Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Antonio Conte

13»

Comments

• Might be the worst half of football I've seen from Chelsea in a long while. Watford have played well though.

Worst half of football from them since.............last week when they turned a 0-0 half time score into a 0-3 home defeat to Bournemouth.
    Yeah but I didn't see that ;-)
  • Conte to Madrid
    Zidane to Chelsea

Nah they'd go for Tuchel I reckon.

I think it'll be Simeone.
  • Conte to Madrid
    Zidane to Chelsea

Nah they'd go for Tuchel I reckon.

I think it'll be Simeone.
    Me too - if he falls for the Russian $$$$$.
  • Hope Southgate was watching Cahill last night. Another stay at homer in June along with Hart hopefully.
  • Hope Southgate was watching Cahill last night. Another stay at homer in June along with Hart hopefully.

Well we've Holland and Italy at the end of March so the squad for those games will be announced soon.

Be interesting to see who's picked and who becomes injured

Especially as Spurs are away @ Chelsea the a few days after the Italy game

Let's be honest, there aren't too many England players currently actually playing well.

Kane, Lingard, Walker and Sterling have had good seasons so far.........then i'm struggling. Stones and Dier? Maybe Trippier but he won't get in ahead of Walker anyway.

Let's be honest, there aren't too many England players currently actually playing well.

Kane, Lingard, Walker and Sterling have had good seasons so far.........then i'm struggling. Stones and Dier? Maybe Trippier but he won't get in ahead of Walker anyway.
    I would add Maguire and Bertrand to that list.

Plus a certain centre back who has been playing at full back for Liverpool. And a forward who is currently plying his trade in Germany.

Plus a certain centre back who has been playing at full back for Liverpool. And a forward who is currently plying his trade in Germany.
    If you're doing your darndest to get our ex-players on the plane, surely Popey gets ahead of Lookman!

If you're doing your darndest to get our ex-players on the plane, surely Popey gets ahead of Lookman!
    Indeed - the trouble is that Heaton, when fit, will almost certainly take the first team jersey back at Burnley and I'm not sure that England will take someone who isn't even playing first team football.
  • Anyone who starts Bakayoko deserves the boot IMO, worse player ever and wouldn't have got in Watfords squad.

Watford looked pretty good last night, both Deolufeu and Richarlinson were quality and Doucare has looked really good too. Apologise for the poor spelling as i cba to google them.
  • Sponsored links:

Indeed - the trouble is that Heaton, when fit, will almost certainly take the first team jersey back at Burnley and I'm not sure that England will take someone who isn't even playing first team football.
    Think there would still be a good chance of Hart going even if he should be nowhere near the plane

Pickford.

Pickford.
    rather have Pope, think he's had a great season so far. possibly a bit early for him though. still think he should be at least back up at the world cup.
  • Anyone who starts Bakayoko deserves the boot IMO, worse player ever and wouldn't have got in Watfords squad.

Watford looked pretty good last night, both Deolufeu and Richarlinson were quality and Doucare has looked really good too. Apologise for the poor spelling as i cba to google them.

He was pretty decent for Monaco last season but even so, still a very very strange decision to get rid of Matic and bring him in. Although that won't have been Conte's decision

Hope Southgate was watching Cahill last night. Another stay at homer in June along with Hart hopefully.

Pickford.
    I'll admit to not seeing much of Everton this season, but only Stoke, West ham and Huddersfield have conceded more.

Think there would still be a good chance of Hart going even if he should be nowhere near the plane
    Agreed but I suspect that Hart will get back into the first team by the time the season finishes and of course, however, poorly he has been playing, he does have that international experience and is used to playing with those defenders. It's all about timing for Pope and if he doesn't get to play friendlies then they aren't going to send him simply because it is too big a position and competition to blood a rookie.

He was pretty decent for Monaco last season but even so, still a very very strange decision to get rid of Matic and bring him in. Although that won't have been Conte's decision

Hope Southgate was watching Cahill last night. Another stay at homer in June along with Hart hopefully.

Pickford.
    I'll admit to not seeing much of Everton this season, but only Stoke, West ham and Huddersfield have conceded more.
    Looked a good signing on paper, but early games looked out of place and hasn't picked up really. Had the odd goal but other then that doesn't offer anything, they then have two midfielders on the bench who would get in most sides in Fabregas & Drinkwater. All very strange unless Conte was made to play him?

TBF the whole Chelsea set up is completely a mess at present so the writing will be on the wall, but can imagine them waiting until after Barca in the Europe to whether to sack him.

I dont really want to get on the England debate on this thread, but feel alot of the starters have been pretty decent this year. best to discuss that on a different thread completely not sure why its on this one...
  • Conte is a great manager. Can see him at Milan or back to the national team.

