Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Problem with sky Q

Hope someone may be able to help with Sky Q problem . Having problems with programmes recorded, very often show as recorded but with error message of ‘recording interrupted software issue’. When watching it gets stuck, sometimes restarts, others you need to fast forward. Some programmes shown as recorded all you get is blank blue screen. When watching live the picture occasionally pixelated. When recording the red light indicator does not show even though programme is recorded. Have tried turning completely off/ on as suggested but has made no difference. Have sent messenger message as suggested but no response. Try ringing but give up after ridiculous long wait. Been going on for couple of weeks and reaching end of tether and just wondered if anyone else has had this or has any suggestions. Sorry for the ramble.

Comments

• Options
    Have you got the MySky App ? There is a chat version of help which although isn’t perfect it’s helped me a couple of times. You do get the right help even if it takes a day to do so.
  • Options
    Basic idea but have you tried turning off the Sky Q box at the mains, leave it for 5 minutes and then turn on again which will reboot it
  • Options
    Tried a software update?
  • Options
    What percentage of the disk have you used. My experience is that once disk is above 60-70% full these kind of problems start happening.
  • Options
    I'm currently having all sorts of problems with Sky Q at home.

We've got our main box in the living room and two mini boxes downstairs, both are only 5-6m from the sky hub, which is connected to our Virgin router by ethernet. Its getting to the point now where the two mini boxes keep disconnecting from the network every 2-3 days and its driving me bonkers.

The Sky engineer also installed another hub in our hallway to ensure the box in our furthest box had a signal, but they both go down time and time again.

Any sensible suggestions to how I can fix it?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I'm currently having all sorts of problems with Sky Q at home.

We've got our main box in the living room and two mini boxes downstairs, both are only 5-6m from the sky hub, which is connected to our Virgin router by ethernet. Its getting to the point now where the two mini boxes keep disconnecting from the network every 2-3 days and its driving me bonkers.

The Sky engineer also installed another hub in our hallway to ensure the box in our furthest box had a signal, but they both go down time and time again.

Any sensible suggestions to how I can fix it?

You just had to go and spoil it and ask for sensible ones.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think it could be due to the connection with the broadband, we have just got installed and a couple of times (we have only had a it a week) it has literally frozen for 15 seconds or so like its bad signal.

We cant get BT sport in the main room we would watch it, tried even from another room and recording it and using the continue to watch in another room but says may take a few minutes to load and doesn't do anything. Bit if a nightmare at the mo as i had in my room (i live in an annix btw) so when they updated to Q mine had something that needed to be done so i have been left with my sky but no channels bar freeview until they come back out and get sky Q installed.

Not a good start for Q, i have used a bit in the main house but even in one of the TV rooms the picture is very bad quality eg. snooker cant see the scores properly blurred, same with football and the scores/time.
  • Options
    Have you tried something like TP Link devices? If it is your wifi signal that causing it then these devices plug into your wall and send the wifi signal through the electrical wiring. Then you connect your hub/router in the other rooms to the TP link that is in that room which then acts as a new hub. (I hope I make sense)

We couldn't get the wifi in our bedroom and we were recommended these and they work a treat. We now get a full signal.
  • Options
    The annoying thing is, we've got a perfect good wifi network in the house but the Sky engineer said we couldnt use it for Sky Q, so they stick their bloody hubs everywhere and create a new one but its crap.
  • Options
    The engineer is right as Sky Q creates its own meshed network. Sky Q has to run on a separate VLAN if you want to use your own kit (wired / wireless) otherwise you will get interference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    The annoying thing is, we've got a perfect good wifi network in the house but the Sky engineer said we couldnt use it for Sky Q, so they stick their bloody hubs everywhere and create a new one but its crap.

Revisiting this post.  Fuck Sky Q and fuck their engineers.  Lost count of how many times we've had the engineers out but Sky Q is not fit for purpose using their shitty network booster boxes.

The engineer(s) told me again and again that it was a necessity to have two boosters boxes between my router and main Q box to communicate with the 3 mini boxes in the house.  Wife told me not to tamper, I got the hump time and time again and rather than cause an argument I reluctantly accepted it.  Thankfully the network connection settled down and all was well.  Until Monday.  Next door neighbours had called Sky out (why we dont know yet, haven't caught up with them) but since Sky left, our connection to the minibox in the kitchen diner has been next to non existent.  Maybe a coincidence but even so.

