (read, smarter with when we cross).

Naby looks solid as per. He's getting better at understanding when to play and when to just put the ball out.

Holmes and DaSilva look very dangerous down the left but the final ball is lacking. See above about crossing. Jay is usually very good about trying to play quick one-twos to force a better position but it's clear he's been told to get the ball in the mixer tonight. Peterborough are a big team and they look comfortable defending crosses. We need to be smarter, more patient, and more intricate to get their defenders turned--any side with Steven Taylor will be susceptible to getting turned--and break them down.
  • Options

Has played there a few times for N.Ireland.

I thought that may have been the case. Seems a waste to have Ricky down the middle when we barely passed it through there in about 4 seasons.

Its a worry when Nabby Sarr looks like our best passer of a ball.
  • Options
    Midfield. Hello. Are you there?
  • Options
    I think i need to say this quietly, but, i just dont think Magennis is very good tbh.
  • Options
    someone needs to introduce Holmes to DaSilva, who is always running into a sensible position to receive the ball and is a far better crosser of the ball.
  • Options
    Just stick KAG on and hope he finally remembers he's a footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not good.

Not even sure what formation we're playing. Who's the number 10 as Holmes is wide.

Please be fit soon Billy Clarke.

Still 45 mins to get back into this.
  • Options
    sm said:

someone needs to introduce Holmes to DaSilva, who is always running into a sensible position to receive the ball and is a far better crosser of the ball.

I think theyve been playing well together tonight, but Posh have obviously done their homework (like i have) and there's always 3 around Ricky.
  • Options
    A game of two halves...hopefully.
  • Options

Do we practice crossing?

Dracula's favourite club.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Just stick KAG on and hope he finally remembers he's a footballer.

It is frustrating that KAG is mainly a Striker yet hasnt played cos of Magennis - Best comes in and we sort of revert to 442... Why not do that with Karlan rather than sticking him out wide
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

So sad :(image

Our grounds too big for us...

...all the time Roland's here.
  • Options
    Kids football up and down the country we teach them to defend goal side so someone please tell me why from a free kick on the edge of our box most of our players are standing the wrong side of their man, allowing them a free run to get on the end of the ball and score. It’s so fucking basic yet we can’t manage it, shocking defending.
  • Options
    Elliot dropped to Newcastle sub bench tonight
  • Options
    just wondering, are Konsa and Holmes playing recently as if they are off in January?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Dasilva on both teams, confusing

Their Da Silva lopes but our one runs fast.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!