Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England and Wembley -

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
thought we did ok game was boring in parts as the Brazilians never seemed to be in top gear maybe I expected too much of them.

As for the team if Alan Smith is international class I am the pope.
As for the atmosphere - thank god the Brazilians were there otherwise it would have been like a morgue - there were people that tried.

One thing i could not get my head round were England fans wearign Brazil shirts.

Comments

• Options
    Complete let down.

Grown men in wigs doing mexican waves etc.

Could hear a pin drop most of the game.

No doubt away games will be like this soon enough.
  • Options
    Corporate, corporate, corporate bollocks
  • Options
    Glad i was in the Pub near Baker St good atmosphere in there
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I watched on TV and it was an uninspiring game but it was a friendlly. Credit to McClaren for sticking to the starting XI for most of the game and giving Storey a decent run-out and not just one half.

No idea how Gerrard got man of the match but I was hardly looking up from my book after half time.

Atmosphere on telly was strange. Very quiet and then very loud. Not sure if it was the TV people boosting the noise or that only a few songs got taken up.

Even the BBC mentioned the empty seats bang on the half-way line and showed close ups of the people coming back late to their seats. OK, they are owned by rich individuals or companies but would you not know someone who you could pass them onto? Clients, mates, chauffeur?
  • Options
    Shocking atmosphere, the guys in front left after 5 minutes, I think they had enough!

The Germany game should be better though.
  • Options
    The size of the place doesn't help with England games, unless everyone gets into one section, but that may well happen in time, the atmosphere weren't too bad where I was above the England bench.
  • Options
    I dont know why McClaren didnt play Hargreaves or Carrick in the defensive role that Gerrard had to play. Lampard was rubbish against Brazil and has been rubbish since the world cup. The team does not revolve around Gerrard and Lampard. Lampard should be dropped, and Gerrard should play in midfield with a defensive midfielder.
  • Options
    McClaren needs some balls and drop Lampard for the sake of the team.

The new Wembley is an awesome stadium but lakes the soul of the old one.

Despite all the money spent, getting to and from the stadium is still a nightmare.

Beckham should be in the squad but Lennon when he is fit is pushing him hard for a starting place.

The Beckham mania pissed me off grown men with their faces painted screaming at Beckham as if they were a star struck teens at a busted concert.

They should try and keep the England fans that want to stand and sing in one section which will generate a better atmosphere.
  • Options
    leftbehind -

were you in the Globe ?
  • Options
    I was in the Globe , stupid OB decision to close it at half 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had a few in there, then everyone seemed to opt to drink outside and refill their cups with cans bought from the off licence accross the road. Especially when the owner was selling at 8 cans for a fiver. Not bad for central london.
  • Options
    Architecturally the Stade de France is better than Wembley. Inside Wembley is better i.e. sight lines.
  • Options
    Lost my Wembley virginity yesterday and I'm not sure whether to be really impressed by the place or a bit sickened that football is truly now totally corporate bollocks.

Cheers for the ticket Stu, view of the game was superb, really nice day which was a plus and them fountains outside looked very tempting indeed but I didn't want to frighten the children away who were splashing around quite happily!

Now the minus points. £3.50 for a beer, £4.50 for a luke warm jank pie, upper class dick splashes, restaurants on the concourse which looked more like an airport terminal building, escalators everywhere, over the top stewards and again finally realising the tide has now totally tipped towards the corporate way now.
  • Options
    £3.50 for a beer is about the norm in London isn't it?

I never eat at football anyway and certainly not at wembley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]£3.50 for a beer is about the norm in London isn't it?

I never eat at football anyway and certainly not at wembley.

You must be joking, £3.50 in the city may be the going rate but that is a piss take for a 3/4 full plastic cup of beer in a football stadium. The pub we drank in before and the one after the game were nowhere near that dear.

I never normally eat at football but was bloody hungry and decided it was time for breakfast at half time. Wish I didn't bother but hey ho.