Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham - Match Thread

Comments

• Options

ross1 said:

Whatever Marshall had that made him so good for Bradford last year is well and truly missing at the moment.

Playing like a shit Callum Harriott.

Will the new owners trust KR with money for transfers, Marshall, Reeves, Page
    Amos, JFC, Da Silva, Clarke, Mavididi.

KR has done okay in the transfer market. No manage is right 100% of the time and Reeves and Marshall looked good players based on last season. Injuries have made it a stop start season for all three of the players you list.

And Fosu, who may turn out to be the best of the lot, since Da Silva ( and Mavididi) isn't ours.

Just out of interest though, was Reeves really highly thought of generally? I really cannot see what he is for, all I have seen him do is turn with the ball in neat circles without any effective end product.
  • Options

At the game. Usual,we are dominating while creating very little. Great run and finish from Mavididi. Magennis and Marshall....meh. Bauer,Aribo and Mav playing well. Why we are playing 1 up front at home to a very poor Oldham team,only KR knows. They are there for the taking. Amos' kit can be put back,folded,into the 'clean' pile at the moment. Bloody cold.

Thanks!
  • Options
    This is like one of those occasions when your mrs wants to watch a film and you settle down on the sofa and your fiddling on your phone not really watching it cos its shite.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Whatever Marshall had that made him so good for Bradford last year is well and truly missing at the moment.

To be fair two of those three came on frees and I don't think Page was much of a fee (plus he's still only 21 I believe). Marshall had a good season last season and I can attest to the fact that, on his day, Ben Reeves is a very good player at this level.

And to counteract that, you have Amos, DaSilva, Clarke, JFC.
    OK Exiled_Addick and SDAddick you win, I know when I am out scored
  • Options

I knew he’d leave Sarr out on the basis of the poor second goal last week.... I can’t believe that more people didn’t mention it afterwards. I also couldn’t believe that every predicted lineup included him. I honestly want Sarr to do well, but it’s the right decision to leave him out today. COYR

Agree with this. I don't rate Sarr at all. Not as a central defender anyway.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Pigott scores for Maidstone is anyone interested, nothing else to report

Did he ever score for us?
    Once.
  • Options
    Oldham are terrible but still in the game. Our football is very predictable.

Excellent goal by Mavididi.
  • Options
    SSN: Just mentioned we have never lost to Oldham in 25 meetings, Oh dear!
  • Options
    Mavidi or Piggot that is the question but Magennis is the answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ross1 said:

Pigott scores for Maidstone is anyone interested, nothing else to report

Did he ever score for us?
    Once.
    Prolific then, can’t we resign him?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Very familiar picture. Lots of the ball and look too good for them until we get 40 yards from their goal when at which point we lose all penetration.

Oldham will tire as they are chasing the ball a lot so I can see it opening up as the game wears on but we must not give them a soft equalizer as has been our habit recently.

Marshall looks really low on confidence. One decent cross after attacking the full back but has spurned a number opportunities to run at them with the ball. Would like to see Konsa getting the on the overlap more though as he gives no where near as much support to Marshall as Da Silva provides to Mavididi.

A number of options on the bench today though, I’d give this 5 or 10 mins second half and then get KAG on there of maybe move Aribo forward and bring on Jacko.

We lack a bit of guile in the middle. Maybe Reeves could bring that but they are very physical and the ref has let a massive number of little pushes and sky trips against us go so doesn’t seem likely Reeves will impose himself without any protection from the ref.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Very familiar picture. Lots of the ball and look too god for them until we get 40 yards from their goal when at which point we lose all penetration.

Oldham will tire as they are chasing the ball a lot so I can see it opening up as the game wears on but we must not give them a soft equalizer as has been our habit recently.

Marshall looks really low on confidence. One decent cross after attacking the full back but has spurned a number opportunities to run at them with the ball. Would like to see Konsa getting on the overlap more,though, as he gives no where near as much support to Marshall as Da Silva provides to Mavididi.

A number of options on the bench today though, I’d give this 5 or 10 mins second half and then get KAG on there of maybe move Aribo forward and bring on Jacko.

We lack a bit of guile in the middle. Maybe Reeves could bring that but they are very physical and the ref has let a massive number of little pushes and sly trips against us go so doesn’t seem likely Reeves will impose himself without any protection from the ref.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

For those actually at the game or watching online, how's the match been 1st half?

I think started with better pace and tempo then seemed to taper off. We have players who have individual moments of brilliance, and from that came our goal. Aribo, DaSilva, and Madvididi have linked up well down the left. After hitting the bar early doors Holmes has been largely ineffective. Magennis' movement is definitely causing them problems and creating space for others, but he always seems to be 5-10 yards too far away from the attacking three, which means he's always isolated. I think that's a combination of the attackers not filling that space, him drifting too far up field, and lazy long balls played over the top to him (looking at you Lennon).

Bauer has been immense. Konsa quietly efficient, certainly playing a more conservative right back role. Every time Aribo gets the ball they look to get players around him because they seem to know what he's capable of.

Apart from winning a couple fouls, Marshall has been terrible and I'd bring him off and put on Reeves in the second half.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say Marshall has been terrible. Also, Holmes is doing ok. Not sure what we expect.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    CROSSBAR CHALLENGE

We have our second winner! £6,500 is going the way of our lucky fan who has just hit the bar.

Congratulations! #cafc

Was that Holmes?
  • Options
    Not bloody Reeves that's for sure. Would have torn his jeans in the run up.
  • Options
    No changes for Latics at the break. We still await the arrival of Charlton for this second half. The hosts lead 1-0. Big second half coming up for #oafc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Addicks are back out for the second half...45 minutes to go.

COYA! #cafc
  • Options
    Today’s attendance: 9,972 (399 visiting supporters). Thank you for your support this afternoon! #oafc
  • Options

at which point we lose all penetration.

I know how that feels!
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options

Guy wins £6500 completing the crossbar challenge!

Makes ricky_otto's bet look a bit small time now.
  • Options
    46' Oldham get the second half underway... #cafc
  • Options
    edited January 2018

ross1 said:

KR has done okay in the transfer market. No manage is right 100% of the time and Reeves and Marshall looked good players based on last season. Injuries have made it a stop start season for all three of the players you list.

And Fosu, who may turn out to be the best of the lot, since Da Silva ( and Mavididi) isn't ours.

Just out of interest though, was Reeves really highly thought of generally? I really cannot see what he is for, all I have seen him do is turn with the ball in neat circles without any effective end product.
    I knew I was forgetting someone because I've forgotten half of our players because they're all out injured.

Re: Reeves, yes. Imagine that skill and close control but with the ability to keep up with the tempo of the game. He's always been a bit of a "slower" player, not just in terms of pace (he's not that slow there) but in terms of how he plays, he tends to be more technical and deliberate. I think it's some of the reason he's played wide right quite frequently, it gives him that extra bit of time and space to cut in, pick up the ball, and pick a pass.

He doesn't seem to have found a rhythm since he's been here. He's looked either half a yard off the pace or lost or both.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

ross1 said:

He played well against us on at least one occasion and MK Dons fans told us he was technically good and scored some good goals for them (14? last season), but also lightweight and injury prone.

He has been a disappointment so far but the protracted nature of his signing maybe helped over raise expectation. He has yet to get a proper run in the team and has mostly had to play when the overall confidence and form has been low.

Like so much of what has gone wrong with the playing side this season, there are significant mitigating circumstances. To what extent the club could have planned for those circumstances better is of course open to debate.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!