Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: The Final - Revolver vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I think some of the better tracks are on Revolver, Eleanor Rigby and For No One, being stand outs for me. But Pepper was an album that generated significant cultural impact and interest, so for that reason i’m going for Pepper.
    It’s not my favourite Beatles’ album, but I think it was probably the one that had the most impact.
  • Options
    Revolver. Great competition.
  • Options
    not a great Beatles fan, but Revolver the best thing they did.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

My sister was given Beatles for Sale for Christmas '64 when I was eight. Looking back, it was a pretty poor album by their standards, but nonetheless we were always playing it in the front room in New Street Hill. Don't think Jimmy Seed was impressed. Jenni left it out of its sleeve, and it warped in the sun, which didn't help of course. If the Beatles hadn't upped their game they'd now be a footnote in rock and roll history.

When Revolver came out I was nine. My sister didn't buy it, and I only heard the whole album probably as late as the early nineties. I think Jenni must have had Peppers as it feels like I've always known it.

The Beatles were keen on offering value for money, so sessions would produce singles that were then left off the albums.

Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever would have greatly strengthened Peppers.

But Revolver of course could have included Paperback Writer & Rain which were recorded at the same sessions. Worth checking out the 'videos' of Paperback Writer & Rain on YouTube. The films were shot at Chiswick House, in May '66. (I think they looked at their coolest in early/mid '66. There was something of Dylan or The Byrds in the way they dressed.)
    Rain is one of my favourite Beatles tunes, but I didn't hear it until the mid nineties when I bought a jukebox set of Beatles singles on coloured vinyl. I was many years before it even made it to CD. It has made it to CD hasn't it?

So after all that nonsense, it's Revolver for me.

PS Jenni just told me that our grandfather never missed Dixon of Dock Green. (Always happy to provide insights like this lol)

(The Chiswick House Rain seems to have disappeared from YouTube)

It does. I was searching for it last week.
  • Options
    Revolver , though could do without Eleanor Rigby , cheers for all the work on this thread SW16. Ps can I change my vote for BOTW to Blue...
  • Options

Listened again to the whole Revolver album driving home recently, I found myself wanting to skip tracks. Then listened to SPLHCB and my finger was never tempted to hover over skippy, so my vote goes to the Sarge.

Been listening to it a lot recently too. Out of curiosity, which tracks had you reaching for the skip button?
  • Options
    Revolver for me, the Tracks on it are much stronger IMO.
  • Options
    Revolver, just
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pepper peaks higher (Day In The Life) but Revolver peaks more often. It's a very close call for me.

I think Pepper coheres and captures the spirit of an age I didn't even know better than any other rock album. So as an album I have to go for Pepper.
  • Options
    Revolver all day. Prefer "the white ", Rubber Soul and Abbey Road to Peppers.
  • Options

The release of any Beatles album would cause a stir back in the day, but the pure reaction to Peppers was off scale. Many of the techniques and ideas on the album were radical and groundbreaking, although I guess a modern listener may perceive the effects as old hat or maybe a bit corny.

For my part I loved Peppers. I loved the opening, with the title track emerging from the atmospheric hub hub of a crowd scene, with the distant accordion playing - to the startling orchestral crescendo on the closing track. In between there was plenty to keep the listener amused with a plethora of different musical instruments, piano effects and George Martin’s manipulation of magnetic tape. Don’t get me wrong here, I enjoyed the music too!

Oh, did I mention that my vote goes to Peppers?

P.S. I recall in an earlier round advising someone who named the horse incorrectly on For the Benefit of Mr Kite. The name on the album is of course Henry. However, had John Lennon stuck to the original inspiration (namely the poster below) it would have been Zanthus.

He found the poster in an antiques shop in Sevenoaks whilst they were filming the promo for Strawberry Fields in Knole Park.

Hard one to call. Just for the above fact I'd choose Peppers..........but it has the god damn awful "with a little help from my friends" and "within & without you" and seeing as Revolver beat Dark side of the Moon on the way to the final I will have to say a narrow win for.............

Revolver.
  • Options

Listened again to the whole Revolver album driving home recently, I found myself wanting to skip tracks. Then listened to SPLHCB and my finger was never tempted to hover over skippy, so my vote goes to the Sarge.

