Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deserter South London Book

Comments

• Options
    Have chipped in.

Quite like Unbound. They were going to push my debut novel but only if I cut its size in half. I didn't do that, but I did appreciate the gesture.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Have chipped in.

Quite like Unbound. They were going to push my debut novel but only if I cut its size in half. I didn't do that, but I did appreciate the gesture.

Only in half? They must have been impressed Leuth :wink:
  • Options
    I know right? Anyway, I wanted to preserve its integrity so I published it myself - made the cover, formatted, the lot. I don't know why I haven't plugged myself more often on here tbh. Maybe it's time. I'll let the good folk of Deserter alone and find my own thread...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Have chipped in.

I have to say that £4 for delivery of a paperback is a bit excessive...

• Options
    Indeed I did.

I'm a stickler for research, Ken. Happy to do a post-Roland revisit!

• Options
    Thanks for posting this...I'd never been on the Deserter site before but have just lost 2 hours of my life this morning reading about North Woolwich and the Ramsgate Wetherspoons haha. Just about to add to the funding, great work guys.
  • Options
    Same here. Excellent reading. I think I need a trip back to explore places I don’t get to visit normally. In all my life it’s never crossed my mind to go to Nunhead until now.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Have chipped in.

Thanks for that, Louis. I appreciate you backing us.

I can understand the temptation to publish yourself, without being edited and all. It's different for Deserter because we edit each other. It can be frustrating, but it often helps to have another pair of eyes on it.

I enjoyed the blurb about your book actually, but there's a lot going on. I have in a mate in a similar situation. He self-published and while some thought it could have done with a stern editor, it was exactly what he wanted it to be. i hope yours is too.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Thanks for posting this...I'd never been on the Deserter site before but have just lost 2 hours of my life this morning reading about North Woolwich and the Ramsgate Wetherspoons haha. Just about to add to the funding, great work guys.

Very kind. Thank you, Dan. It's really heartwarming to hear that.
  • Options

Same here. Excellent reading. I think I need a trip back to explore places I don’t get to visit normally. In all my life it’s never crossed my mind to go to Nunhead until now.

Nunhead is well worth a visit. The Ivy House, the Beer Shop and Skehan's are fantastic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great site. inspired me on several afternoon sessions when really I should be working. Due to that fact I will eventually get round to sending some money but I need to get some first. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Any more for any more? We've hit 70% funded now, which is pretty fantastic after just over 2 weeks.

We've had a brilliant response from Lifers - thank you all so much. It's also been great to see a couple of South London pubs get behind it (including someone from the White Swan) as the book will feature well over a hundred South London pubs, micropubs, taprooms and bars. We've been bigging them up for years, but it'll be fab to see them in print, in bookshops. Cheers, all.

https://unbound.com/books/deserter/
  • Options

Just ordered two copies. Glad the sales are going well.
  • Options

Just ordered two copies. Glad the sales are going well.

Great - thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Just ordered mine, so I thought this needed a bump.
  • Options
    @Vincenzo is there anything in the book about #cafc that would justify the museum buying a copy?
  • Options

@Vincenzo is there anything in the book about #cafc that would justify the museum buying a copy?

Nothing springs to mind, Henners, other than something on where to go for a pint before the game. And even that will include all South London clubs, unfortunately.

CAFC also get a mention in a section on Woolwich Arsenal FC too. It was claimed at the time they had to move because they couldn't get a big enough crowd to South east London. I was at pains to point out that The Valley saw bigger crowds than Highbury ever did or the Emirates ever will.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who pledged for our book. We have reached 100% funding now. If anyone still wants to be involved they're still welcome to but the important thing is we know the book is going to happen now and should be out in late summer. Just got to write the flippin' thing now.

Many thanks to so many Lifers who backed us.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    My copy has arrived in the post, thanks @Vincenzo ... cant wait to start reading. The contents look brilliant.. i might head straight to "Thirsty in Kidbrooke"...

I give up!
  • Options
    Oh FFS... having a mare. Goes back to edit post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Please bear with me.. one of the many funders!

• Options
    When have you ever been thirsty in kidbrooke?
  • Options
    Got mine, but read most of it via the download. Really enjoying it.
    (also a funder)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

My copy has arrived in the post, thanks @Vincenzo ... cant wait to start reading. The contents look brilliant.. i might head straight to "Thirsty in Kidbrooke"...

I give up!

Glad to hear it. Thanks for backing it, Curb_it.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Lovely cover, if I may say so!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Got mine, but read most of it via the download. Really enjoying it.
    (also a funder)

Great. Glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for backing it, Hans.
  • Options
    Mine arrived yesterday. On page 74 already. Loved the trip round Thamesmead.

Page 75 covers Charlton cemetery but I'm saving that delight until after breakfast.
  • Options
    Not had mine or any communication about it