Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

west ham - for a team that reportedly had dressing room

discontent, i would have thought this is hardly the sort of news that will foster harmony...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007250325,00.html

Hammers net £7m Parker

By DAVE KIDD
June 01, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

WEST HAM will make Scott Parker the highest-paid player in their history after agreeing a £7million deal with Newcastle.

The England midfielder will earn substantially more than the £72,000 per week the Hammers are paying their highest earner, Aussie defender Lucas Neill.

Parker, 26, is currently on a family holiday in Portugal but is expected in London for a medical next week.

Tottenham made an inquiry about Parker but were blown out of the water by West Ham’s wage offer.

He was already pulling in upwards of £60,000 at Newcastle after making the £6.5m switch from Chelsea in 2005.

Hammers chief Eggert Magnusson shelled out massive salaries to capture Neill, Matthew Upson and Luis Boa Morte in January.

Comments

• Options
    more than £72,000!!!

i know people don't like Scotty but if he earns more than that, good on him. its not his fault clubs are so bloody stupid
  • Options
    and they wonder why fans don't feel so close to players these days when a player like this, who isn't world class, will earn more in a week than the average fan will earn in three years.......
  • Options
    makes you realise how financially astute the club was when at what was probably his peak it was probably paying him a quarter of what west ham look likely to pay him...and we got a big chunk of money when he moved on...still, time will tell...
  • Options
    Whether it is the injuries, Scotty has never been as mobile as he was with us and it was that mobility (combined with undoubted talent) that gave him the promise of becoming top drawer - he may still be very good but he is not top drawer and that wage is ridiculous.
    Curbs may have kept WH up (once he realised that Tevez could do it single-handed and decide to play him) but giving him a blank cheque will be an expensive mistake.
  • Options
    out of interest, has parker ever managed to complete more than say 30 first team games in a season ?...from memory, he always seemed to be injured or banned when he was with us, benched when he was at chelsea and didn't he miss games for newcastle through injury ?...anybody know his stats ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    Curbs may have kept WH up (once he realised that Tevez could do it single-handed and decide to play him) but giving him a blank cheque will be an expensive mistake.

I think exactly the opposite, i think he will make them into a very good side.

He will have a very clear plans in what he wants from both his team and his players and given the money it would not surprise me if they are challenging for europe next season.
  • Options
    I think we were fortunate rather than astute..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]

I think exactly the opposite, i think he will make them into a very good side.

He will have a very clear plans in what he wants from both his team and his players and given the money it would not surprise me if they are challenging for europe next season.

Agreed. I also think they'll push for Europe next season.
  • Options
    same here as well, i always think Curbs is likely to sign a good player than a bad one. Quasie, and Boa Morte to a certain extent looked like quick fix stop gaps, but Upson, Neil and now Parker will be solid pros that will provide a nucleas to build around. I expect West Ham to be definate top 8 next season.

But with a crap cup run....
  • Options
    "after the season we had last season, our first objective must be to get to 40 points. We can't compete with the big boys so anything above that will be a bonus. A premiership team will win the FA and League Cup so why can't it be us?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'we never really got going'
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]same here as well, i always think Curbs is likely to sign a good player than a bad one. Quasie, and Boa Morte to a certain extent looked like quick fix stop gaps, but Upson, Neil and now Parker will be solid pros that will provide a nucleas to build around. I expect West Ham to be definate top 8 next season.

But with a crap cup run....[/quote]

Solid pros on 72k+ a week?
  • Options
    We were punching above our weight. West Ham has now joined the big spenders. A separate super league must be around the corner with no relegation or promotion.
  • Options
    they may trail off in the last 10 games, so best buy some over priced useless lump up front in a panic buy in the transfer window? Now where's Marcus...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]same here as well, i always think Curbs is likely to sign a good player than a bad one. Quasie, and Boa Morte to a certain extent looked like quick fix stop gaps, but Upson, Neil and now Parker will be solid pros that will provide a nucleas to build around. I expect West Ham to be definate top 8 next season.

But with a crap cup run....

Solid pros on 72k+ a week?

solid in terms of what they bring to the pitch. Its not their fault, its the stupidity of the West ham board and management for agreeing to pay them such ridiculous money.
  • Options
    Still a long way to go for Curbs at West Ham. Tevez added to a large dose of luck at Arsenal and Blackburn kept them up although, to be fair, they capitalised on that by winning their home games.

