Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• shirty5 said:
    Palace are Part time? 

As both Charley Clifford and Grace Coombs who are both Ex Charlton and on the bench for Palace now, I assume all or most of their players are part time.
  • edited November 2021
    2-1, game on.

Charlton training 5 days a week *should be a factor in fitness if not skill. 

* :/ Or I could be wrong !
  • Poor defending by cafc but great forward play by Millie Farrow to make it 3-1 Palace, and scores from an acute angle with four defenders trying to clear.

• A decent cross by Cafc to make it 3-2
  • edited November 2021
    We looked quite poor if I'm being honest.
  • The score 3-2 flatters us as Palace by far the better team. Lots of effort from us but no real commitment. 
  • Poor performance. Probably the worst I've seen this year. Something wrong there I'm afraid. 3 2 flattered us and oth than Cummings in goal outplayed in every department. 
    Summed it up for me when they came out after half time. Body language was dreadful and that of a beaten side.
  • It must be  tough for the Charlton players, having to play in the Palace heartland of Bromley  ;)
  • When the men were poor the women were good. Now the men are better the women are worse. Need to get to a point where they are both on form. 
  • Palace are a good side and I think they benefit in recruitment by being part time for now, there's a lot of local women's players not at a club or have dropped down the leagues so they had their pick over the summer.

This year was always going to be a transition year, but there are at least 3 sides better than us on paper. 

• Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    Palace are a good side and I think they benefit in recruitment by being part time for now, there's a lot of local women's players not at a club or have dropped down the leagues so they had their pick over the summer.

This year was always going to be a transition year, but there are at least 3 sides better than us on paper. 

I wasn't sure if they were still part time, but that explains a lot. Grace Coombs, who played at CAFC for a long time, played for them and looked solid yesterday. They had some very good players and really liked their harassing, chasing, attacking attitude. Their forward Farrow was very lively.
    Oh well, hopefully we can improve and continue upwards. First time at Bromley's ground and very nice it is too!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Palace are a good side and I think they benefit in recruitment by being part time for now, there's a lot of local women's players not at a club or have dropped down the leagues so they had their pick over the summer.

I wasn't sure if they were still part time, but that explains a lot. Grace Coombs, who played at CAFC for a long time, played for them and looked solid yesterday. They had some very good players and really liked their harassing, chasing, attacking attitude. Their forward Farrow was very lively.
    Oh well, hopefully we can improve and continue upwards. First time at Bromley's ground and very nice it is too!
    Grace is a very experienced and very good defender at this level, one of the most experienced in the league, ex CAFC from memory you also have Charley Clifford (all time record appearance holder for CAFC) and Hannah Churchill via Brighton. Personally aside from potentially fitness levels which should be higher I don't see our replacements for them as being better players, we still leak far too many goals to challenge at the top.

Theres a lot of very good footballers who for various reasons don't want to be full time (predominantly as they have other careers). Take Grace & Charley, no idea if they were offered full time contracts at CAFC but at nearly 31 and 28 both probably felt any full time career would be short due to their age and therefore not worthwhile in the long term for their living standards/careers, also quite possible that for some giving up their full time careers would have meant a pay cut as the salaries at this level aren't high.

But it is interesting that the move to Full time hasn't yet yielded the expected results, but I think it is a transition period and will take a couple of years, but by then most if not all teams in this division will likely be full time.

Liverpool will likely win the league although I wouldn't be surprised to see Durham and And London City to push them to the end, London City are a very good side and have a very good set up down at Dartford, they have at least 3 ex Charlton. 
  • Our next two games are against the top two in the league. We'll be doing well if we get anything out of either game, so once we get to half way through the season we may well be firmly in the bottom half of the table, albeit well clear of the relegation battle, unlike last year. Going full time isn't a magic solution as it was in our first season when only one club was full time. It's a very competitive league and it wouldn't need much of an improvement for us to be challenging at the top, but then again that's true for almost everybody.
  • So if the women’s team had stayed Part time this season would they have been in a worse league position so far? 
  • Yeah, it feels like we're a solid mid table side in this group of teams. We're tidy and quite technical, but I think we lack a bit of raw pace, strength and maybe ball-carrying ability in each of the departments. A decent foundation, though.
  • I think one player could make a massive difference and two probably gets you a title winning side so we are in a stronger position. But sadly, one of those positions is a striker which poses its own problems.
  • Our next two games are against the top two in the league. We'll be doing well if we get anything out of either game, so once we get to half way through the season we may well be firmly in the bottom half of the table, albeit well clear of the relegation battle, unlike last year. Going full time isn't a magic solution as it was in our first season when only one club was full time. It's a very competitive league and it wouldn't need much of an improvement for us to be challenging at the top, but then again that's true for almost everybody.
    Actually playing Coventry United in the Continental Cup at The Oakwood on Wednesday evening. A chance to try some new ideas?