Been listening to it a lot recently too. Out of curiosity, which tracks had you reaching for the skip button?
    I suppose it is a sign of the time when it was made. The tracks on their own are very good, but listening to them one after another began to grate a little and I found I wanted to fast forward a few times, particularly with "She Said, She Said" and "I want to tell you". Rather heretically, I found "Dr. Robert" to be repetitive and just wanted it to end as well.
  • Options
    I have already voted.
    My comment is from that 'difficult second album' concept'.
    Neither Revolver nor SPLHCB were second albums, but for the Beatles at the time expectation was so high for each album it was becoming nearly impossible to match public expectation with each release.
    Floyd had that after DSOTM, yet came up with the masterpiece that is the sublime Wish You Were Here, and I admire Splhcb because of the pressure of expectation as well as the content.
    Revolver is a great album though (with one exception).
  • Options
    Revolver
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I prefer Let It Be and Abbey Road to both of these choices.

Let It Be has always been my favourite Beatles album.

Really like the 'stripped to the bare bones' under-production, giving it a bit of a raw jam session feel or live pub performance.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

johnny73 said:

Really like the 'stripped to the bare bones' under-production, giving it a bit of a raw jam session feel or live pub performance.

Have you got the "Let it Be-'Naked'" version Oggy, minus all the strings and bits that Phil Spector added and McCartney hated?
  • Options

I suppose it is a sign of the time when it was made. The tracks on their own are very good, but listening to them one after another began to grate a little and I found I wanted to fast forward a few times, particularly with "She Said, She Said" and "I want to tell you". Rather heretically, I found "Dr. Robert" to be repetitive and just wanted it to end as well.
    Have to say I agree - enjoyed most of the ballads on Revolver but as an album I much prefer Pepper
  • Options
    ^Beat me to it

Was curious because I've never been a huge fan of those tracks in particular, myself. Interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Revolver pisses on pepper, the emperor's new clothes as an album. Pepper needed to happen, it was like a concept car, but revolver delivered.

Neither as good as stone roses but "will of the people" etc.

This entirely.

I will vote for Revolver but doesn’t even come close to the Roses.

A travesty of justice.
  • Options
    Sgt. Pepper. I know Revolver is a very well liked album, but apart from a couple of tracks, I find it rather dull. Sgt. Pepper has some classic tracks, some fun tracks and my all time favourite Beatles song She's Leaving Home.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

johnny73 said:

Have you got the "Let it Be-'Naked'" version Oggy, minus all the strings and bits that Phil Spector added and McCartney hated?
    No, I haven't, Six-a-bag. Not heard it yet but thanks to you mentioning it, I've just found it on Youtube and bookmarked it.
    I'll give it a listen dreckly.

My Let it Be copy on vinyl, is a red apple label which I bought from a secondhand record shop in Soho about 1973 which I was told at that time was an American import. Just googled 'red apple label' and looks like it could well be a counterfeit issue !

Any market for a 45 year old pirate vinyl Beatles album? haha

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Thanks SW16 for herding these cats to some form of conclusion (even though the Blue one has gone and without it "The bed's too big, the frying Pan's too wide").
    Both are great Albums.
    Sargent Pepper wins for me, though I couldn't 'drink a case of it'...
    Cheers and Merry Christmas all
  • Options
    Neither are my favourite Beatles album. I find Revolver a bit gloomy and downbeat to be honest. Sgt Pepper wins

My all time favourite favourite Beatles song is Here Comes the Sun. It's just about one of my earliest memories. I figured out how to play it over and over and over again on my parents record player. I must have been about 3 years old.
  • Options
    Revolver
  • Options
    Revolver in the lead 26 - 14
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Revolver for me, always been my favourite beatles album.

(Apart from Yellow Submarine, that's rubbish)
  • Options

Revolver is a collection of songs, while Pepper is like a theatrical show.
    Different concepts.

They're both brilliant albums of their time, so hard to choose between them.

I'll go with Revolver, as the songs stand on their own merit without needing the razza-mattaz of over-elaborate production.

• Options
    Thanks for the thread SW16.
    Some good albums but I’ll never known how Nirvana and The Stone Roses ever got into the mix;)

I thought the final was going to be a really tough choice but in the end it was a no contest for me.

Revolver by a Landslide.

Now,
    Please don’t spoil my day
    I’m miles away
    And after all I’m only sleeping

And will someone shut that fucking bird up, you know, the one that won’t stop singing!