Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greatest XI in your lifetime (Not CAFC)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Schmeichel

Thuram, Stam, Baresi, Maldini

Zidane, Vieira, Xavi

Messi, Ronaldo, C Ronaldo
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Banks
    Cohen, Moore, Charlton (J), Wilson
    Stiles, Ball, Charlton (R), Peters
    Hurst, Hunt

:smiley:

Seriously:

Schmeichel
    Thuram, Moore, Canavaro, Maldini
    Messi, Maradona, Keane, Best
    Pele, Ronaldo (goofy)

Bench: Banks, Carlos, Ronaldo (C), Cruyff, Muller (G)

Not necessarily the best 11 players in my lifetime but I've tried to go for balance. The bench is pretty strong as well and covers defensive injuries (Keane can play CH and so can Maldini, with another full back on the bench). Might be a question raised over Keane but aside from being an arsehole he was for me the best holding midfielder in my lifetime (close with Viera).

I think even I could manage that team to world domination!!

Agree totally with your first team Bod, disagree on the goalkeeper of the second would put Banks in rather than schmeichel, we must be of a similar age?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Banks
    Hurst, Hunt

Seriously:

Schmeichel
    Pele, Ronaldo (goofy)

Not necessarily the best 11 players in my lifetime but I've tried to go for balance. The bench is pretty strong as well and covers defensive injuries (Keane can play CH and so can Maldini, with another full back on the bench). Might be a question raised over Keane but aside from being an arsehole he was for me the best holding midfielder in my lifetime (close with Viera).

Agree totally with your first team Bod, disagree on the goalkeeper of the second would put Banks in rather than schmeichel, we must be of a similar age?
    Yes we must be. One of the few benefits of being a certain age is remembering when we were world champions! That and being able to name the Brazil 1970 side (the greatest national side ever) and seeing the peerless Georgie weaving his magic.
  • Options

Riviera said:

This is the best team I ever saw live

Schmeichel
    Parker
    Irwin
    Ince
    Bruce
    Pallister
    Cantona
    Keane
    Hughes
    Kanchelskis
    Giggs

It was at Old Trafford 1994 FA Cup 1/4 Final, couldn't name the full away team without looking it up!

Memories of the days when teams played their best XIs during the FA Cup, though of course they played the second half with Les Sealey in goal and no Paul Parker.

As for a best world XI, I just can't do it. How to choose between both Ronaldos, Pele, Best Cruyff, Messi, Gullit, Zidane Eusebio etc - and Gerd Mueller, Marco Van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp haven't even got a look-in in the teams picked so far.
    Der Bomber made my bench!

• Options

Not bad, a few alterations...

Banks

Carlos Alberto Lilian Thuram Beckenbauer Lahm

Iniesta Zidane Cruyff

Maradona Pele Ronaldo

Who needs to defend with that side?
    Indeed.

• Options
    A very attacking side but good luck trying to stop it!

Neuer
    Cafu
    Desailly
    Koeman
    Lizarazu
    Henry
    Platini
    Cristiano Ronaldo or George Best can't decide!
    Zidane
    Messi
    Pele
  • Options
    The Hungary of Puskas, the Brazil of Pele. Cuaco versus Ibis when I scored 6 goals !
  • Options
    a complete side note does anyone else think George Best looks a hell of a lot like Tony Watt??
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yashin
    Cafu
    Maldini
    Bozsik
    Beckenbauer
    D.Edwards
    Finney
    Eusebio
    J.Charles
    Puskas
    Henry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

a complete side note does anyone else think George Best looks a hell of a lot like Tony Watt??

