Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• Any idea when the fixtures will be announced?
    No-one seems to know. The FA haven't even hinted at a date yet. Last year they came out on the first Friday in July, although the first fixture was a week earlier last year than this. 
  • Excellent news that Sian Rogers has joined us on a contract after the end of her loan period. A good keeper makes a huge difference.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/sian-rogers-makes-permanent-move
  • Still no news of contracts for several of the retained players from last season let alone enough new signings.

• From what I remember the only new signing is Longhurst with retained as Rogers (also she was a loan last year, Roe, Godfrey, Skeels, Henson, Roche, Ross, Addison and the acadamy player Mary B (can't remember her name!). Rutherford will still be recovering from her ACL and miss the start of the season. 
  • redman said:
    From what I remember the only new signing is Longhurst with retained as Rogers (also she was a loan last year, Roe, Godfrey, Skeels, Henson, Roche, Ross, Addison and the acadamy player Mary B (can't remember her name!). Rutherford will still be recovering from her ACL and miss the start of the season. 
    Rogers is a new signing. She was on loan and now we've signed her permanently. Henson was released. O'Rourke signed a new deal and Jess Gray signed her first professional contract. Mel Johnson signed for a year with the option of a second year, unclear whose favour that is in but you'd assume we would have triggered it immediately if it was in ours.
  • Game against Ipswich Women yesterday at Sparrows Lane. Charlton went 2-0 up but game finished 2-2. A Charlton player was injured which caused a long delay. From the Ipswich website.
  • Here are the home fixtures for the coming season (2pm Sunday unless otherwise noted):

27 Aug Sheffield United (3pm) 
    10 Sep Watford
    8 Oct Durham
    22 Oct Crystal Palace
    19 Nov Sunderland
    21 Jan Blackburn Rovers
    4 Feb Lewes
    18 Feb Reading
    24 Mar London City Lionesses
    31 Mar Birmingham City
    28 Apr Southampton

The Sheffield game is due to be at The Valley. The Durham and Sunderland games are shown as 2pm but are usually at noon to make travel easier - check nearer the time.
  • edited July 2023
    And here are the away games, with venues to the extent we know them. Any club that doesn't play all games at their main stadium is likely to move a game or two during the season. Palace, Blackburn, Watford and Southampton all seem to have moved since last season.

2 Sep Reading, at Reading FC (Saturday, 5.15PM)
    17 Sep Birmingham City, at St Andrews
    1 Oct London City Lionesses, at Dartford FC
    15 Oct Blackburn Rovers, at Lancashire FA, Leyland
    5 Nov Lewes, at the Dripping Pan
    12 Nov Southampton, at AFC Totton
    17 Dec Sheffield United, at Bramall Lane
    28 Jan Crystal Palace, at Sutton United
    3 Mar Watford, at Ruislip Manor Sports & Social Club (Wealdstone FC)
    17 Mar Durham, at Maiden Castle
    21 Apr Sunderland, at Eppleton Colliery Welfare

As above, I'd expect Durham and Sunderland to be likely to kick off early.
  • Original name for a ground, Lewes at the dripping pan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I see Crystal palace at Sutton. They used to play at Bromley. Is this a permanent change? 
  • redman said:
    I see Crystal palace at Sutton. They used to play at Bromley. Is this a permanent change? 
    Yes. Not sure if it's a bluff or a serious move, but they say it's because the WSL doesn't allow artificial pitches.
    https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/crystal-palace-women-new-home-sutton-vbs-community-stadium/
  • Mel Johnson and Freda Ayisi resigning is good news.
  • redman said:
    I see Crystal palace at Sutton. They used to play at Bromley. Is this a permanent change? 
    Yes. Not sure if it's a bluff or a serious move, but they say it's because the WSL doesn't allow artificial pitches.
    https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/crystal-palace-women-new-home-sutton-vbs-community-stadium/
    Charlton Women played a cup game there last season. It's a nice ground with a good bar.
  • Signed Kayleigh Green. That's now two signings who are 34 and 35. Evidently going for experience in depth roles but I hope we can pick up some new first teamers soon. Need a CB (hopefully N'Dow) and a LB as well as another winger at least. A bit of extra quality in the middle would be nice too
  • I hink a pit of power here and there was missing last season.
  • And here are the away games, with venues to the extent we know them. Any club that doesn't play all games at their main stadium is likely to move a game or two during the season. Palace, Blackburn, Watford and Southampton all seem to have moved since last season.

12 Nov Southampton, at AFC Totton

As above, I'd expect Durham and Sunderland to be likely to kick off early.
    Correction: the FA had duff information about Southampton's plans - they haven't moved back to AFC Totton, other than keeping it available as a backup if St Mary's isn't available. I've never seen Charlton play at St Mary's so that one's going straight into the diary.

12 Nov Southampton, at St Mary's
  • Signed Kayleigh Green. That's now two signings who are 34 and 35. Evidently going for experience in depth roles but I hope we can pick up some new first teamers soon. Need a CB (hopefully N'Dow) and a LB as well as another winger at least. A bit of extra quality in the middle would be nice too
    Well, I'm happy.
  • Is there any chance an admin could amend the title to say 2023-24 fixtures (p56)?
  • Poppy Soper has been loaned to Ipswich for the season but can be recalled if necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Freya Godfrey has signed on loan from Arsenal for the season. Top young player with great potential 
  • Don't understand why the Charlton website is ignoring the women's team.

It would be great to know who played for us today.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/women/news/2023/july/women-vs-charlton-pre-season/
  • Crusty54 said:
    Don't understand why the Charlton website is ignoring the women's team.

Oxford have been playing a string of friendlies against championship clubs, all behind closed doors, I think mainly at their training ground although they haven't been advertising that. I don't understand why we don't at least admit the games are happening, even if fans can't attend, but if I remember right it was much the same last season, all kept very quiet.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Don't understand why the Charlton website is ignoring the women's team.

Oxford have been playing a string of friendlies against championship clubs, all behind closed doors, I think mainly at their training ground although they haven't been advertising that. I don't understand why we don't at least admit the games are happening, even if fans can't attend, but if I remember right it was much the same last season, all kept very quiet.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/report-oxford-united-0-charlton-3-pre-season-friendly
  • Reporting team taking Sunday off? 
  • Still no confirmation that last season's captain Emily Simpkins has left the club.
  • According to the MK Dons website the game on Sunday 6th is at Fairfields Sports Hub, MK11 4BA. For their home friendly against Moneyfields they charged £3 adults, £1 concessions. It's a noon kickoff.
  • I have a season ticket and when bought was told I could/would get 4 free Womens tickets this season. The first game is on sale but no mention of free ticket being available - how will this work ?  Doesn't give you option at Basket ?  I will go to most and pay anyway but would like my perk too.