Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Acoustic Guitar

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Oakster said:

I really like this guy - his song choice is excellent - vert clearly explained which helps

https://www.anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk/songs-etc/

Cheers for that link, Oakster. I clicked through to the Happy Mondays page and had a good time learning those riffs this afternoon.

One book I can recommend is Neil Cowmeadow's 9 Weird Things Guitarists Do. It won't teach you a single chord, scale of riff but it will highlight some of the common pitfalls (mainly in our own thinking).
    You're welcome - I am currently learning bass & using this resource https://how-to-play-bass-courses.com

There's something about when the bass kicks in that just gets me...great musical feeling
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Stig said:

Oakster said:

I really like this guy - his song choice is excellent - vert clearly explained which helps

https://www.anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk/songs-etc/

Cheers for that link, Oakster. I clicked through to the Happy Mondays page and had a good time learning those riffs this afternoon.

One book I can recommend is Neil Cowmeadow's 9 Weird Things Guitarists Do. It won't teach you a single chord, scale of riff but it will highlight some of the common pitfalls (mainly in our own thinking).
    You're welcome - I am currently learning bass & using this resource https://how-to-play-bass-courses.com

There's something about when the bass kicks in that just gets me...great musical feeling
    I'm enjoying listening and watching the use of the stick bass.
    Liquid tension experiment and King Crimson on YouTube.
  • Options
    While looking for a 335, I came across this, I'm not joking I cannot praise this highly enough.

2003 C.F. Martin & Co DCX1E electro-acoustic guitar, made in USA, ser. no. 9xxxx3 (guitar-auctions.co.uk)

I got one of these a couple of years back, for this sort of money it is incredible, plays like a 2k guitar. . 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Lots of good tips here. Agree with 5m a day rule, get a flesh and blood teacher, practice with rhythm (metronome ..?) And slow down !!! Jam with others, and always sing to develop chord/melody Relationship understandin. ...and I'm a piano player....
    What if your singing voice is like rubbing your ears with an out of tune cheese grater?
    It's really not your problem.

But everyone else will tell you it's theirs.   :smile:

Seriously, just sing. And if you sing along to your guitar every time you play, your singing will gradually get better.
    Record yourself, so you know how you sound. 

It's about gradually becoming aware of how you sound and tuning your ear over a period of time.
    It will take time but you will begin to improve.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    While looking for a 335, I came across this, I'm not joking I cannot praise this highly enough.

2003 C.F. Martin & Co DCX1E electro-acoustic guitar, made in USA, ser. no. 9xxxx3 (guitar-auctions.co.uk)

I got one of these a couple of years back, for this sort of money it is incredible, plays like a 2k guitar. . 
    With a buyers premium of 22% plus VAT they are way over priced at that auction.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

My guess is it will go for around £550 including buyers fee and VAT.  I doubt you'll find a better sounding guitar for that price.

If you do please let me know.

I have lost count how much stuff I've bought from that auction house and sold for a decent profit.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

My guess is it will go for around £550 including buyers fee and VAT.  I doubt you'll find a better sounding guitar for that price.

I have lost count how much stuff I've bought from that auction house and sold for a decent profit.
    New you can get for not much above £700, still a few around as think that model is discontinued now.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

New you can get for not much above £700, still a few around as think that model is discontinued now.
    They occasionally pop up. I personally wouldn't pay £740 for it new when I can buy it used for £550. Besides, it wouldn't actually be new because these were indeed disconnected a few years back.

It's highly unlikely I'd ever buy a brand new guitar again.
  • Options
    Digging up an old thread for this, but I’m looking to pick up a cheap second hand acoustic guitar, looking for any recommendations on model and where to pick one up etc?

if I ever get good I’ll treat myself to a nice one in the future!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Digging up an old thread for this, but I’m looking to pick up a cheap second hand acoustic guitar, looking for any recommendations on model and where to pick one up etc?

Cheers!
    The choice is limitless,you dont have to pay a fortune these days for a guitar,plenty of good replicas,like Epiphone, Sigma all good instruments,also on ebay there are thousands for sale,if you do your research and decide what sort of guitar you want,,Do you want a strummer if so go for the bigger jumbo size models,or if you prefer a bit of finger picking,the smaller models will suit.I would say for around 100-200 you could get something really decent to start you off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cheers!
    Have a look in the cashconverter type shops, they often have good guitars.
  • Options

Cheers!
    Have a look in the cashconverter type shops, they often have good guitars.
    Yep I agree with this,bought a 3-4 size nylon string for £35.00 a little while back,just out of interest looked on ebay,first few pages,Yamaha,Fender epiphone all around 100-150.
  • Options
    Gumtree 
  • Options
    Apologies if this is a really silly question but I wanted to pick* the brains of Lifers on something guitar related. I have an old Fender acoustic up in the loft gathering dust and considering getting back into it. I'm truly terrible btw but might even go for lessons now.

My issue is that I live in a really poorly insulated flat and I am very conscious that any of my pathetic attempts to endlessly practise the intro to Smoke On The Water are likely to annoy my neighbours. It would certainly annoy me if the roles were reversed. So my question is whether there's anything I can get or can do that will limit the noise, aka tuneless racket produced in this situation? Any recommended YouTube tutorials also welcome too?

*see what I did there!
  • Options
    Apologies if this is a really silly question but I wanted to pick* the brains of Lifers on something guitar related. I have an old Fender acoustic up in the loft gathering dust and considering getting back into it. I'm truly terrible btw but might even go for lessons now.

