Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vic Wilson from Charlton

Comments

• Options

Tom_Hovi said:

OK, just to follow up I'm going to the National Archives at Kew for some research on another project this Friday but whilst I'm there I will check the War Diary for 118 Field Regiment as well as the Nominal Roll and "Enquiries into missing personnel" files for this regiment to see if I can find anything of the circumstances of Vic's death. I should also have an answer to your Bickley question by then @Henry Irving.

Interestingly, Vic's wife Violet Elizabeth seems to have changed her name back from Wilson to her maiden name of Brown sometime during 1953, so not sure what this is all about. I will report back when I have more.

Thanks Tom, I definitely owe you a pint or two for all your work on this. Ian
    No problem Ian. I’d forgotten that I had two logins on here (it’s a long story) so apologies for any confusion with Blitzwalker and Tom Hovi. They’re both me! Cheers, Steve.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

This is a link to The Thanbyuzat War Cemetery, there is a roll of honour and a site plan in it.

http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/Cemeteries/Thanbyuzayat_War_Cemetery/

In the picture, nicked from trip advisor, Vic's grave is probably one of those on the left.
    Rest in Peace all soldiers of the war.

Amen to that
  • Options

If i may just add some of the stories my father passed on to me re his time in Burma, he was never captured and fought with the royal west Kent’s, one of the last things he did before he passed away was to revisit Burma with the royal British legion.

He fought behind the Japanese lines for up to 9 months at a time, he was an expert in explosives and blew up many bridges, often fully loaded with trains, etc. They set out with sufficient food for around a month, they would then forage for the remainder of the time, eating there mules weren’t unusual. They fought hand to hand and he was bayoneted to tree with the bayonet going through his thigh, his great mate stood back to back with him and fought of the attack. They had no communication with their base and no communications with other patrols. Eveytime the entered another valley, they had no idea who or what they would come across, friend or foe, even the locals some were friendly, some were indifferent others were friends of the Japanese.

During one little skirmish, His mate took a bullet to his stomach, in most other places in the world the chances were fairly good, but with no medics, all they could would leave him behind to die or get captured and used a bayonet practice if he was lucky. Dad was the last one to say goodbye, they all heard the single shot and no one said a word.

The reason my dad went back to Burma was to say sorry and get some form of peace of mind, he did and he died happy on his return. He had suffered from nightmares ever since his return, i heard him screaming from well down the road at night, after his return for the short time he lived he never had another nightmare.

He was not a Chindit, who he dislike immensely, words cant described what he say and did, but he survived to return home and see his 3 year old child for the first time. He was a great man who never spoke about the war, the only reason i knew about the above is because he needed to get it off his mind just prior to his last trip to Burma.

Sorry for going on, just a bit of personnel; background on what is a very interesting thread.

I have a relative who served and died a Chindit, in Katha on the Irawaddi. I have his Kukhri and would be fascinated why your relative immensely dislike the Chindits.
  • Options

If i may just add some of the stories my father passed on to me re his time in Burma, he was never captured and fought with the royal west Kent’s, one of the last things he did before he passed away was to revisit Burma with the royal British legion.

He fought behind the Japanese lines for up to 9 months at a time, he was an expert in explosives and blew up many bridges, often fully loaded with trains, etc. They set out with sufficient food for around a month, they would then forage for the remainder of the time, eating there mules weren’t unusual. They fought hand to hand and he was bayoneted to tree with the bayonet going through his thigh, his great mate stood back to back with him and fought of the attack. They had no communication with their base and no communications with other patrols. Eveytime the entered another valley, they had no idea who or what they would come across, friend or foe, even the locals some were friendly, some were indifferent others were friends of the Japanese.

During one little skirmish, His mate took a bullet to his stomach, in most other places in the world the chances were fairly good, but with no medics, all they could would leave him behind to die or get captured and used a bayonet practice if he was lucky. Dad was the last one to say goodbye, they all heard the single shot and no one said a word.

