Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheers doncaster

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

we play Blackburn last home game of the season so keeping in tradition of a club celebrating promotion at our place.

About time that the gods smiled upon us though.
    Especially against Blackburn.

Season 1957-58 Second Division, in front of a crowd of 56,000,

Having been relegated the previous season, Charlton just needed a point to be promoted straight back to the First Division (top tier).
    Blackburn themselves needed a win to be promoted.

You can guess what happened.

CAFC lost 3-4. I was there
  • Options

My Dad too, Dansk ..... and he'd told me all about it when I was a lad, which is why I brought it up now.
    Just wondering if fate would lend a hand - and we might get the opportunity to settle an old score?

Any other posters at that match 60 years ago?

• Options
    I was also there and after we scored first, I think it was Fred Lucas who scored we were sure we would win and be promoted. Bryan Douglas and Eddie Clayton? were their stars.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

My Dad too, Dansk ..... and he'd told me all about it when I was a lad, which is why I brought it up now.
    Just wondering if fate would lend a hand - and we might get the opportunity to settle an old score?

Any other posters at that match 60 years ago?

Aye, posted this in the '60 years ago today' thread last month:

I was in short pants and my only recollections were, the opposition's very destinctive blue and white halved shirts, the size of the crowd, me worrying about falling off the wall at the back corner of the East Terrace to the side of the Covered End and my Dad being very p*ssed off after the game! As for away support there was of course no segregation and would have been intermixed throughout.
  • Options
    My dad told me about that game to.
    Commented that a charlton player shot at goal- the ball was going towards the post when Stuart Leary hit the ball - wide of the post.
    I believe this happened near the end of the game when Blackburn were either drawing or 1up.
    Can anyone remember this incident ?