Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthems

So, speed reading through the Times on the tube this morning and I passed over an article about Canada, I think it mentioned their national anthem, I didn’t actually read it, and it started me off thinking that I probably wouldn’t recognise it for what it represented if I heard it unless somebody announced beforehand it was the Canadian national anthem. Which then made me realise I’d probably only be able to come up with our national anthem, the yank’s, the French and the German one (hopefully the right one anyway).

Obviously Scotland the Brave and Men of Harlech are instantly recognisable and rousing tunes but unless i was watching a rugby match would I realise people were singing the Irish one ?, possibly not.

Clearly shamefully very little Englander of me but as for any other country’s national anthem, are there any good and memorable ones out there ?

Comments

• Options

So, speed reading through the Times on the tube this morning and I passed over an article about Canada, I think it mentioned their national anthem, I didn’t actually read it, and it started me off thinking that I probably wouldn’t recognise it for what it represented if I heard it unless somebody announced beforehand it was the Canadian national anthem. Which then made me realise I’d probably only be able to come up with our national anthem, the yank’s, the French and the German one (hopefully the right one anyway).

Obviously Scotland the Brave and Men of Harlech are instantly recognisable and rousing tunes but unless i was watching a rugby match would I realise people were singing the Irish one ?, possibly not.

Clearly shamefully very little Englander of me but as for any other country’s national anthem, are there any good and memorable ones out there ?

do you mean flower of Scotland?
  • Options
    I don't think Men of Harlech is an anthem, is it?

Surely you'd recognise the Italian and Spanish anthems, and Brazilian? What about the Russian...all are very familiar.
  • Options
    Italy | Spain | Brazil | Russia are really easy to remember

Dont think I could ever forget the Jamaican one... England played them @ Old Trafford prior to one of the World Cup's and remember that going on for almost 10-mins
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Russian. Nothing else comes close and the French
  • Options
    They should put some kind of clue in the opening lyrics as to what the song is about.

O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I don't think Men of Harlech is an anthem, is it?

Surely you'd recognise the Italian and Spanish anthems, and Brazilian? What about the Russian...all are very familiar.

Don't the Welsh fans just sing Men of Harlech as made famous by Zulu?
  • Options
    The video of the guys singing the names of all the Italian squad for the 2014 World Cup, to the tune of their national anthem often pops into my head. Then find myself trying to do an England version.
  • Options
    Australian : This here is the wattle it’s the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.

• Options
    The Welsh one, land of our fathers, is a cracker. God save the Queen is a dirge. Russian one is good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

do you mean flower of Scotland?
    The Opium Poppy? ;)
  • Options
    Land of my fathers is the Welsh anthem.

The Russian anthem is very recognisable.

And I bet everyone on here knows Oben am jungen Rhein, the Liechtenstein National Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWmDbMbDZKk
  • Options
    Ours is good, don’t like Liechtenstein’s though.
  • Options
    Damn you Henry !!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ours is good, don’t like Liechtenstein’s though.

The original USA anthem was also good.

• Options
    French & Italian are pretty good.
  • Options
    Kazakhstan's is good! The Borat version though
  • Options
    Italy is great, really like 'Advance Australia fair', but the best is the South African one.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Italy is great, really like 'Advance Australia fair', but the best is the South African one.

Isn’t the Italian one where each line seems to about a hundred words long and sung so fast that nobody can keep up with it ?

Forgot about advance Australia fair and god defend New Zealand, i’d recognise those, though whether many others would I’m not so sure.

Can’t think of how the south African one goes...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

French & Italian are pretty good.

French anthem at a packed Stade de France is phenomenal
  • Options
    Canadian national anthem isn't recognisable?!
    O Canada is the very first words!!

French, Italian, German all recognisable, ours is painstakingly slow and boring though
  • Options
    There was an urban myth that Taiwan's national Anthem Was Sousa's 'Liberty Bell' - would make a great anthem!

Welsh, Scottish, French and German are all great anthems. The EU's anthem is pretty damn fine as well - tricky to better a tune from Beethoven!! Probably a prime reason for Brexit!

• Options
    God save the queen may be a bit slow...

But on the other hand it's short and easy to sing. How many other anthems get sung by the fans in the way England fans will sing it at the start of the second half?
  • Options

But on the other hand it's short and easy to sing. How many other anthems get sung by the fans in the way England fans will sing it at the start of the second half?

The French do the same, especially at the Stade de France for rugby internationals.
  • Options
    1. Russia
    2. Germany
    3. France

1,683 Great Britain
  • Options
    South Africa of course
  • Options
    as much as i like GSTQ i prefer Jerusalem as a song.
  • Options

but that way you can fit no surrender in