Pickford.
    Would have conceded even more without him. The question was which English players have had good seasons - he has.
  • Chelsea's transfer policy seems a bit dysfunctional. Twice now they've won the title, but not bought well in the summer afterwards. The desperate scrabble for a striker in January wasn't the sort of thing you'd expect from a top club

• Chelsea's transfer policy seems a bit dysfunctional. Twice now they've won the title, but not bought well in the summer afterwards. The desperate scrabble for a striker in January wasn't the sort of thing you'd expect from a top club

I think the recruitment budget has been slashed because of the costs of the new stadium. Abramovitch has deep pockets and has spent hundreds of millions - but there must be a limit and Conte is expected to keep up performances without having the vast amount of money that was available in the past. Will be unfair if he is fired.
  • Sponsored links:

• some people claimed that not having European football last season helped them win the league, does it work in reverse? are they now wank in the league because they are also playing European football this season?

I don't know about that. Lookman might do a job in goal.
  • some people claimed that not having European football last season helped them win the league, does it work in reverse? are they now wank in the league because they are also playing European football this season?

I think there is truth in it, they had a very good season as they wasn't fighting on all fronts. However it hasn't been proved with Arsenal this season, Europa doesn't really count as they are playing their reserves. The thing is on that note, its not like they have tonnes of extra games down to Europe , City are coping ok but they have more depth. Suppose the main thing is if you are in Europe still come Feb you will need a big squad to cover all the games over xmas- End of season.

With more games to play, that will take a toll on the players. Leicester, like Chelsea, were able to keep a constant team when they won the league, but struggled with the extra games the season after.

I remember Ipswich who qualified for Europe after we both got promoted to the PL, but really struggled the following season with the extra games and got relegated!
  • edited February 2018
    cafc-west said:

Chelsea's transfer policy seems a bit dysfunctional. Twice now they've won the title, but not bought well in the summer afterwards. The desperate scrabble for a striker in January wasn't the sort of thing you'd expect from a top club

I think the recruitment budget has been slashed because of the costs of the new stadium. Abramovitch has deep pockets and has spent hundreds of millions - but there must be a limit and Conte is expected to keep up performances without having the vast amount of money that was available in the past. Will be unfair if he is fired.
    Chelsea have spent about 250m since the summer. The problem isn't having the money available, it's that they haven't spent it at all well. But Conte doesn't buy the players, Chelsea have a transfer committee fronted by a woman who used to be Abramovich's PA!!

And replacing 2 well established Premier league players (Matic and Diego costa) with Bakayoko and Morata has been a complete failure.
  • edited February 2018

some people claimed that not having European football last season helped them win the league, does it work in reverse? are they now wank in the league because they are also playing European football this season?

Last season 392 of the 418 starting slots in the League were occupied by just 13 players with the rest of the squad of 11 players starting just 26 matches between them. Plus they haven't successfully replaced Costa.

The season before, when Leicester won it, 12 players started 387 matches with the other 7 players starting 31 games.

This season City have been hit, at different times, by injuries to Silva, Kompany, Jesus, Stones, Mendy, Gundogan, Delph and Sane but have still only had 20 players start for them in the League in total.
  • cafc-west said:

Chelsea's transfer policy seems a bit dysfunctional. Twice now they've won the title, but not bought well in the summer afterwards. The desperate scrabble for a striker in January wasn't the sort of thing you'd expect from a top club

Chelsea have spent about 250m since the summer. The problem isn't having the money available, it's that they haven't spent it at all well. But Conte doesn't buy the players, Chelsea have a transfer committee fronted by a woman who used to be Abramovich's PA!! Thomas Driesen

It all makes sense now
  • cafc-west said:

Chelsea have spent about 250m since the summer. The problem isn't having the money available, it's that they haven't spent it at all well. But Conte doesn't buy the players, Chelsea have a transfer committee fronted by a woman who used to be Abramovich's PA!!

And replacing 2 well established Premier league players (Matic and Diego costa) with Bakayoko and Morata has been a complete failure.
    To be fair, until this season she was being viewed as a genius. It's only this season that public opinion has turned. This is the person who got £60m for Oscar who was having a total mare in the Premier League that season, £8m for Papy Djilobodji - a profit of £4m despite barely playing a minute for Chelsea, £25m for Ramires who was living out his life on the bench and £6m for Thorgan Hazard - 16x what the paid for him despite him not playing for the first team at all. She also negotiated a record kit deal with Nike. I'm not sure if signing players isn't her strength or if she's also hamstrung by Abramovich not wanting to meet the top level fees that clubs are being asked to pay now, but just writing her off as a former PA when she's been running the day to day, player sales and high level negotiations for about 7 years is just incorrect.