Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trip to New York

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Tenement museum. Seriously the best museum I've been to for ages. They have a great book and gift shop too.

China town is good, Little Italy a tourist trap.

High Line is good.

Go and see the Yankees or Mets if it is Baseball season.

Subway is dirty and the maps and names bewildering when compared to London but never felt unsafe.

But try to walk around as you see lots on interesting stuff.

Central Park is good and lots of good art gallerias/Museum's if art is your thing.

At the bottom of Manhatten from where you get the ferry to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (worth a trip) there is a museum of the Native American which is good.

I love New York.
  • Options

Acab said:

Get New York pass. About $100 free entry into 64 sites. I went for 5 days planned in advance where to go to maximise visits. Good luck. You’ll love it.

We got one of these, took a boat trip from pier 42? down the Hudson early evening and up the East, on the return trip, it was dark and you could see Manhattan, all lit up.
    I did the same but got at Brooklyn pier and walked back over the bridge to ground zero.
  • Options
    The tenement museum best museum surely not Henry. What about ours.
  • Options
    Love NYC too, going back for a quick shopping trip in May
  • Options
    Acab said:

The tenement museum best museum surely not Henry. What about ours.

It is that good that it is even better than ours.

Not much Charlton content though.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yankee Stadium is definitely impressive for baseball and New York City FC play there as well now.

Williamsburg is a good alternative to Greenwich Village to see where the hipsters hang out. To be fair there are some great bars and restaurants there, and Brooklyn generally is great (not all parts though) especially Prospect Park. Forest Hills in Queens is another good area if you want to get out of Manhattan.

If you are in Penn Station try to get a pizza from Rosie's there. Food generally is very expensive so fast food is a good option - hot dogs and pretzels from street vendors are the way to go as well.

The Strand close to Union Square is the biggest second hand bookstore in the world and is amazing if you're a bookworm. Forbidden Planet is round the corner as well if you or anyone you're with is into comics.

South Street Seaport right down the bottom of Manhattan is interesting to walk around with some pretty old pubs.

New York is absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    Dunno if Tennis is your thing or your schedule would match up, but the US Open is on around September. Tickets aren't crazy expensive and are easy to come by for the earlier rounds.
  • Options
    O'hara's 120 Cedar Street is close to the 911 memorial and The World Trade Centre is a great Irish Pub and the food is really good. If you are going to the tennis tickets are easy to get but its nothing like Wimbledon
  • Options

Acab said:

Get New York pass. About $100 free entry into 64 sites. I went for 5 days planned in advance where to go to maximise visits. Good luck. You’ll love it.

We got one of these, took a boat trip from pier 42? down the Hudson early evening and up the East, on the return trip, it was dark and you could see Manhattan, all lit up.
    Another one for the pass used this firm.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/?aid=146&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Ecom+Mission+Limited&utm_campaign=3193134_Follow+up+3&dm_i=CXI,1WFU6,JJ7Z2M,6TFNH,1

Hop on and off was great as you was driving through New York not stuck in the subway.

Bike hire in Central Park and over the Brooklyn bridge

• Options
    I love NYC.
    Echo all the above. Particular recommendations from me - The Highline Walk, Times Square at night (pop in the Pig and WHistle as mentioned), Grand Central (eat seafood in the Oyster Bar & Restaurant there), ESB by day, The Rock at night, Museum of Modern Art, ride the subway, Staten Island ferry for views of the SoL. Look upwards as you walk around. Wonderful city and great people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you plan on using the subway get a metro card from the ticket machine. It's like an oyster card and you can swipe up to 4 people through the turnstiles on each journey (Subject to enough credit).
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

If you plan on using the subway get a metro card from the ticket machine. It's like an oyster card and you can swipe up to 4 people through the turnstiles on each journey (Subject to enough credit).

How much is a single journey? It used to be 1 dollar when we lived out there (paid for with a token), but that was back in 2000-2001.