Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

buyitdirect.co.uk phone charges rip off!

edited January 2018 in Not Sports Related
Got a problem with a new oven and needed to speak to their customer services dept.
States phone lines are open from 8 am to 6pm.....calls cost 13p per min!
Make the call at approx 5.15 and after being given several different options I eventually get customer services to ring......followed by shyte music and please hold messages etc etc.
After 12 minutes no answer, so I hang up and decide to get through to their sales dept instead who will “of course” answer much quicker.
Wait for a further 3 minutes and they answer and I explain that I actually want customer services can they help?
“Oh they all go home at 5.00” she says, in a sort of don’t you know that you daft sod voice!
No, I bloody well don’t, as the website says call between 8 and 6!
15 X 13 = £1.95......for SFA!!! PLUS network provider charges......which I don’t know.
Any suggestions what I should do next?
Both serious and prankish answers considered.............as from experience I know the later will far outweigh the former.

Comments

• edited January 2018
    There are phone apps you can install that reverse the charges on such calls when you're put on hold. Essentially it hangs up the call from your end and then calls you back when you're taken off of hold.

Try WeQ4U
  • £1.95? I didn't know things were that bad. Start up a just giving page.

#savesoundas

• There are phone apps you can install that reverse the charges on such calls when you're put on hold. Essentially it hangs up the call from your end and then calls you back when you're taken off of hold.

Interesting, tell me more BBW.
  • Addickted said:

£1.95? I didn't know things were that bad. Start up a just giving page.

#savesoundas

Knew it would only be a matter of time.
    Morning Nick......oh, and sod off whilst you’re about it!
  • There are phone apps you can install that reverse the charges on such calls when you're put on hold. Essentially it hangs up the call from your end and then calls you back when you're taken off of hold.

Interesting, tell me more BBW.
    The one I mention above is, I believe, the market leader but there are bespoke alternatives for phone numbers starting with differing concatenations of numbers.
  • Have you tried emailing them?
  • Hats off to concatenations.
    New word for me.
  • seth plum said:

Hats off to concatenations.
    New word for me.

It's for all the Excel users out there :smile:
  • edited January 2018
    You could be old-fashioned and write to complain - I think it's about £1.70 to send as 'signed for' (which would be cheaper than call costs thus far, and so probably cheaper if the next option is to ring again) and ensure letter starts 'COMPLAINT'. CC to both your local trading standards office and the TS office nearest to the company.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/complain-about-a-premium-rate-phone-charge-or-text-message/ for options regarding whether what you were charged was reasonable or not, and
    http://www.area-codes.org.uk/more/084-and-087-number-ban.php - because customer service numbers can't be charged at premium rate. So if they charged you premium rate and shouldn't have, include in your complaint that you expect a refund of £1.95 + a reasonable amount for your time spent on hold - as well as sorting out whatever you were actually ringing them about. It may only be a few quid but it'll be a nuisance for them to have to process the payment back to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Customer service numbers can’t be charged at premium rates.... hahaha... wish somebody would tell that to uk visas and immigration who start a call by asking for a credit/debit card number to be charged at £1.35 a minute....

And that’s before the rest of their money making shenanigans