The reason my dad went back to Burma was to say sorry and get some form of peace of mind, he did and he died happy on his return. He had suffered from nightmares ever since his return, i heard him screaming from well down the road at night, after his return for the short time he lived he never had another nightmare.

He was not a Chindit, who he dislike immensely, words cant described what he say and did, but he survived to return home and see his 3 year old child for the first time. He was a great man who never spoke about the war, the only reason i knew about the above is because he needed to get it off his mind just prior to his last trip to Burma.

Sorry for going on, just a bit of personnel; background on what is a very interesting thread.

All of us who have not been required to take up arms are so lucky. Reading this, it just underlines why so any veterans of any conflict just don't talk about their experiences to those of us who can only guess at what it's all about.

Thank you for sharing this.
  • Options

As soon as I saw 118 Field Regiment mentioned I knew that he must be local. The war memorial for the Regiment is in the Army Reserve building in Grove Park. I know this because I paraded there every Tuesday evening in front of the memorial to the fallen of the 65th(8th London) and 118th Field Regiments RA(TA). Looking back it is sad that on Remembrance Sundays there were no Old Comrades to lay a wreath for these boys.

There were other memorials in the building to other units and there were always a handful of veterans who laid wreaths right into the 1990s. But 118 Regiment had a long list of deaths - most of them as POWs and I guess that not many of the Regiment survived.

The grandfather of my friend Keith Phillips from Grove Park is also commemorated on the War Memorial. I remember Keith proudly pointing his grandfather's name out to me. Keith was sadly killed in the Falklands war serving with the Royal Marines aged 19. He was exactly one month older than me. My Regiment was on stand by to go down to the Falklands and on the night that we were told that we would not be going I was told of Keith's death.

http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/memorial:grove-park-field-regiments-ww2-war-memorial

118 Field Regiment was lost at Singapore and didn’t reform during WW2. When I go to Kew on Friday, I should get a better idea as to how many of these lads died in captivity building the Burma Railway and due to the general barbaric behaviour of the Japanese towards POWs.

RIP lads.
  • Options
    @Tom_Hovi if you are able to find it out I would be interested to know where the local drill halls or barracks that 118 Field Regiment were based.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Tom_Hovi said:

OK, just to follow up I'm going to the National Archives at Kew for some research on another project this Friday but whilst I'm there I will check the War Diary for 118 Field Regiment as well as the No
    Can anyone visit the National Archive? I have lots of details surrounding my Uncles death in Italy in 1944 but want to find out more if I can.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeteF said:

Tom_Hovi said:

OK, just to follow up I'm going to the National Archives at Kew for some research on another project this Friday but whilst I'm there I will check the War Diary for 118 Field Regiment as well as the No
    Can anyone visit the National Archive? I have lots of details surrounding my Uncles death in Italy in 1944 but want to find out more if I can.

Yes, it’s open to everyone. A lot of their records are now in digital format and can be downloaded without having to pay a personal visit. You can also search online through their collection without having to visit. If you do need to view physical files, then you will need to get a reader’s ticket. This is easy, you can register online but will obviously need to visit to get it. You need photo ID such as a passport or driving licence plus proof of address such as a recent utility bill. Once you have the reader’s ticket you can inspect physical files in the reading room there.

For your uncle in Italy, if you know which unit he served with and the date of death, you should be able to look at the war diary of his regiment or unit for the day in question.
  • Options

@Tom_Hovi if you are able to find it out I would be interested to know where the local drill halls or barracks that 118 Field Regiment were based.

Will do my best.
  • Options
    just makes me very proud to know (sort of) you lot
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:

PeteF said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Yes, it’s open to everyone. A lot of their records are now in digital format and can be downloaded without having to pay a personal visit. You can also search online through their collection without having to visit. If you do need to view physical files, then you will need to get a reader’s ticket. This is easy, you can register online but will obviously need to visit to get it. You need photo ID such as a passport or driving licence plus proof of address such as a recent utility bill. Once you have the reader’s ticket you can inspect physical files in the reading room there.

