Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the players

edited February 2018 in General Charlton
I recognise Sam Bartram and Stanley Matthews but who are the others and what team is this?

A testimonial game perhaps?

Late 50s I would suggest as Sam looks older.

Another photo from Sam Bartram's private collection of photographs, press cuttings and other memorabilia now held by the museum. We've scanned all the photograph's now.

Comments

• Options
    Dean Kiely back row on the right
  • Options
    Billy Bingham bottom left?
  • Options

Didn't Sam go to Luton for a while? Could be a Luton team.
  • Options
    A Football.
    Bottom row centre.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Chris Solly, middle row at the opposite end to Matthews.
  • Options

I recognise Sam Bartram and Stanley Matthews but who are the others and what team is this?

Another photo from Sam Bartram's private collection of photographs, press cuttings and other memorabilia now held by the museum. We've scanned all the photograph's now.

@blackpool72 on the left with the glasses on.
  • Options

@blackpool72 on the left with the glasses on.
    Ain't you gone to Amsterdam yet
  • Options
    Don't think it is Billy Bingham but I think it might be an Irish side looking at the Ref's blazer badge.
  • Options

Don't think it is Billy Bingham but I think it might be an Irish side looking at the Ref's blazer badge.

The badge is the four nations. So might it be a GB side? Or a forces match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Hope you don't mind me posting this

https://playupliverpool.com/1941/01/08/liverpool-have-bartram-back/

https://playupliverpool.com/1940/01/20/england-v-the-army-international-january-20-1940/

Bartram and Matthews played in the second game but they're not the same shirts as in Sam's photo
    Don Welsh also figures

• Options
    Given that they all look pretty old, could it be the England Over 30s team of 1954. Both Bartram and Matthews were in this match. Does anyone recognise the others: Mozley, L. Smith, Johnston, Leuty, Cockburn, Mannion, Lawton, Shackleton, Langton.

The match was played at Highbury and the shirts do look kind of Arsenalish. The guy standing top right (referee?) has a badge representing the four home nations, could this signify some sort of international flavour to the match, even though it was England v England.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/MatchRsl/MatchRslTmIL.html
  • Options

Stig said:

Given that they all look pretty old, could it be the England Over 30s team of 1954. Both Bartram and Matthews were in this match. Does anyone recognise the others: Mozley, L. Smith, Johnston, Leuty, Cockburn, Mannion, Lawton, Shackleton, Langton.

The match was played at Highbury and the shirts do look kind of Arsenalish. The guy standing top right (referee?) has a badge representing the four home nations, could this signify some sort of international flavour to the match, even though it was England v England.

Fairly sure that Tommy Lawton is not in that photo.
  • Options

Solly middle right.

I'll ask me dad when I see him.

Surely it's Gary Nelson ?
  • Options
    The bloke to the left of Sam Bartam as we view it, has an uncanny resemblance to my sadly deceased father in law.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Middle row on left Stanley Matthews, as you said Henry. I am sure I know player in front of Sam, but sorry cannot remember his name
  • Options
    Scott Minto in front of Bartram
  • Options
    Comparing the names from the over-30s game against football cards from the 1950s, I reckon Len Shackleton could be the player in the middle of the front row with the ball. Wilf Mannion might well be the Chris Solly lookalike on the right of the middle row. Possibly Henry Cockburn top right but hard to tell. Maybe Leon Leuty in front of Sam. Then again, bottom right looks a bit like Billy Liddell and bottom left a little like Tommy Taylor so who knows?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Charles “Charlie” Charles in there anywhere?
  • Options
    Could be completely wrong but how about 1951, England Tour of Australia? Probably not. But the date has got to be early 1950s.

I know they aren’t in the photo, but at first glance, a couple looked like Johnny Summers and John Hewie.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Funny-looking geezer front left is, I think you'll find, Shaun Murphy's grandpa.
  • Options
    J.R. Ewing bottom left
  • Options
    Sage said:

Could be completely wrong but how about 1951, England Tour of Australia? Probably not. But the date has got to be early 1950s.

I know they aren’t in the photo, but at first glance, a couple looked like Johnny Summers and John Hewie.

Definitely not the tour of Australia. We have lots of Sam's photos from that tour.

I think it is a testimonial and after Sam retired. And Hewie was South African while Summers didn't join until after 51.
  • Options

Solly middle right.

Next to Diego Costa
  • Options
    2nd row far right ? Arthur Milton (Gunners)
    Agree billy Bingham bottom left.
    Great picture -thanks
  • Options
    Darren Ferguson next to Bartram

Oh and Charles Hawtrey standing on the left of the photo
  • Options
    Stig said:

The bloke next to Matthews could be Leon Leuty, a centre half who died of leukemia in 1955. His ears and nose and the creases around his mouth look similar. If it is him he played against us in the 46 final.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I can see a likeness, but judging from this Bingham had a longer face and pointier nose.