Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Second division play-off winners, 1987

Did Charlton win the "second division play-off" in 1987? Or was it the "First division play-off"?

Seeing as Charlton didn't play a second division game in the 1986-87 season and the play-off was to decide which team played the following season in the first division, it seems wrong to call it the "second division play-off". Unless, of course, when Katy ordered the new look tunnel at The Valley, she was thinking that the play-off prize of a place in the second division went to the losers, and we failed to gain it.

So, what was it? The second division play-off? Or the first division play-off? Because I know which sounds better.

Comments

• Chizz said:

Did Charlton win the "second division play-off" in 1987? Or was it the "First division play-off"?

Seeing as Charlton didn't play a second division game in the 1986-87 season and the play-off was to decide which team played the following season in the first division, it seems wrong to call it the "second division play-off". Unless, of course, when Katy ordered the new look tunnel at The Valley, she was thinking that the play-off prize of a place in the second division went to the losers, and we failed to gain it.

So, what was it? The second division play-off? Or the first division play-off? Because I know which sounds better.

That deserves a flag!
  • edited January 2018

Chizz said:

That deserves a flag!
    Why @SoundAsa£?
  • It's correct. But is it right?

Is it the only time a football club has won a competition without competing in that competition?
  • The commentator says it at the start of the (very poor quality) video tape. Its the first division play off.
  • edited January 2018

The commentator says it at the start of the (very poor quality) video tape. Its the first division play off.

He's wrong - it is definitely the Second Division Play-off. At the end of the season we were neither in the First division or the Second division, we were in limbo - the regular season was over. The winner of the game won a place in the following season's First Division, the loser would play in the Second Division - that is the same as the Championship Play-off Final now but it isn't called the Premier League Play-off Final!
  • bobmunro said:

The commentator says it at the start of the (very poor quality) video tape. Its the first division play off.

He's wrong - it is definitely the Second Division Play-off. At the end of the season we were neither in the First division or the Second division, we were in limbo - the regular season was over. The winner of the game won a place in the following season's First Division, the loser would play in the Second Division - that is the same as the Championship Play-off Final now but it isn't called the Premier League Play-off Final!
    Yes, but that game is being played between 2 teams that are in the Championship & fighting for a place in the Premier League. In 1987 the game was between a team in the top league playing a team in the 2nd league.

I fear that there isn't really an answer.

• Great footage on that tape....I was listening on via radio, and it seemed a lot more tense.
  • Enjoyed watching that. We deserved the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a match , I felt sick all the way through it with nerves and the euphoric feeling of winning and beating them to survive in the top flight (when who knows what may have been if we’d been relegated that early on in our nomadic existence) has never been equalled .
    1998 was tiring and stressful but they felt happier times being at our spiritual home even if in the league below .
  • edited January 2018
    I've always thought of it as the "first and second division play off final"

As for the kit, I'd be over the moon to have an identical one next year.
  • What a match , I felt sick all the way through it with nerves and the euphoric feeling of winning and beating them to survive in the top flight (when who knows what may have been if we’d been relegated that early on in our nomadic existence) has never been equalled .
    1998 was tiring and stressful but they felt happier times being at our spiritual home even if in the league below .

Without this victory I do not believe we would have seen the premiership years.

Lennie Lawrence is a legend. I would eat the man's poo.
  • edited January 2018
    So do what do Leeds have on their walls, 1987 second division play off runners up?
  • buckshee said:

I've always thought of it as the "first and second division play off final"

As for the kit, I'd be over the moon to have an identical one next year.

That is a really nice kit I have to say.
  • So do what do Leeds have on their walls, 1987 second division play off runners up?

No "We are the champions, champions of Europe", over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
  • proper adidas kit that one

remember that Friday night well, singing at Watford Gap services on the way home
  • edited January 2018
    Ive looked at this carefully, and after weighing up the options, in my opinion, who the hell really gives a monkies, theres far more important things to worry about like why is it I can never find a pair of matching socks.
  • Ask Peter Burrowes