So, 48 hours of the wife moaning she had no tv while cooking dinner was enough for her to give me permission to go to work (if I promised not to moan about it!)  I ripped out the sky booster boxes, bollocks to their f'ing sky mesh.  Have now got the main Q box connected to my router via two ethernet switches.  The kitchen diner mini box is connected by ethernet to my Linksys Velop mesh node and guess what?  it works fine.  Fuck you Sky and your engineer that said it wasn't possible.  Had to find the service menu to turn the wifi off on the minibox but wasnt too hard.  Just waiting for delivery of an powerline ethernet doo dar and that'll be the other box fixed (fingers crossed, will report back with my findings!

I should have backed myself almost 2 years ago!

• Options
    The biggest prob I have with Sky Q is that if you are recording a programme on a channel ( cricket in my example) and you go onto that channel accidentally while recording it , the recording goes straight to the section you saw on the TV . It’s so bloody annoying 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Revisiting this post.  Fuck Sky Q and fuck their engineers.  Lost count of how many times we've had the engineers out but Sky Q is not fit for purpose using their shitty network booster boxes.

The engineer(s) told me again and again that it was a necessity to have two boosters boxes between my router and main Q box to communicate with the 3 mini boxes in the house.  Wife told me not to tamper, I got the hump time and time again and rather than cause an argument I reluctantly accepted it.  Thankfully the network connection settled down and all was well.  Until Monday.  Next door neighbours had called Sky out (why we dont know yet, haven't caught up with them) but since Sky left, our connection to the minibox in the kitchen diner has been next to non existent.  Maybe a coincidence but even so.

So, 48 hours of the wife moaning she had no tv while cooking dinner was enough for her to give me permission to go to work (if I promised not to moan about it!)  I ripped out the sky booster boxes, bollocks to their f'ing sky mesh.  Have now got the main Q box connected to my router via two ethernet switches.  The kitchen diner mini box is connected by ethernet to my Linksys Velop mesh node and guess what?  it works fine.  Fuck you Sky and your engineer that said it wasn't possible.  Had to find the service menu to turn the wifi off on the minibox but wasnt too hard.  Just waiting for delivery of an powerline ethernet doo dar and that'll be the other box fixed (fingers crossed, will report back with my findings!

How do you do that @JohnBoyUK?
  • Options
    The biggest prob I have with Sky Q is that if you are recording a programme on a channel ( cricket in my example) and you go onto that channel accidentally while recording it , the recording goes straight to the section you saw on the TV . It’s so bloody annoying 
    It’s hardly a big issue though is it. When you go to watch the recording you just need to select ‘Play From Start’ (or similar) - I think it’s the second option down?!?
  • Options
    Have Sky broadband and previously Talk Talk with Sky Q with one mini box. No problems whatsoever. 
  • Options
    Have Sky broadband and previously Talk Talk with Sky Q with one mini box. No problems whatsoever. 
    Whats your home like?  Big?  Small?
    New build?  Old?  How thick are you walls?

With the various conversations I've had with sky engineers over the last 2.5 years or so, our walls are too thick for Sky Qs mesh to cope with.
    I wouldnt mind, in a straight line from router and main Q box, the minibox with the issue is only about 20ft away if that.
    I can connect to my wifi node at the end of my garden, showing what a pile of sh*t the Q mesh is.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

How do you do that @JohnBoyUK?
    Get the main menu up.
    Highlight settings but dont press select.
    Type 001 then select and the menu opens up.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

With the various conversations I've had with sky engineers over the last 2.5 years or so, our walls are too thick for Sky Qs mesh to cope with.
    I wouldnt mind, in a straight line from router and main Q box, the minibox with the issue is only about 20ft away if that.
    I can connect to my wifi node at the end of my garden, showing what a pile of sh*t the Q mesh is.
    Not massive but internal brick walls and sold timber floors. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Not massive but internal brick walls and sold timber floors. 
    Think yourself lucky my friend :)
  • Options
    72hrs later, all 4 mini boxes now on ethernet and not dropped once.

Wifi disabled on all 3 mini boxes and the main box so the myth of need for the Sky Mesh is utterly busted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky sky man told me that it will normally work better on Ethernet if WiFi not particularly good around the house. However they prefer WiFi in view of the wireless aspect of it I.e.less time fitting and also looks better generally without the wiring showing.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    72hrs later, all 4 mini boxes now on ethernet and not dropped once.

Wifi disabled on all 3 mini boxes and the main box so the myth of need for the Sky Mesh is utterly busted.
    A very logical way of doing things, I did a similar job when I bought my present house 10 years ago. My thinking was cables don’t fail but Wi-fi will. I have never used any of cat 5 cabling, the only thing that plugs directly into the BT router is the main Q box. I know distance and maybe walls will  make a difference but I have never had any problems with my BT router.