Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Health tip for anyone over 70.

edited February 2018 in Not Sports Related
At age 70 and above you are entitled to a free NHS shingles injection.
This would normally cost in the region of £100!
It’s a one off injection by the way.

Comments

• Options

@blackpool72 FYI.....

Oi.watch it Otto
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Good shout @SoundAsa£ prevention is the best cure. My father had a nasty bout of it in his late 60's through his scalp, forehead and face which caused some minor scarring on one of his retina and sadly it is a disease that has been known to take life. It is the same virus as Chicken Pox which if you've had that can flare up again as Shingles in later life. Fortunately Dad survived and his eyesight was not seriously damaged.
  • Options

Good info - many thanks for the word!!
  • Options
    When I got to 60 I was both delighted and appalled in equal measure to find I now got free prescriptions. Nice, but confirmation of old git status is a shock.
  • Options
    Just off to GP to see if I have it for a second time, wish they would drop the age limit to over 40’s!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the info, not 70 yet but it’s not a million miles away.

Heard the term Shingles a lot, don’t know what it is or how you get it, is it common in older people?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Heard the term Shingles a lot, don’t know what it is or how you get it, is it common in older people?
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shingles/
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shingles/
    Fuck I’ve got it!

Nargh not really, thanks for the info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had shingles once, about 30 years ago in the Philippines triggered by eating some dodgy prawns. Completely ruined my holiday and felt rough for a couple of weeks or so.
    In the elderly symptoms can be far more serious, as mentioned by RedChaser above.
    Eating prawns (dodgy ones that is), is by all accounts one of the more common ways of triggering an attack.
  • Options
    Good info SoundAsa£. Thanks for that. Another one worth considering is the pneumonia vacination, offered free to over 65's.
  • Options

Good info SoundAsa£. Thanks for that. Another one worth considering is the pneumonia vacination, offered free to over 65's.

You also get in to Charlton cheaper at 65, its Daisy's wish you should be looked after. ;)
  • Options
    Just got a letter about Bowel Cancer screening, done it a couple of years ago and no issues, didn't know they do it every two years.

It's a bit fiddly getting your poo on the card but worth it.

• Options
    Iaitch, i used to field in the slips, that helped no end :-)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

You also get in to Charlton cheaper at 65, its Daisy's wish you should be looked after. ;)
    It WAS Daisy’s wish TCE.
  • Options
    Didn't Daisy put that concession up from 60 to 65?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Changes to age-related concessions and benefits are always made by people too young to need them.

• Options
    iaitch said:

Yes she did. There was an allowance for those that already benefitted from the age 60 concession - that they could keep it...New age 60'ers have to wait until 65.
  • Options
    don't forget over 75 to apply for your FREE TV licence
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:

iaitch said:

Yes she did. There was an allowance for those that already benefitted from the age 60 concession - that they could keep it...New age 60'ers have to wait until 65.
    I was 59 at the time and thought whoopee a cheap ST next season then it went up to 65, oh well another 3 years and I'll get it unless it goes up again.

You can get an over 60 concession at Jockey Club Racecourses, only at the gate on the day.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

cafc-west said:

iaitch said:

I was 59 at the time and thought whoopee a cheap ST next season then it went up to 65, oh well another 3 years and I'll get it unless it goes up again.

You can get an over 60 concession at Jockey Club Racecourses, only at the gate on the day.
    I can vouch for that being the oldest of a group of 4 mates and thus the only one who qualified at the time.

Took the predictable 'are there concessions for his carers' stick but all added to the betting fund and for once in my life my winnings covered the cost of the day (including food, drink and travel) so effectively a free day out.
  • Options
    I had shingles a few years ago, the pain was indescribable - can really see how this would be life threatening in older people.
  • Options
    Also had besides shingles, flu jab every year, Pneumonia, every 5 years
  • Options
    A mate of mine (mid 40's) caught shingles last January, after complications and 4 months off work, he finally got back to feeling ok in about October.
  • Options

A mate of mine (mid 40's) caught shingles last January, after complications and 4 months off work, he finally got back to feeling ok in about October.

There you go then.....all the more reason to take this nasty illness much more seriously.