For your uncle in Italy, if you know which unit he served with and the date of death, you should be able to look at the war diary of his regiment or unit for the day in question.
    Thanks Tom, yes have his service number and Regiment and where he is buried, will do an online search first.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Tom_Hovi said:

PeteF said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Thanks Tom, yes have his service number and Regiment and where he is buried, will do an online search first.
    If you need any help just let me know.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

In the mid-60s I worked with a great character who had been a Bomber Command navigator. After a few pints he might occasionally mention his service. One story I can vividly recall. Long after the war Bill and his missus were on holiday - a cruise, I think - when they were befriended by a couple from Berlin. "Have you ever visited our city?" "As a matter of fact I've been several times, but I was never able to stay very long!"

In a similar vein, a friend was chatting to a German fellow on the train, quite a few years ago. The German asked if they'd got to London yet and when told 'Yes' said he didn't recognise it as he'd only seen it from the air before.
  • Options

Here's poor Vic Wilson's Japanese Prisoner of War Index Card. As you can see address was 60 Inverine Road Charlton. RIP Vic.

Have now found details of his death amongst documents entitled:
    Unreported deaths of Allied Personnel
    Name: Wilson Victor Charles
    Army Serial No: 904589
    Diagnosis: BERIBERI
    Date of Death 27th July 1943
    Disposition of Remains: Cremated

This is a certified copy of translated Japanese record.
    Signed by: N E Churchill
    1st Lt AGD
    Assistant Adjutant General

Thanks for this. 60 Inverine Road was his wife’s parents address so perhaps used for sake of convenience. CWGC shows him as having moved to Baughurst in Hampshire by this time. Vic was originally from Chevening Road, Greenwich which is where his parents still located in 1939.

Will see what I can unearth at Kew on Friday.
  • Options
    I looked at the 1939 register and as you say found his parents Edith and John V (a compositor) living at 49 Chevening Road along with his siser May (shorthand typist).

Something else war-related I found by co-incidence regarding Chevening Road, nothing to do with Vic but makes you realise the sacrifices ordinary people made for us, was a report on an inquest at Lewisham in June 1943. Mrs Minnie Matilda McCormack (age 30) of Chevening Road Greenwich worked at Woolwich Arsenal. She was breaking down a fuse and it exploded on her bench killing her. The fuse should not have contained any explosive by the time it reached her. Verdict: Accidental death. Coroner told her husband 'Your wife died for her country just as much as any soldier'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just bought a copy of the book, as I'm interested in individual stories of servicemen involved in the war; my father and his bother serving in The Royal Navy and an uncle being one of Lady Astor's D Day dodgers in Italy.
    Anyway some of the book is available on line, here the bit about Vic Wilson:

The Fall of Singapore

Alfred Allbury, a gunner in the 18th Division, witnessed the chaos that began to envelop Britain’s most formidable fortress in the Far East and which led to its capture by the Japanese within a week of their landing on Singapore Island.

