Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 16 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Might have been mentioned already but KR has claimed we have another injury from someone that appeared against Portsmouth. My money is on Reeves

Him carrying a knock is the only sensible reason for not bringing him on at the 60 minute mark against Pompey. The game was calling out for him. Clarke was utterly anonymous. We desperately needed someone who could out their foot on the ball and pick a pass. Instead we brought on KAG and Best. Two good options from the bench, but not what the game needed.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

There is no reason why the attacking three from last Saturday should start again tomorrow. They were all absolutely awful, and for Holmes and Marshall it wasn't for the first time in recent weeks. That said, I fear they will start again.

This is my guess on the starting XI, for whatever it's worth:
    .............Amos
    Solly Konsa Pearce Sarr
    ........JFC Aribo
    Clarke Holmes DaSilva
    ..........Magennis

Bench: Phillips, Lennon, Jackson, Marshall, Reeves, KAG, Best

Can Sarr or DaSilva play right back? At the moment, Solly isn't looking worth a starting place. Or perhaps play Konsa, Pearce and Sarr as a back three, five across the middle and Magennis and Best up front?
    I was thinking now that we have center backs coming back to fitness is might be worth taking a look at a back three. We have a lot of good center backs, and it would help cover for Pearce's lack of pace and ability with the ball. It would also give our central midfielders a bit more freedom.

The problem remains, right wingback. I don't think Solly had the pace or athleticism to do it. I think DaSilva would be good on the other side. Maybe you could play Marshall there, akin kind of to what Dortmund did last year under Tuchel where they'd play with one winger (Dembele, Pulisic) and one defender (Schmeltzer, Durm).

I like the idea of a 3-4-2-1 with two attackers having the freedom to roam

Amos
    ...... Konsa Pearce Sarr
    Marshall JFC Aribo DaSilva
    .... Clarke........... Holmes
    .............. Magennis
    Like the look of this team - just wish we had a better option than Magennis.
    If played well, this could give a lot more natural width to provide Magennis with crosses. The problem is Marshall's propensity to hit the defender in front of him or the first man with every cross.
  • Options
    I dont know how old the clip is yet there are videos of Ben Reeves training so dont think its him out.

Based on his poor performance I actually wouldnt be surprised if its Solly who is injured, his levels do seem to drop prior to missing the next game
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I dont know how old the clip is yet there are videos of Ben Reeves training so dont think its him out.

Based on his poor performance I actually wouldnt be surprised if its Solly who is injured, his levels do seem to drop prior to missing the next game

Yeah good shout. He missed Fleetwood after being skinned alive against Walsall when it turned out he was carrying a knock. Same with Swindon away last year where he was awful.
  • Options
    3 or 4 nil Blackburn...could be more
  • Options
    Wheels are off season could well be over 3-0 .
  • Options
    0-1. Hreidarsson
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton
    Stephens with a screamer, Yann with the winner...
  • Options
    Sage said:

2-1 Charlton
    Stephens with a screamer, Yann with the winner...

:'(
  • Options
    edited December 2017

We're 6th ffs. We're 6 points off automatic promotion places. We have a game in hand on the teams directly above and below us. Yes we're in a bad run of form but have some perspective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

There is no reason why the attacking three from last Saturday should start again tomorrow. They were all absolutely awful, and for Holmes and Marshall it wasn't for the first time in recent weeks. That said, I fear they will start again.

.............Amos
    Solly Konsa Pearce Sarr
    ........JFC Aribo
    Clarke Holmes DaSilva
    ..........Magennis

I was at the game as I'm sure most of us were, and I can't agree that Marshall was awful. Not great admittedly, but hardly awful. I think he'll increasingly come good with more matches.
    Holmes had a poor game by his standards, but we need to work on a plan to negate other sides' tactic of double marking him.
    I thought Best and KAG looked livelier than Josh, so I'd like to see one or both start, but agreed, that looks unlikely. Best's header was decent; well directed, and with a bit of power considering the cross was a floaty one.