Tevez was incredible, maybe even as good as there has been in the Prem in those last 10 games (when you consider the quality of his team) and they will miss him sorely next season when he goes to Real.

For my money, Curbs has yet to prove he can manage the egos of the top players (something Fergie and Arsene are brilliant at) which is a crucial skill in being a boss at the top.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    For my money, Curbs has yet to prove he can manage the egos of the top players (something Fergie and Arsene are brilliant at) which is a crucial skill in being a boss at the top.

A very good, and correct point IMO
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ill second that ormiston addick, curbs has a knack of falling out with egotistical (whilst its a quality attribute sadly its maybe too archaeic for the modern game). i also doubt his ability in the transfer market with plenty of money to spend. i dont think 6mil on upson or 5m on boa morte is good business, i even think 8.5 for parker is over the odds. so lets just see, hopefully he'll sign a few sergei rebrov type players.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: markwebb21[/cite]ill second that ormiston addick, curbs has a knack of falling out with egotistical wankers (whilst its a quality attribute sadly its maybe too archaeic for the modern game). i also doubt his ability in the transfer market with plenty of money to spend. i dont think 6mil on upson or 5m on boa morte is good business, i even think 8.5 for parker is over the odds. so lets just see, hopefully he'll sign a few sergei rebrov type players.

I agree that Upson and Boa Morte were overpriced but then everybody knew that Curbs was over a barrel and had to do something urgently.

Discounting the morality of the Tevez business it will be perceived that Curbs successfully kept them up and (in Premiership terms) it was money well spent.

Regarding the "ego" point I don't recall Curbs having too many problems with class acts like Di Canio or Costa.

I think the truth of the matter is that he won't take any nonsense from jumped up little twats who consider themselves better than they really are. danny Murphy being perhaps the best example!
  • Options
    Len - for once I agree totally - Curbs was praised highly by DiCanio and when you contrast that to Paulo's views on Roeder you can see the impact Curbs made. It looks like Parker in / Reo Coker out for similar money which looks good business for West Ham. The board at West Ham will be looking for top half finish possibly Europe and Curbs will have all the money but no time to deliver this - so he will want to go with players he knows like Parker and Darren Bent (?) - good luck to him.

As Dean Kiely found out at Portsmouth there is no loyalty from clubs anymore and Curbs/West Ham board will ditch players who don't fit next seasons plan. This might help us as Pardew may also be looking to bring in players he knows for our promotion push.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Len/Seriously Red - You have made good points about Di Canio and Costa BUT these were older, experienced players who were top, top professionals despite their temparemental reputations. Dealing with the young bling-bling merchants is a different kettle of fish and we will have to see how he copes with that next season.

Of course, the really interesting thing will be if Parker plays fantastically well for the Spammers and starts attracting interest from the really big clubs again.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Len/Seriously Red - You have made good points about Di Canio and Costa BUT these were older, experienced players who were top, top professionals despite their temparemental reputations. Dealing with the young bling-bling merchants is a different kettle of fish and we will have to see how he copes with that next season.

Of course, the really interesting thing will be if Parker plays fantastically well for the Spammers and starts attracting interest from the really big clubs again.....

The feeling that Curbs couldn't handle the bling merchants comes from what evidence?

Murphy? - total scouse tosser with gobby wife who went to the Spuds and has done fuck all since
    Konchesky? - inconsistant big head who had half a decent season at Upon Park
    Carlton Cole? - so large an ego, so little talent or delivery
    Parker? - lost the plot seriously by going to the one club who didn't need him and now realises his mistake and has kissed and made up with him

I can't think of any others.

As for Fergies handling of the stars, it well known that his approach is "my way or the highway" - He has fallen out with many stars - too numerous to list here

As for Wenger, well he's completely changed the culture at Aresenal and for what I can gather most of their players are not Bling merchants. Ashley Cole was an exception but he's gone. Players like Henry seem to have different approach to life and favoured by Wenger.
  • Options
    Wasn't there Greg Shields and Jason Euell.......?

Perhaps Lisbie was the ONLY player he never fell out with. ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]and they wonder why fans don't feel so close to players these days when a player like this, who isn't world class, will earn more in a week than the average fan will earn in three years.......[/quote]

world class not even international class