He's been dead a while so if so Tony is looking even worse than normal.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Schmeichel
    Lahm Nesta Puyol Maldini

Makelele
    Zidane Ineista

Messi Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Buffon
    Cole
    Cannavaro
    Keane
    Lampard
    Ronaldinho
    Henry

Mines basically this. Might have Cannavaro instead of Puyol.
    Haha great minds, I had Cannavaro in but changed to Puyol at last minute. 33 Years young.
  • Options
    Keller
    Cunningham
    Dawes
    Cooper
    Ruddock
    Carter
    Cahill
    Rae
    Reid
    Sheringham
    Harris
  • Options

He's been dead a while so if so Tony is looking even worse than normal.
    I reckon George Best would still put a better shift in, could he hold it in the corner for 3 mins against a mediocre Championship team though?
  • Options

Keller
    Cunningham
    Dawes
    Cooper
    Ruddock
    Carter
    Cahill
    Rae
    Reid
    Sheringham
    Harris

With Holloway as manager :smile:
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Banks
    Hurst, Hunt

Seriously:

Schmeichel
    Pele, Ronaldo (goofy)

Yes we must be. One of the few benefits of being a certain age is remembering when we were world champions! That and being able to name the Brazil 1970 side (the greatest national side ever) and seeing the peerless Georgie weaving his magic.
    Not old enough to put them in mine, but from what I’ve seen of them and from my knowledge, Pele & Best are easily in the greatest XI of all time
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    USA 94 is my earliest footballing memory outside of Charlton so will go from then onwards.

Buffon

Cafu
    Puyol
    Hierro
    Roberto Carlos

Vieira
    Zidane

C. Ronaldo
    Messi

Ronaldo
    Henry

Manager: M. Appleton

• Options
    The West Indies cricket team
  • Options
    Banks
    Carlos Alberto Moore Baresi Maldini
    Beckenbauer
    Best Platini Matthews
    Puskas Pele

Bench: Yashin C Ronaldo Maradona Cruyf Ronaldo Messi Eusebio

We might concede the odd goal but in the true spirit of Charlton of the ‘70s, we don’t care as we’re going to score more than you.
  • Options

Anyone that doesn't have C. Ronaldo and Messi should not be allowed to have an opinion

One mans meat is someone else's poison.
    Did you see George Best, Pele or Maradonna play ? Lol
    Maradona will always be my poison.
    Best and pele on the other hand
    The size Maradona got to, him on one hand would balance Best and Pele on the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gone for more of a balanced side rather than the attack heavy sides i could've named.

Buffon
    Cafu Baresi Desailly Maldini
    Keane Xavi
    Messi Maradona C.Ronaldo
    Ronaldo

Subs: Schmeichel, Bergomi, Roberto Carlos, Iniesta, Vieira, Zidane, Van Basten

Even with that i've got no room for the likes of Casillas, Ferdinand, Zanetti, Gullit, Matthaus, Scholes, Romario, Ronaldinho, Henry etc.
  • Options
    Assuming nobody saw Neville Southall in his prime. Hands down the best keeper of the last 30/35 years.
  • Options

Assuming nobody saw Neville Southall in his prime. Hands down the best keeper of the last 30/35 years.

I thought it was Keller :wink:
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Don't doubt this has been done before, but a little light lunchtime thread for you to give us the greatest XI of your lifetime (not charlton, although you are welcome to include Christoph LePoint if you want)

Schmeicheal

Cafu/Thuram Maldini Desailly Roberto Carlos

Ronaldo Gazza Zidane

Messi Bergkamp Cantona

Absolutely no balance and I couldn't decide which of Cafu or Thuram gets the nod at RB.

My era was early 90s onwards

You must’ve been born roughly same year as me because I wouldn’t change that team much, but I’d have to stick Henry in for Cantona and Giggs for Gazza with Zidane switching to the middle. And not such a popular choice but Terry for Desailly.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I thought it was Keller :wink:
    Odd choice considering you're a Charlton fan :wink:
  • Options
    "My era"

Im going to only include players that I have seen play football with my very own eyes and not give someone a position due to them just being a name.

David De Gea

Kyle walker, Vidic, Jam stam, Ashley Cole

Pirlo, Zidane
    Scholes

Messi, Henry, C. Ronaldo

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Dave2l said:

Jam stam

Made my day, that has :smiley:
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Jam stam

Made my day, that has :smiley:
    I'd like to pretend it was a typo of intent.

It was that I infact mispronounced his name.

Jam Stam, is infact japp stam. Or is it jap stam?
  • Options

He's no Steve Brown