Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

national lottery

Comments

• Options
    We do a thing at work - Bonus ball bingo.

9 of us pick 6 numbers as our 'line' and each draw if one of your numbers is the bonus ball gets crossed off and so on until you're all out. £1 a draw.

I scooped about £400 last time out. Just started a new one
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Do 2 or 3 lines every week and have never even won a tenner.

Stop doing gear and buy a ticket then.
  • Options
    Someone I know got 4 numbers once and we persuaded him that he would win about a grand. He bought the drinks all night and when he went to collect the next morning found it was the lowest ever pay out for 4, £16!
    I've got 4 about 3 times, the most was about £110 but also won a tenner on another line. Which was nice.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Knew this bird who's dad won with the work syndicate and he pocketed the lot.
  • Options
    I know somebody that used to buy two tickets using the same number. When questioned why he would do that, he replied that if more than 1 person won it, he would get a better dividend. I said that was ok if that was the scenario but how would he feel if he was the only winner. He took a long time thinking about it.
  • Options
    Won £2 on a scratchcard last night, not too bad
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just don't have your own numbers- when you do -you don't dare not buy a ticket in case they come up - have a lucky dip every week. We decided to cut a line out a few years back and missed out on 5 numbers - Had we not known our numbers we wouldn't have felt so rotten! Too late- we have to put our numbers on now after that - it is truly an idiot tax - the odds are just ridiculous. I think I read there is more chance of dying in a plane crash or being struck twice by lightning.
  • Options
    The plus five is good five chances/night draws for 20 pence a day.
  • Options
    Jayajosh - please explain as I am taking a long time to think about what you said!!!!!
  • Options
    Just turnd 16 and won £2.50 on my plus 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to enjoy it on a Saturday when it was just once a week. Wednesday was the thin end of a wedge that you could see coming a mile of as they got greedier and greedier. Very rarely do it nowadays. Can't say I miss it.
  • Options
    The Saturday draw started on the 19 Nov 1994 and the Wednesday draw started on the 5 February 1997.
    Including yesterdays draw there have been 1587 Saturday and Wednesday draws plus 6 additional draws. Excluding the additional draws there have been 851 Saturday draws and 736 Wednesday draws.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, there was a syndicate of restaurant staff near to us that won. They were all in the local paper saying that nothing would change and they'd all carry on working as usual. Within a month the place was shut.
  • Options
    I know a fella who won several millions - so it does happen to someone.

It's a good way of regularly donating to good causes too.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Leroy Ambrose, you are one miserable git (sorry MOG)

Posted By: Chirpy Red
    The triple rollover tonight on the lotto was won by a single ticket holder. £17.8M.

Nice.

Posted By: Grumpy Leroy Ambrose
    For them, aye. F***ing horrible for the poor suckers who shell out a quid, fiver or tenner every week on what amounts to little more than another tax on the needy
  • Options
    A good way to imagine the chances of winning was summed up well by a friend of mine..

Fill up your bath to the top with white rice grains. Then drop a dark grain into the bath, mix it all about, shut your eyes and pick one out. If you get the dark grain you won the jackpot.
  • Options
    Someone picks that dark grain now and then. Believe!
  • Options
    Fortunately I also worked out what grandpa said from week one, so only ever get a lucky dip when back in the UK. The missus has the same numbers on Weds and Sat, but due to tightening up the rules about living abroad, she now has her Mum putting her numbers on. We will worry about the tax implications when we win... LOL

A friend of a friend won €130,000 last year, a life changing amount for her.

We won €1500 in 99 on the now defunct football lucky dip.
  • Options
    Nath - have you spent all your winnings yet ?
  • Options
    I do £5 Saturday and Wednesday, never miss a week.
    Its only a tenner I dont smoke, drink to excess or do any other form of gambling. I can afford it, I enjoy it and maybe it will enable me to retire early.

I'm not an idiot I'm a dreamer. Someone wins the jackpot nearly every week, why not me.

A work friend won approx. 80k on the euro just before xmas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]A good way to imagine the chances of winning was summed up well by a friend of mine..

Fill up your bath to the top with white rice grains. Then drop a dark grain into the bath, mix it all about, shut your eyes and pick one out. If you get the dark grain you won the jackpot.

Nah, I reckon you need way more than 14 million grains of rice to fill a bath. Nice analogy though.

Before I forget, my second Cousin's daughter won £100K recently, she works M & S and was in their syndicate. Nice one. Now I know that, I can't help but feel that as a family member has won it, it ain't gonna happen to me.
  • Options
    Apparently I won the Spanish lottery last week - nearly £3m on its way! Just waiting for funds to come through which is handy as my account has suddenly become surprisingly empty
  • Options
    £68 Million up for grabs tonight.
  • Options
    Must be my turn! If it is, I won't change... much!
  • Options
    rather than solving your problems a big win could increase them
    most people would share their good fortune with friends and relations. Does big Aunt Bertha, cousin Sam or nephew George get part of the windfall. However you divide it someone is going to feel left out. Also do they pay tax on unearned income. Your win is tax free. A sudden influx of money means you will have to change your life and make lots of choices. Bigger car, bigger house, better holidays but it could mean you lose touch with the things that mean the most in life to you personally. Think about it. Money is not everything. Love, happiness and health are the greatest values in life.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton villager[/cite]rather than solving your problems a big win could increase them
    most people would share their good fortune with friends and relations. Does big Aunt Bertha, cousin Sam or nephew George get part of the windfall. However you divide it someone is going to feel left out. Also do they pay tax on unearned income. Your win is tax free. A sudden influx of money means you will have to change your life and make lots of choices. Bigger car, bigger house, better holidays but it could mean you lose touch with the things that mean the most in life to you personally. Think about it. Money is not everything. Love, happiness and health are the greatest values in life.

When you win, I will save you the problems by taking the cash off your hands CV. I won't even mind paying the tax...
  • Options
    At the moment I am not very well off and not very happy. I'd swap that for being very well off, in a big house, going on great holidays and not being very happy!
  • Options
    Worked with a guy who won over a mill and I have won £450 for 3 numbers twice and lots of other small amounts
  • Options
    The syndicate at work has had 5 numbers come up twice, £750 for the first time and £2500 the second time. The second win came in the week before Xmas and we all took home £500 to pickle our livers over the Xmas period. We do 9 lines for each draw and at home I do 2 lines with the missus. Never had more than 4 numbers at home. Got mine set up on a direct debit so can never forget to do it.
  • Options
    Money cant buy happiness but i'd rather be unhappy inside a ferrari