My issue is that I live in a really poorly insulated flat and I am very conscious that any of my pathetic attempts to endlessly practise the intro to Smoke On The Water are likely to annoy my neighbours. It would certainly annoy me if the roles were reversed. So my question is whether there's anything I can get or can do that will limit the noise, aka tuneless racket produced in this situation? Any recommended YouTube tutorials also welcome too?

*see what I did there!
    Justin Sandercoe on YouTube or his website justinguitar.com is the go-to resource for learning guitar. 

You could try sticking empty egg packets on the wall to dissipate the noise. Or you can buy some acoustic foam on Amazon but that may be overkill if nobody has complained!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @Oh_Yoni_Boy I think there are loads of good guitars out there, but there are also some poor ones. I think a lot of time it's not so much the brand or model itself but the set up. I have a Crafter that I used to hate but my son set it up for me properly (tensioned the neck, smoothed the frets, readjusted the nut) and now I love it. The other thing he did was introduce me to lighter strings, I now have .011-.052 gauge and I swear by them - I've lost the horrible buzz I used to get where I was struggling to keep the heavier ones down. Might be worth asking in your local music shop if they have a luthier who can give your new instrument the once over.

@Bournemouth Addick Ha ha, you sound like me. I'm really self conscious about what my neighbours can hear. I tend to practice on an unplugged electric. I guess you can always play softly not striking so hard and damping the strings with your strumming hand, but that's not necessarily what you want to do if you're into Deep Purple. Another thing I've done is to weave a strip of card between the strings at the bridge end to dampen the sound. It deadens the sound and greatly shortens the decay of each note. Great if you like a plink-a-plonk African style sound, perhaps not ideal if you want to do sustained note solos though ;). I've never tried, but I suppose you could stuff the soundbox with sponge or rags.   

• Options
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!
    Justin Sandercoe on YouTube or his website justinguitar.com is the go-to resource for learning guitar. 

You could try sticking empty egg packets on the wall to dissipate the noise. Or you can buy some acoustic foam on Amazon but that may be overkill if nobody has complained!
    Cheers Chunes. I was thinking of something I could do to the guitar tbh not my gaff. I think I'd be sleeping in the spare room if my missus came home and I'd decorated the place with egg boxes. Nice and quiet in there by then I suppose though... 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!

Cheers Chunes. I was thinking of something I could do to the guitar tbh not my gaff. I think I'd be sleeping in the spare room if my missus came home and I'd decorated the place with egg boxes. Nice and quiet in there by then I suppose though... 
    Alternatively you could practice on an electric that's not plugged in, if you can get one. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!

Alternatively you could practice on an electric that's not plugged in, if you can get one. 
    An electric guitar plugged into your phone (with i-rig) and headphones is what i do now. It don't bother anyone else and you get lots of effects to play with.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!

Yeah this is maybe where I'm heading tbh. Might see what santa brings me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Bournemouth Addick I have had the fortune to have tried out a range of Yamaha silent guitars.  I can honestly say they are extraordinary.  If you can get hold of one, I am sure you will agree they are exactly what you need.  Although they're not inexpensive. 

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/silent_guitar/index.html 
  • Options

Cheers!
    Do a little research beforehand and check out reviews.
    That'll give you some idea of the pros and cons of any brand/model of guitar you fancy.

Nothing beats going to a proper guitar shop and trying one out for yourself, checking tone and playability/action.
    If you're not too sure, try and rope in an experienced guitarist friend to come along with you.

• Options

*see what I did there!
    Don’t worry, there are people out there super glueing themselves to the M25 to sort this. Help is on the way  B)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!

Plug Headphones into your amp?
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

*see what I did there!

Plug Headphones into your amp?
    That's not going to make an acoustic guitar quieter
  • Options
    Oh_Yoni_Boy check out Kent Instrument Swap Shop at https://www.facebook.com/groups/113721642084105. Some great deals to be had on here.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Cheers!
    The choice is limitless,you dont have to pay a fortune these days for a guitar,plenty of good replicas,like Epiphone, Sigma all good instruments,also on ebay there are thousands for sale,if you do your research and decide what sort of guitar you want,,Do you want a strummer if so go for the bigger jumbo size models,or if you prefer a bit of finger picking,the smaller models will suit.I would say for around 100-200 you could get something really decent to start you off.
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone - much appreciated.

I guess I'm probably primarily going for a strummer but as a beginner the more versatile the better, although I'm also used to an electric so slightly aware that I might not get on too well with a 'jumbo' body at first - but probably worth just getting used to it?

£100-200 is about my budget for a good second hand one - have had a Google but if anyone recommends any particular models I'll have a scout!

What dya think of these two? I've seen a lot of Yamaha F310s around and seem to be a solid beginner option...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamaha-f310-acoustic-guitar-in-tobacco-sunburst/1418724654
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-acoustic-guitar-cf60-unused/1418613878

• Options
    Can anyone recommend a luthier?
    My chap died a few years back.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Can anyone recommend a luthier?
    My chap died a few years back.

Where are you based Popicon? 

I have found an excellent one St Nicholas at Wade, in Kent.  Adam Pinner, Arcus Guitars. You can check him out on FB, he set my Tele up beautifully.

• Options
    Dave Winter, Maidstone (DW Guitars)