But I fear by by tonight we'll be out of the play off places. Can see anything other than a win for Pompey against Bury, and the likelihood is that we'll lose by a couple of goals. But you never know with this team. If things click we might produce an upset.
    However I'll go with 3-1 Blackburn

PS Looking at your midfield line-up, I think we lack a 'scary' midfielder. If you were the other team looking at that midfield you wouldn't be expecting much of a physical threat.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

.............Amos
    Solly Konsa Pearce Sarr
    ........JFC Aribo
    Clarke Holmes DaSilva
    ..........Magennis

I was at the game as I'm sure most of us were, and I can't agree that Marshall was awful. Not great admittedly, but hardly awful. I think he'll increasingly come good with more matches.
    Holmes had a poor game by his standards, but we need to work on a plan to negate other sides' tactic of double marking him.
    I thought Best and KAG looked livelier than Josh, so I'd like to see one or both start, but agreed, that looks unlikely. Best's header was decent; well directed, and with a bit of power considering the cross was a floaty one.

But I fear by by tonight we'll be out of the play off places. Can see anything other than a win for Pompey against Bury, and the likelihood is that we'll lose by a couple of goals. But you never know with this team. If things click we might produce an upset.
    However I'll go with 3-1 Blackburn

PS Looking at your midfield line-up, I think we lack a 'scary' midfielder. If you were the other team looking at that midfield you wouldn't be expecting much of a physical threat.
    Agree about the scary, or defensive midfielder. I would start Dijksteel, and would have started him last Saturday as well. That line up is my prediction not what I would pick.

I also have a slight suspicion that Kashi might turn out to be fit. This is based on nothing beyond a hunch.
  • Options
    We seem to have a bit of a habit of sneaking wins in these sort of games - Bolton away last season, Bradford this - but cannot see us getting anything today.

Would give KAG or Best a start but it won't happen. Midfield of Aribo and JFC far too lightweight, Solly out of form, Holmes and Marshall not at their best. We'll be bouyed by the return of Pearce, but soundly beaten. 4-1 Blackburn.
  • Options
    Want to watch this on iFollow, but there doesn't seem to be a way of linking to the £5 per match option: https://www.rovers.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    you'll need to head to Matches -> Live Match Centre!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We're 6th ffs. We're 6 points off automatic promotion places. We have a game in hand on the teams directly above and below us. Yes we're in a bad run of form but have some perspective.
    Had we been on fire before that and ripping this leauge up maybe. However, we all know that largely even when results were good performances were not. Now the results are matching the performance.

• Options
    Leuth said:

you'll need to head to Matches -> Live Match Centre!

Live Match Centre doesn't appear of my drop down menu...
    (I'm on Blackburn's site, 'Matches' is on the bar, but the drop down starts with 1st team fixtures, 1st team results, but no Live Match Centre?
  • Options
    Click on Matches...
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Major revelations at the Valley, Ben Reeves actually trains !

Considering KR was knocking one out for months over Reeves and Marshall joining us, what a complete and utter disappointment they have been so far. If he believes them to be two of the best players in this leauge, we are in real trouble.
  • Options
    This season is already over as a competitive project

Pity the FL don't award points for powder puff pointless football or we could be in an automatic promotion spot.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017

Pity the FL don't award points for powder puff pointless football or we could be in an automatic promotion spot.

You're well grumpy. The season isn't over, even though we're not setting the league alight.

I'm far more grumpy about iFollow.Even with help from @Leuth I can't figure it out.

Clicked on 'Matches', but just got this: https://www.rovers.co.uk/matches/fixtures/

Clicking on our match takes you to audio commentary.
  • Options
    You click on the Live Match Centre for our match on that page. And you make sure you're 'not in the UK' - a match pass will appear in small writing! Just log in and you'll be able to buy it!
  • Options
    edited December 2017

SDAddick said:

Had we been on fire before that and ripping this leauge up maybe. However, we all know that largely even when results were good performances were not. Now the results are matching the performance.

But what if...we started to play better. Especially with some of our better players from the start of the season getting fit again...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

You're well grumpy. The season isn't over, even though we're not setting the league alight.

I'm far more grumpy about iFollow.Even with help from @Leuth I can't figure it out.

Clicked on 'Matches', but just got this: https://www.rovers.co.uk/matches/fixtures/

Clicking on our match takes you to audio commentary.
    Leuth said:

You click on the Live Match Centre for our match on that page. And you make sure you're 'not in the UK' - a match pass will appear in small writing! Just log in and you'll be able to buy it!

Hmmm I'm not getting the Match Pass option either at the moment despite having my VPN on
  • Options
    Try logging out, then returning to the Live Match Centre - it should appear! Then log back in
  • Options
    Logging out is always a good option under this regime.
  • Options
    Hmm so who is missing... Clarke and Solly are both involved it seems
  • Options
    Sarr?
  • Options
    This is your last few minutes of happiness left of the Weekend... Enjoy them people!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!