Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carillion....

Comments

• Options

They have some real juicy contracts which other companies will take over and do very nicely out of. And a load of undervalued contracts which the government, (us the tax payers), will have to help out with a few bob.
    Company's like these subcontract and then subcontract some more down to the one man band spark or painter who come the end of the week will be knocked for their money by those further up the food chain.

They also have a pile of very low margin contracts that have landed them in this mess. They will need to be renegotiated and that's not a fore-gone conclusion and will take time.
  • Options
    got offered a job with them when i left school meant staying down in sittingbourne in block release months, think they done a lot of apprenticeships - never took them up on the offer.
  • Options
    Never been the same since Fish left
  • Options
    involved in many outsourced Service contracts ----catering,security,maintenance,cleaning---in schools,councils,hospitals,City offices .

its their size that wins contracts----economy of scale via huge network of "preferred suppliers",its these guys who will get screwed now.
  • Options
    Huge outfit many fingers in many pies, their supply chain and employes must now be crapping themselves, beggars belief how such a UK giant has run up so much debt and taken on profit less contracts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

bbc.co.uk/news/business-42687032

"However, the government will provide funding to maintain the public services run by Carillion..."

"Some of Carillion's contracts will be taken on by other firms and some could be renationalised..."

What a great use of public money this whole privatisation of our public services is eh? From this lot going bust (and others in the same game like Mouchel doing the same) to the G4S Olympic security fiasco, and running down our prisons to earn excessive profits outside those contractually agreed, or them and Serco ripping off the taxpayer with wholesale fraudulent claims for putting tags on dead prisoners(!) to the complete mess that is our transport network and the creeping privatisation of the NHS.

How many billions have governments wasted over the years following this dogmatic approach that private sector ownership and management is always preferable to providing properly resourced publically ran services! It's not going to be practical in every case but it's about time we had a grown up conversation, one where no one gets branded a Marxist, about taking some of these services back into public ownership.

More than a conversation needs to happen mate, problem is things are too far gone, too many people have been TUPE'd too many shareholders expect profits from a fucking prison, ever tried getting toothpaste back into the tube?
    spot on. Why some things that are clearly for the national good can't be sorted out on a cross-party, pragmatic basis I'll never get.
  • Options
    Nope. Never heard of Carillon. Are they related to Carillion?
  • Options
    I've seen their vans around , and heard they were involved in HS2 , will that mean Hs2 will be scrapped , or carried out by another supplier?
  • Options
    The work won by Carillion following on from their profit warnings would have been won through a competitive tendering process which would have also considered the financial strengths of the companies involved.

A profit warning to the LSE does not necessarily mean a Company is going under.

• Options
    Addickted said:

The work won by Carillion following on from their profit warnings would have been won through a competitive tendering process which would have also considered the financial strengths of the companies involved.

I think they said on the news this morning that they'd be placed in voluntary liquidation?
  • Options

I've seen their vans around , and heard they were involved in HS2 , will that mean Hs2 will be scrapped , or carried out by another supplier?

By someone else, Balfour would be my guess.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Addickted said:

I think they said on the news this morning that they'd be placed in voluntary liquidation?
    No compulsory, not voluntary. That mean the creditors pulled the plugged by presenting a petition to the High Court and that the judge agreed that the business was insolvent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently the government bailed out Marillion by mistake.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Some might say that a "competitive" tender for a government contract involving a firm whose Chairman is an advisor to the Prime Minister loses a bit of credibility.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Pretty sure cabinet members don't get involved in the tender appraisal process.

Hahaha!

There's burying your head in the sand, and then there's this! It's the same sort of bollocks as people at Intel were coming out with when the Meltdown vulnerability was revealed a couple of weeks ago, and the Intel CEO had (completely coincidentally, of course) dumped every single share he was allowed to a couple of months previously...

Pull the other one, it's got bells on
  • Options

No. They only had one of five work packages for HS2 and that is in a consortium with other companies, who presumably will take over the Carillion work (but may sub-contract it)
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Addickted said:

If you honestly think that Philip Green's relationship with senior government figures had no influence over a decision to award £2b of contracts to his firm despite its clear financial problems then I think we have a very different view of how the world works.
    So it has nothing to do with their actual fee bid - purely down to 'contacts'?

Were the other Contractors tendering for the work unknown to senior Government figures?

Pointless having a competitive tender process then if you're going to just give the works to your mates.

I have a different view because I deal with tendering of large construction contracts and if you believe than financial standing orders and internal checks and balances to ensure the process if nothing but legal, considered and fair then there's not a lot I can say that would convince you otherwise.

This may be different if private companies are procuring, but then that's down to them.

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Nope. Never heard of Carillon. Are they related to Carillion?

Wow my first ever flag! I know it was a bit sarcastic....but....
  • Options

Addickted said:

Hahaha!

There's burying your head in the sand, and then there's this! It's the same sort of bollocks as people at Intel were coming out with when the Meltdown vulnerability was revealed a couple of weeks ago, and the Intel CEO had (completely coincidentally, of course) dumped every single share he was allowed to a couple of months previously...

Pull the other one, it's got bells on
    I really have no idea what this has to do with a UK construction company.
  • Options

They owe the company I work for, over £100k.

We managed to get £70K out of them last week, still owe £55K.