Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Xmas party dilemma - to take your minds off CAFC, not happening takeovers, etc

I've been temping doing digital comms for the last 3 months and was invited to the xmas party which is nice of them however its the day after my contract ends (Monday), and they haven't extended it despite a new hire not coming until an unknown date in the New Year despite saying they might, and I wont get paid to attend (Tuesday). They did talk about extending me until I said I was taking my agency accrued holiday from next Thursday until the 2nd.

They are an OK bunch but I'm not that bothered about going to it - a sit down meal etc, if I was being paid like everyone else would be, I'd go..

What would you do?

Comments

• Go to The Millers Bexley Village.
  • yup, but I have to get there, shall I ask for travel expenses? I do have other things I'd rather be doing..

• edited December 2017
    I wouldn’t bother going. I wouldn’t even bother going in on Monday either....unless you need the money (assume you won’t get paid if you don’t go in?)
  • I would go and enjoy yourself, you never know what connections you could make for future work. Sounds like they are a nice bunch and nice of them to invite you.

Either that or go and get pissed and give the MD a Glasgow kiss.
  • edited December 2017
    Go, be nice, stay reasonably sober, you never know if it will leave a good impression for future work that you were friendly with the team, made an effort to go etc.
  • Go! Get pissed, abuse everyone, shag the office bike and make a right t*at of yourself. You'll probably find they extend your contract if you follow that sound advice.
  • Go and have a laugh. They may offer you more work (even in the future) the basis of getting to know you more on a personal level . If not you've lost nothing
  • razil said:

I've been temping doing digital comms for the last 3 months and was invited to the xmas party which is nice of them however its the day after my contract ends (Monday), and they haven't extended it despite a new hire not coming until an unknown date in the New Year despite saying they might, and I wont get paid to attend (Tuesday). They did talk about extending me until I said I was taking my agency accrued holiday from next Thursday until the 2nd.

They are an OK bunch but I'm not that bothered about going to it - a sit down meal etc, if I was being paid like everyone else would be, I'd go..

What would you do?

I suppose it comes down to if you want a free lunch and drinks on your day off or if you have others things you'd rather spend your time doing.

It might be that you were included in the numbers before your leave date was decided and if you do go you'll be forever remembered as that weird temp that came to the Christmas do despite having finished working there "yeah, I think he was only invited because we were all talking about it in front of him"

• I'd go - nice way to say goodbye to everyone & you have 2 weeks unpaid "leave" after that anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• So......there is such a thing as a free lunch !
  • Flip a coin. Heads is go; tails is don't.

Don't actually look at the coin once you've answered - but when it's under your hand, what do you want the answer to be?

And there you have it - whichever you were hoping for, act on that.

#PsychologicalLifeHacks
  • Where is the moral high ground in this? Go there.
  • edited December 2017
    Go, but dressed like this. Make sure Rudolph gets well fed.
  • How far do you have to travel to get there? - Are we talking about a mission into London using SouthEastern or just a few stops on the tube sort of journey... If its the former then check what the latest train is, you dont really want to be going where you have to leave @ 9pm to ensure you get the last train home as they dont seem worth the effort to have to cab home
  • Macronate said:

How far do you have to travel to get there? - Are we talking about a mission into London using SouthEastern or just a few stops on the tube sort of journey... If its the former then check what the latest train is, you dont really want to be going where you have to leave @ 9pm to ensure you get the last train home as they dont seem worth the effort to have to cab home

You had to make it about trains didn't you.
    Did you like how I added the word "cab" rather than taxi so it kept with the train theme ;)
  • Go if you get on with them and enjoy their company
  • Sponsored links:

• I think you should stay home and work on your fences :wink:
  • Go. Look upon it as a business opportunity/networking exercise. A couple of drinks and a free meal with a few people you don't seem to mind for a couple of hours before making your excuse is a small price to pay if it potentially leads to more work, improved contacts, maybe a reference, etc.

• you sound like you don't want to go so don't go
  • I wouldn't bother.
  • razil said:

I do have other things I'd rather be doing..

I don't think we can help, until we find out what would you rather be doing.
  • Asking for travel expenses to a Christmas Party? You must be joking... in most jobs you have to pay to go to the actual party!
  • yes but you would be on the payroll..
  • edited December 2017
    iamdan said:

Go to The Millers Bexley Village.

• It’s a no from me.