My co-driver Vic Wilson and I sallied forth on nightly excursions to ammunition dumps scattered around the island-no transport could survive ten minutes on the road by day. Once our 15cwt was loaded, we had to deliver the shells to our guns. This called not so much for a knowledge of map reading as for the gift of clairvoyance. Jap planes and the unsuitability of the terrain for effective artillery positions kept our battery commanders roving the island in a desperate search for potential gun-sites. Those found and occupied were speedily made untenable by the sustained accuracy of the Japanese counterfire.
    Vic Wilson and I had long been friends. He was an unprincipled rogue with a wry sense of humour, and a healthy hatred of the war that kept him from his young wife and baby back home in Charlton.
    Our nightly runs soon became something of an ordeal. There was no moon and the island was plunged in a Stygian gloom. In many places where trees overhung the roads I had to guide Vic forward with the glow from a cigarette; and there were rickety makeshift bridges to cross, while all around the darkened island pulsated with the animations of a thousand things that crawled, slithered and scuffed. Some of the Japanese, we had heard, had already crossed the Straits, filtered through the lines and were roaming about at will. I had a round up the barrel of my rifle, the safety catch off, and often my finger grew moist on the trigger.
    By the day fifth-columnists were ubiquitous as the palms. Certain apparently guileless gentlemen would lead their herds of cattle across our gun positions. This would be followed almost immediately by a terrific blasting of Jap shells and mortars; so we took to shooting zealous drovers as a matter of principle. Other Japanese supporters secreted themselves in trees and further added to our discomfort by continual sniping. As Singapore was full of trees there was not much we could do about this except occasionally to loose off volleys into any tree that looked unduly suspect. I fear that many an unsuspecting and completely neutral coconut met a violent and untimely end as a result of our would-be reprisals. Certainly nothing else ever tumbled down to earth.
    On February 13th we heard that the Japs had landed in force on the island, had pushed inland and that a desperate battle was raging for Bukit Timah Hill. We also heard that the Americans had landed near Penang in the Japanese rear and were pressing down on them.
    But hourly the thunder of guns grew nearer. The front line became an ever-tightening ring around the town of Singapore. It became a hazardous feat to reach the few supply-dumps still available to us, and our own guns were as elusive as the fire-flies that flitted every evening in the shadows of wagon-lines.
    On the morning of February 14th the first tentative shells landed among our supply-dumps. They quickly found the exact range and soon a searing bombardment developed that sent us scuttling into our fox-holes. The Japs were ranging on us from heights that overlooked the town. Bukit Timah was theirs after the bloodiest of struggles, the reservoir was stained crimson with the blood of those who had fought so bitterly to hold it, and the little yellow men whom we had ridiculed and despised were in swarm across the island. It was already theirs.
    Next morning Vic and I set off on a last mad jaunt taking ammunition to ‘A’ Troop who were dug in behind a Chinese temple to the north of Racecourse Road. Vic drove like a maniac. He had, I found, been sampling a bottle of ‘John Haig’. We thundered along deserted roads, pitted and scarred with bomb craters. Wrecked and burnt-out vehicles lay everywhere, strewn at fantastic angles. The trolley-bus cables hung across the road in desolate festoons which shivered and whined as we raced over them. A few yards from the charred remains of an ambulance were a knot of troops gathered round a cook’s wagon. From them we scrounged a mug of hot tea and found out the guns of ‘A’ Troop were only a few hundred yards distant. We delivered our ammunition and an hour later rejoined Battery HQ close by the Raffles Hotel.
    Here we found everyone digging in like mad, preparing for a ‘last stand’. In front of the hotel, filling the air with deafening cracks and the pungent fumes of cordite, were a battery of howitzers. On either side, without a scrap of cover or camouflage, stood a score of other guns. Sweating, glistening bodies loaded, slammed breeches and fired. At once came the answering crack and whine of Japanese artillery; from the high ground above the town they could judge the range to a nicety. All around us men were fixing their bayonets and automatically I did the same.
    But late that afternoon came the news that we had surrendered. There was to be a cease-fire at four o’clock. We had fought and lost. And the ashes of defeat tasted bitter.
    At three o’clock all but a few of the guns were silent. Ammunition had been expended. From the hills there still came the occasional bark of a Japanese gun followed by the whine and crash of its shells. But by six o’clock, save for the spluttering of flames and the occasional explosion of ammunition, all was quiet over the island of Singapore. The carnage of the last ten days was quieted now, and in eerie silence our troops sat huddled together in puzzled but fatalistic expectancy.
    Vic and I returned to our lorry, ate some tinned bacon and biscuits and stretched ourselves luxuriously for our first uninterrupted sleep for many days. We took off our boots, smoked, talked and listened to the distant caterwauling of the Japanese.
    “They’ll probably,” said Vic “be crawling round us in the night, cutting off our ears.”
    But we stretched out and slept the sleep of the utterly exhausted, while around us into the tropic rose a barbaric and discordant dirge: the victory song of the triumphant Japanese.

