Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD Valley Party tribute - December 9th, 2017

Rosettes to celebrate the contribution of the Valley Party in the 1990 Greenwich elections and that of all the other campaigners, volunteers and individual funders to the return to The Valley will be available from 1.45pm today at the Charlton Lane end of Harvey Gardens, in Floyd Road near the main entrance and in Ransom Walk by the railway arch.

We also take a moment to remember in particular the following candidates, who didn't live to see the 25th anniversary of the return:

Dick Ayers
Brian Bird
Chick Fowles
Kevin Fox
Gary Hannant
Colin Holland
Rosina Larking
Gwen King
Vic Skinner
Brian Smart
Bernie Taylor

and any others whose passing we don't know about.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    The last time I wore a rosette to a football match was when we played Blackburn at Wembley. We may have had one or two drinks as we made our merry way there and as we approached the stadium one of the guys bought a whole load of them and handed them out...
  • Options
    CARD said:

Rosettes to celebrate the contribution of the Valley Party in the 1990 Greenwich elections and that of all the other campaigners, volunteers and individual funders to the return to The Valley will be available from 1.45pm today at the Charlton Lane end of Harvey Gardens, in Floyd Road near the main entrance and in Ransom Walk by the railway arch.

We also take a moment to remember in particular the following candidates, who didn't live to see the 25th anniversary of the return:

Dick Ayers
    Brian Bird
    Chick Fowles
    Kevin Fox
    Gary Hannant
    Colin Holland
    Rosina Larking
    Gwen King
    Vic Skinner
    Brian Smart
    Bernie Taylor

RIP

Used to go to Primary School with Gary Hannant. Can still picture his mum and dad standing outside the main stand selling whatever it was they used to sell. The whole family were Addicks through and through and when my son was being born in Queen Mary's, Sidcup, the grandson of Audrey was becoming a father at the same time. He's named after the entire squad from 1972 (I think).
  • Options
    RIP To the above candiates
  • Options
    That's a sobering list. I guess I knew Gary best. He and his parents could always be found in the Valley Club helping raise funds back in the day. CAFRO I believe.

I like to think that we all pulled in the same direction back then but I guess that social media might have brought differences out even then?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

CARD said:

Dick Ayers
    Brian Bird
    Chick Fowles
    Kevin Fox
    Gary Hannant
    Colin Holland
    Rosina Larking
    Gwen King
    Vic Skinner
    Brian Smart
    Bernie Taylor

RIP

Used to go to Primary School with Gary Hannant. Can still picture his mum and dad standing outside the main stand selling whatever it was they used to sell. The whole family were Addicks through and through and when my son was being born in Queen Mary's, Sidcup, the grandson of Audrey was becoming a father at the same time. He's named after the entire squad from 1972 (I think).
    Used to live in Appleton Road, just up the road from me.
  • Options
    RIP to a splendid bunch of people. I had already gone out by the time this message was posted, so sadly missed out on a rosette.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

CARD said:

Dick Ayers
    Brian Bird
    Chick Fowles
    Kevin Fox
    Gary Hannant
    Colin Holland
    Rosina Larking
    Gwen King
    Vic Skinner
    Brian Smart
    Bernie Taylor

RIP

My family knew the Hannants well back in the 70s at the club. I remember one being named after the entire team.
  • Options
    I think I knew Gary too and definitely remember one of the kids being named after the entire team.

Hopefully yesterday all of those wonderful people had their rosettes on in heaven knowing that they played a huge part in making yesterday even a possibility. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a good night in Charlton village. A few hours reminiscing with the political wing of the supporters club in the White Swan and then a nightcap with the military wing in the Bugle!
  • Options
    Excellent night and made up for the football to some extent. Good to see old friends and meet a few new people, including the German Addicks and some of the ROT party instigators. Thanks for the drink @Cardinal Sin - tried to reciprocate but you must have headed off to the Bugle by then.

Felt rather rough this morning. I blame @Curb_It.
  • Options

Excellent night and made up for the football to some extent. Good to see old friends and meet a few new people, including the German Addicks and some of the ROT party instigators. Thanks for the drink @Cardinal Sin - tried to reciprocate but you must have headed off to the Bugle by then.

Felt rather rough this morning. I blame @Curb_It.

So do I Weegie, so do I.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

CARD said:

Dick Ayers
    Brian Bird
    Chick Fowles
    Kevin Fox
    Gary Hannant
    Colin Holland
    Rosina Larking
    Gwen King
    Vic Skinner
    Brian Smart
    Bernie Taylor

RIP

I used to live on the same estate as the Hannants.