Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Knox Family

Most people would not have seen as there were very few people in the ground approx. 2.40, but there was a tribute on the pitch to Rob Knox's family (dad Colin and brother Jamie present) before the game Saturday.

I cannot believe it was nearly 10 years ago we were discussing on here that fateful Friday night.

The Knox family (and also the Mizen's who suffered a similar tragic event short afterwards) are some of the most inspirational people I could imagine. I have no idea how they have shown the strength, courage, drive in the years that have followed and continue to see the memory of their son live on in such positive ways through their foundation, film academy and Street Violence Ruins Lives (SVRL) etc.

Truly amazing.

Comments

• Options

One of the main reasons I am leaving London sick of the continual rise in knife crime carried out by sections of our communities and people unwilling to tackle the problem head on , I support and will be working with Mark Prince whose son was cruelly taken from him far too young , the education program the targeted stop and search based on profiling and history plus stricter sentences will eradicate the problem to a more manageable level

Yet people are too scared to make the decisions required due to being called racists

Yet Mark and another high profile supporter of the profiling stop and search Spencer Fearon are both black males who talk directly to the communities affected and support it

It’s a sad sad situation that life holds no value

Unfortunately NLA, you are not immune from it anywhere you go but I guess less chance of it outside big cities. The sort of people who fall into gangs have to see that high profile drug dealers end up in jail for a long time and that their lives are actually shit before they might stop seeing it as a glamorous alternative. Too often these drug dealers get away with too much for too long. Families have to play their part in breaking the macho-bollocks that goes with it - all this 'disrespect' nonsense has to be addressed. Stabbing a fellow poor, struggling kid, just like yourself (not just black-on-black, but how sad is that?) because he happens to live on another estate or has had the temerity to cross into your postcode is absolutely pathetic and we just fail to get that message through. Strong paternal influences are needed - I know they can't all do boxing or join the army but that's the sort of thing that offers kids a way out and let's others learn respect for themselves and not worry too much about other people's disrespect. Rant over.
  • Options
    By the way, I will put you down as 'strong paternal influence' - good luck.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    This one could get lively ! Don't think this will run past 6 o'clock. A debate we have had before and not one we never agree a solution to. It does surprise me though that it seems to be very much an inner London issue. Most other big uk cities do not seem to have the problem at anywhere near that of London.

Although, let's be clear Rob Knox was not a gang related death. He was unfortunate to come across an evil young thug, on an innocent night out. As was JIm Mizen.
  • Options
    Huge respect for the Knox family... To go through what they've gone through and to find the strength that they have is incredible, an inspiration.

As for gangs and knife crime, about a million things all need to change at once, and even then it would take generations. Of course, poverty need to be tackled, inner city schools, chances of employment for those most marginalised... Decent funding for the police, fit for purpose prison, punishment and rehabilitation programmes. Positive role models and community engagement to try and tackle family breakdown and absent fathers, tackling the whole of gun knife and drug culture to shatter that illusion that it's nothing other than an abomination, but provide better alternatives. Dare I say it there's an issue surrounding immigration and asylum which needs to go hand in hand with proper support. Gonna cost loads of money, loads of time and loads of resources. Serious respect to anyone who gets involved.
  • Options

Positive role models is the only way too many fatherless misguided kids out there

I see the pain in marks heart and it kills me every time

In Enfield last year we went through a horrific period of kids killing kids and Mark put a post on Facebook and twitter as a direct message for things to calm and slow down and for kids to stop killing each other , things stopped virtually over night we will never know if he influenced it or it was a natural end but the man was hurting that night not just about his son but those he had never met

The mans an inspiration to me as a father a man and a human the respect I give him is unmeasurable

A lot of the reason kids join gangs is because they are the family they don't have at home. That has to be replaced somehow to break the cycle