Alfred Allbury
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

I just bought a copy of the book, as I'm interested in individual stories of servicemen involved in the war; my father and his bother serving in The Royal Navy and an uncle being one of Lady Astor's D Day dodgers in Italy.

The Fall of Singapore

Alfred Allbury, a gunner in the 18th Division, witnessed the chaos that began to envelop Britain’s most formidable fortress in the Far East and which led to its capture by the Japanese within a week of their landing on Singapore Island.

My co-driver Vic Wilson and I sallied forth on nightly excursions to ammunition dumps scattered around the island-no transport could survive ten minutes on the road by day. Once our 15cwt was loaded, we had to deliver the shells to our guns. This called not so much for a knowledge of map reading as for the gift of clairvoyance. Jap planes and the unsuitability of the terrain for effective artillery positions kept our battery commanders roving the island in a desperate search for potential gun-sites. Those found and occupied were speedily made untenable by the sustained accuracy of the Japanese counterfire.
    Vic Wilson and I had long been friends. He was an unprincipled rogue with a wry sense of humour, and a healthy hatred of the war that kept him from his young wife and baby back home in Charlton.
    Our nightly runs soon became something of an ordeal. There was no moon and the island was plunged in a Stygian gloom. In many places where trees overhung the roads I had to guide Vic forward with the glow from a cigarette; and there were rickety makeshift bridges to cross, while all around the darkened island pulsated with the animations of a thousand things that crawled, slithered and scuffed. Some of the Japanese, we had heard, had already crossed the Straits, filtered through the lines and were roaming about at will. I had a round up the barrel of my rifle, the safety catch off, and often my finger grew moist on the trigger.
    By the day fifth-columnists were ubiquitous as the palms. Certain apparently guileless gentlemen would lead their herds of cattle across our gun positions. This would be followed almost immediately by a terrific blasting of Jap shells and mortars; so we took to shooting zealous drovers as a matter of principle. Other Japanese supporters secreted themselves in trees and further added to our discomfort by continual sniping. As Singapore was full of trees there was not much we could do about this except occasionally to loose off volleys into any tree that looked unduly suspect. I fear that many an unsuspecting and completely neutral coconut met a violent and untimely end as a result of our would-be reprisals. Certainly nothing else ever tumbled down to earth.
    On February 13th we heard that the Japs had landed in force on the island, had pushed inland and that a desperate battle was raging for Bukit Timah Hill. We also heard that the Americans had landed near Penang in the Japanese rear and were pressing down on them.
    But hourly the thunder of guns grew nearer. The front line became an ever-tightening ring around the town of Singapore. It became a hazardous feat to reach the few supply-dumps still available to us, and our own guns were as elusive as the fire-flies that flitted every evening in the shadows of wagon-lines.
    On the morning of February 14th the first tentative shells landed among our supply-dumps. They quickly found the exact range and soon a searing bombardment developed that sent us scuttling into our fox-holes. The Japs were ranging on us from heights that overlooked the town. Bukit Timah was theirs after the bloodiest of struggles, the reservoir was stained crimson with the blood of those who had fought so bitterly to hold it, and the little yellow men whom we had ridiculed and despised were in swarm across the island. It was already theirs.
    Next morning Vic and I set off on a last mad jaunt taking ammunition to ‘A’ Troop who were dug in behind a Chinese temple to the north of Racecourse Road. Vic drove like a maniac. He had, I found, been sampling a bottle of ‘John Haig’. We thundered along deserted roads, pitted and scarred with bomb craters. Wrecked and burnt-out vehicles lay everywhere, strewn at fantastic angles. The trolley-bus cables hung across the road in desolate festoons which shivered and whined as we raced over them. A few yards from the charred remains of an ambulance were a knot of troops gathered round a cook’s wagon. From them we scrounged a mug of hot tea and found out the guns of ‘A’ Troop were only a few hundred yards distant. We delivered our ammunition and an hour later rejoined Battery HQ close by the Raffles Hotel.
    Here we found everyone digging in like mad, preparing for a ‘last stand’. In front of the hotel, filling the air with deafening cracks and the pungent fumes of cordite, were a battery of howitzers. On either side, without a scrap of cover or camouflage, stood a score of other guns. Sweating, glistening bodies loaded, slammed breeches and fired. At once came the answering crack and whine of Japanese artillery; from the high ground above the town they could judge the range to a nicety. All around us men were fixing their bayonets and automatically I did the same.
    But late that afternoon came the news that we had surrendered. There was to be a cease-fire at four o’clock. We had fought and lost. And the ashes of defeat tasted bitter.
    At three o’clock all but a few of the guns were silent. Ammunition had been expended. From the hills there still came the occasional bark of a Japanese gun followed by the whine and crash of its shells. But by six o’clock, save for the spluttering of flames and the occasional explosion of ammunition, all was quiet over the island of Singapore. The carnage of the last ten days was quieted now, and in eerie silence our troops sat huddled together in puzzled but fatalistic expectancy.
    Vic and I returned to our lorry, ate some tinned bacon and biscuits and stretched ourselves luxuriously for our first uninterrupted sleep for many days. We took off our boots, smoked, talked and listened to the distant caterwauling of the Japanese.
    “They’ll probably,” said Vic “be crawling round us in the night, cutting off our ears.”
    But we stretched out and slept the sleep of the utterly exhausted, while around us into the tropic rose a barbaric and discordant dirge: the victory song of the triumphant Japanese.

