Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• I think the women's game has progressed a great deal. Goalkeeping is a position that will take longer but they will get there. It is a very technical position and the opportunities for coaching are lesser for it. There will always be a physicality difference but you can see well coached women keepers like Christiane Endler who is technically strong. With the game growing in professionalisim, there will be more and more but because it is so technical it is going to take a few years to feed through. 

I do wonder if Cummings has access to the men's team coaches as I think she has a lot of the attributes to have a great future. There are some weaknesses but also a good amount of strengths.
    So, not there yet then.

Which is my point.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    There does seem to be a bit of a pattern with the goals:
    Against Coventry, both teams scored straight from a corner and today our goal was a cross that drifted over the goalkeeper and in.

It appears there’s a common weakness in the goalkeeping when it comes to defending against drifting balls from wide.
    Got it in one.
    It did not drift into the net. It was hit with power.

The goals from corners in the Coventry were out of low sun and not seen by the keepers.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I think the women's game has progressed a great deal. Goalkeeping is a position that will take longer but they will get there. It is a very technical position and the opportunities for coaching are lesser for it. There will always be a physicality difference but you can see well coached women keepers like Christiane Endler who is technically strong. With the game growing in professionalisim, there will be more and more but because it is so technical it is going to take a few years to feed through. 

I do wonder if Cummings has access to the men's team coaches as I think she has a lot of the attributes to have a great future. There are some weaknesses but also a good amount of strengths.
    So, not there yet then.

Which is my point.
    Charlton Women now have 2 good professional keepers.

Yesterday Eartha Cummings kept a clean sheet. There is a goalkeeping coach within the team structure. 

You get a far better impression of the team by being at the games. The improvement in fitness this season is very obvious.

• How come the Womens' team have better corner takers then the Mens' team ...... ?

• Oggy Red said:

How come the Womens' team have better corner takers then the Mens' team ...... ?

Albie's been coaching them 😂😂😂
  • Highlights of the game now up on Youtube.
  • Tomorrow's cup game v Brighton being streamed.
  • Sponsored links:

• League cup fixtures are in. All 3 games are Wednesday evenings at 7.30. One home, two away.

13 Oct. Spurs away (The Hive, Barnet FC)
    17 Nov. Coventry United home
    15 Dec. Watford away (King's Langley FC)

The Coventry game is on sale from the women's section of the ticket website already, priced £5 or £3 concessions, compared to the normal £10 or £5. My understanding is that season ticket holders will need to pay to get into this one.
  • Is it on you tube or FA player?
  • Is it on you tube or FA player?
    FA Player.
  • Don't know if anyone has been watching, but Brighton have been a step ahead of us all evening and piling on the pressure, we're currently 1-0 down. 

To be honest it's still a great effort seeing as the rest of the teams left in the competition are all WSL teams
  • Been trying to watch on FA Player but it wouldn't let me sign up. Followed the game on Twitter and sounds like we defended well. There have been some thrashings tonight and as the lowest team left we've done ourselves proud. 
  • edited September 2021
    We did do ok. Should have scored early on when we hit the bar. Their keeper made a great save in added time. I think it will have been a useful exercise for Karen Hills as it possibly highlighted the players who can step up to the next level and who can't. 

Brighton deserved the narrow win but there wasn't too much separating the sides. I think a bit more belief and a bit more pace up front and we could have won it. Cummings had no chance with the goal and didn't have that much to do, but her punching from high balls in was good.

I won't name names but there were a couple of players I felt weren't progressing us. But overall I was impressed on the ability and defensive qualities of the side and I think we are definitely worth a punt on promotion. And  should we achieve that we are not a million miles away from a team like Brighton.
  • I managed to miss that this was on, so only spotted it when I saw the headline and report on the BBC website

A decent effort to get that far and be so competitive against WSL opponents Brighton. The other 3 semi-finalists are Chelsea, Arsenal and City, so financially on a different planet
  • This is probably the moment to mention that this weekend's game at Watford is on the Saturday, rather than the usual Sunday. 2pm at Vicarage Road. Not much use to anyone who's going to Fleetwood, but in the event there's anyone who isn't travelling that far but is free that afternoon, it's £12 admission, £5 concessions. 
  • I suspect that means it won't be streamed either 
  • Sponsored links:

• Currently 2-0 up at Watford 
  • Now 4-0 up at Watford
  • Now 4-0 up at Watford
    Great news, but typical that it’s the first game I haven’t watched this season!
  • Top of the league tonight! 👍🏼😎
  • great win, Things looking good. Noticed no Rutherford again though, anyone know how long she is out for? 
  • Superb win    
  • redman said:
    great win, Things looking good. Noticed no Rutherford again though, anyone know how long she is out for? 
    She was cup tied for the Brighton game. No reason yet for missing today.

• What a shift this team has put in this week. So many positives to take away. Also a huge win for the guys too. A good weekend all round @CAFCWomen @CAFCOfficial

• Crusty54 said:
    redman said:
    great win, Things looking good. Noticed no Rutherford again though, anyone know how long she is out for? 
    She was cup tied for the Brighton game. No reason yet for missing today.

Is that right I thought she was with us last year but injured for most of the year? Roe and Olding were definitely cup tied.