Going full time has allowed more training and a much fitter squad but several players are being played out of their best position.
  • I understand the logic, but it still sounds a bit of a lame "excuse" to say that Palace have got some better players because they're part time

Having said that on the men's side you do get part time players who wouldn't go full time as they have decent jobs, such as Dartford's long time captain Elliot Bradbrook who could have stepped up a level, but didn't because of this
  • shirty5 said:
    So if the women’s team had stayed Part time this season would they have been in a worse league position so far? 
    No, not saying that, but when you go from part time to full time (or vice versa I guess) you lose a lot of players that you may have wanted to keep, so it's a rebuilding job and will take a season or two to do that. Palace remaining part time have had the pick of (part time) players from a few teams over the last couple of years. 

Imagine you have a job playing £60k+ a year and get a small income from football, I doubt many would give up the £60k to go full time footballer for less than half that especially if you are in the later stages of your career.

The women's game (this league and above) are going professional, so I don't think you have much of an option longer term but to turn pro or accept you'll likely drop a league.

• Rob7Lee said:

Liverpool will likely win the league although I wouldn't be surprised to see Durham and And London City to push them to the end, London City are a very good side and have a very good set up down at Dartford, they have at least 3 ex Charlton. 
    Only 2 former players at the Lionesses now. Harley Bennett and Lily Ag. Liz Ejupi has moved to Durham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    Our next two games are against the top two in the league. We'll be doing well if we get anything out of either game, so once we get to half way through the season we may well be firmly in the bottom half of the table, albeit well clear of the relegation battle, unlike last year. Going full time isn't a magic solution as it was in our first season when only one club was full time. It's a very competitive league and it wouldn't need much of an improvement for us to be challenging at the top, but then again that's true for almost everybody.
    Actually playing Coventry United in the Continental Cup at The Oakwood on Wednesday evening. A chance to try some new ideas?

Going full time has allowed more training and a much fitter squad but several players are being played out of their best position.
    Out of interest which players are being played out of their best position?
  • I think one player could make a massive difference and two probably gets you a title winning side so we are in a stronger position. But sadly, one of those positions is a striker which poses its own problems.
    Centre forward is clearly a problem. Sunday we effectively played without one first half; then at half time we brought a centre half to play there when we had 2 natural centre forwards sitting on the bench! Our midfield rarely seems to offer much while we have 3 decent wide front players and competetent defenders. 
  • Eartha Cummings called up for Scotland squad 
  • Continental Cup fixture tomorrow at Crayford, 7.30 against Coventry. It would be great if as many as possible could get there and give the girls some encouragement, but for those who can't be there in person it will be streamed on CharltonTV and the YouTube channel.

This coming Sunday at 2pm will be the home fixture against Lionesses, who are one of the form teams at the moment.
  • Conti Cup match successfully negotiated 3-1. There's not much chance of us progressing to the next round but all we can do is win the one remaining game and see what happens. And now for Sunday.
  • Not sure if that is true Swindon. I thought I heard winners of the Group go though and 2nd place teams go into a play off. If we beat Watford we will come 2nd. 
  • The version I heard was that the one place for a second-place finisher is decided on points per game, which is pretty hard to win from a group of 4 when there are groups of 5.
  • edited November 2021
    The version I heard was that the one place for a second-place finisher is decided on points per game, which is pretty hard to win from a group of 4 when there are groups of 5.
    Interesting. 
    If what you’re saying is correct, the system is flawed:
    In theory at least, any team should have beaten teams below them in the table, therefore 2nd in a 5 team table has 3 teams below them while 2nd in a 4 team table only have 2 below them and therefore the team coming 2nd in the 5 team table will have played more “inferior” teams and should therefore have more points per game. For example, if all teams in a table beat the teams below them, 2nd place in a 4 team table would have 1 loss, 2 wins which is 2 points per game. 2nd in a 5 team table would have 1 loss and 3 wins: an average of 2.25 points per game. Obviously results don’t necessarily go like that and the quality of the opposition will have some effect on this, and it may also be that some sort of seeding process partly addresses it, but it’s demonstrably unfair.

Hopefully I’ve misunderstood, you’ve misheard or been misinformed or there’s some other caveat that corrects this.
  • So if my maths is right, we win the final game, our PPG would be two. If a team playing 4 games won two and drew one, they would be on 1.75 PPG and if they won 3, it would be 2.25 PPG.