Alfred Allbury

As an ex-Gunner reading this I can really identify with what they were doing for their Battery. What amazes me is that some of these lads, perhaps including Vic, were pitched into war with very little training but were still brave enough to do their duty for us.
  • Options
    Exactly Jorge. My Dad was a Gunner. Joined up in 1933. Did his six years and back in again in 1939, demobbed October 1945. At least he was a trained soldier and also came through it all.
    For me it's even more chilling to realise that poor Vic was only 23 when captured in Feb 1942 and consequently only 24 when he died in the POW camp less than eighteen months later . Sadly one of many

• Options

HarryLime said:

The Fall of Singapore

Alfred Allbury

As an ex-Gunner reading this I can really identify with what they were doing for their Battery. What amazes me is that some of these lads, perhaps including Vic, were pitched into war with very little training but were still brave enough to do their duty for us.
    I think in Vic’s case at least, 118 Field Regiment would’ve had plenty of training. He joined up soon after the outbreak of war (which is why he doesn’t appear on the 1939 Register) and his unit was based at home in the U.K. throughout 1940 and much of 1941. They weren’t ready to be sent to France in 39/40 or to North Africa in 1941, so they wouldn’t have done much else except train. Singapore was the first action though. A study of their war diary tomorrow will reveal exactly what the level of readiness was though. Watch this space.

• Options
    Love this thread
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Bearing in mind my bit of research here is somewhat half-arsed and using the Free BDM search tool:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

We know Vic Wilson married Violet Brown in 1939, using the above site a Valerie V Wilson (mother’s maiden name Brown) was born in Greenwich in the first quarter of 1940. She is possibly the baby mentioned in Allbury’s account.
    And then at the end of 1960 a Valerie V Wilson married an Ernest C Jacob in Woolwich.
    3 children Paul D Jacob in 1961, Susan A Jacob in 1963 and Barry John Jacob in 1966 whose mothers maiden name was Wilson were born in the Woolwich/Sidcup/Lewisham area, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that these kids (now in their late 50s) were Vic’s grandchildren and possibly known by people on here.

Quite possibly so. I will put up everything I know over the weekend, probably on Sunday.