Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying a holiday place in Spain

Comments

• Options

Essex_Al said:

I have a property in Cabo Roig, 10 minutes south of Torrievieja and 45 minutes from Alicante. PM me if you have any questions.

It is a good time to buy at the moment as property prices have been gradually on the rise and predictions are that they will get back to the levels of 10 years ago before the market crash in Spain in the next couple of years.

Get yourself a recommended English speaking solicitor!

That strip is like a mini Benidorm.
    Had a good "golfing" do there last October.
    There was a few who ended up walking over the bridge of shame.
    Did anyone get knocked out by a fire door though?

;)
    No, but there was an incident with some Scottish supporters following the disappointment of dropping out of Euro 2018.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Get yourself a recommended English speaking solicitor!

This is the best bit of advice on this thread yet.

My Dad bought a place in Spain to retire to and this was the most important piece of advice given to him!

Plenty of horror stories of non-Sapnish speaking buyers getting ripped off, lied to and in some cases losing everything.

• Options

Was in Mojacar (amongst other places) last September, lovely old town as well as a beach resort close by.....from there we drove up to Trevelez and Pitres in the Alpujarras mountains...lovely part of the world.

Agree with Mojacar. very nice place.
  • Options
    Mojacar is another good shout. Nice old town and slightly upmarket resort, only 25 mins drive from Almeria airport. Don't know what sort of property you are after but a decent 2 bed 2 bath apartment 1/2mile from beach would be under 100,000 euros (remember to allow about 12-15pct for tax/legal costs).
    Vera slightly up the coast from Mojacar is cheaper and you can get your kit off on the beach ...
    Many companies do furniture packs for empty apartments, everything you need to furnish all sorts of properties starting from about 4500 euros for 2 bed apartment delivered and fitted (curtain rails etc.)
    also many resales come with existing furniture, mostly tat, which can be left outside for rubbish collection
    which can be daily. Probably best value property is down Torreviecha way where a lots of Northern expats live.
    150,000 euros goes quite a long way there but wouldn't be my choice.
  • Options
    Currently at my mum's place in Fuerteventura. Not considered the Canaries? Generally better than mainly Spain - not suite as baking hot in the summer and not as subject to price variation either.

Personally, it's like a windy version of the surface of Mars to me, but loads of expats here (Corralejo) love it
  • Options

Currently at my mum's place in Fuerteventura. Not considered the Canaries? Generally better than mainly Spain - not suite as baking hot in the summer and not as subject to price variation either.

Personally, it's like a windy version of the surface of Mars to me, but loads of expats here (Corralejo) love it

We were in Playa Blanca (Lanzarote) last December, thought the property prices in general looked more expensive then the areas we were in earlier in the year in Spain (Murcia, Almeria & Granada).....Lanzarote was pretty 'breezy' too....though quite pleasent for December with max day temps around 22-25c.
  • Options
    It's 14 degrees, pissing down and 40mph winds here and has been most of this week. Every time I come here she says 'it's bad luck, the weather is usually great'. I've been six times and it's been shit every time. :lol:
  • Options

It's 14 degrees, pissing down and 40mph winds here and has been most of this week. Every time I come here she says 'it's bad luck, the weather is usually great'. I've been six times and it's been shit every time. :lol:

I stopped going to the cannaries in January and February about seven years ago for exactly this reason.
    Been to Egypt the past five years in February and the weather has been great every time.
  • Options

This is going to sound so utterly negative, I apologise in advance.

If you don't know exactly where you want to be living - and the way you have worded the original post, it appears that way - then buying is a massive step in the dark. If you are going to an area where you already know and trust local people, and you have always fancied living, then you should be able to get honest advice from friends, and maybe already have a little local knowledge of your own that will stand you in good stead. If you are just turning up with a pocket full of cash and a pipe dream, you are open to all kinds of folk with only their own self interest at heart. No matter how street wise you think you are, it's easy to be sucked in. People I know who have had places in Spain (and until recently, in Portugal) have had some big negative equity issues. With the B word hanging over us, as others say, I don't see that improving any time soon.

Also, the area you choose might turn out not to be what you expected at all. If you find after a year or two that it's not what you wanted, and there's no gain in equity, then you have the 13% costs that bobmunro mentions to find all over again if you want to move to another place in Spain.

We have friends with property that they have owned here in Portugal for over 30 years. I don't know the exact figure, but if they had invested their money in UK property, they could have bought three places here with what they could sell their UK property for now.

If we still had our property in London, we could now be renting it out, paying rent here on a decent place and be sticking £600 away every month on top.

Of course no-one has a crystal ball, house prices in the UK could go tits-up and property in Spain go through the roof, but one can only go on past performance...

My three top recommendations are:

1) Rent first.
    2) When you do buy, get an independent, English speaking solicitor who has been recommended by people who have been there and done it, to look after your interests.
    3) Get somewhere south facing (our biggest mistake!).

I appreciate the advice and don't see it is negative. I am not just buying on a whim! I am actually not planning on buying until next year and am at the start of a very thorough fact finding mission! The reason I asked for suggestions of places is so we have a few ideas to start with. We will still have 2 UK properties as would not want to lose a foothold on the UK market. One in Berkshire we'd be living in and a new build in Greenwich we'll rent out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mojacar is another good shout. Nice old town and slightly upmarket resort, only 25 mins drive from Almeria airport. Don't know what sort of property you are after but a decent 2 bed 2 bath apartment 1/2mile from beach would be under 100,000 euros (remember to allow about 12-15pct for tax/legal costs).
    Vera slightly up the coast from Mojacar is cheaper and you can get your kit off on the beach ...
    Many companies do furniture packs for empty apartments, everything you need to furnish all sorts of properties starting from about 4500 euros for 2 bed apartment delivered and fitted (curtain rails etc.)
    also many resales come with existing furniture, mostly tat, which can be left outside for rubbish collection
    which can be daily. Probably best value property is down Torreviecha way where a lots of Northern expats live.
    150,000 euros goes quite a long way there but wouldn't be my choice.

Background about getting your kit off (or not!) and Northern expats very useful, thanks!
  • Options
    Like all opinions, I suppose this is personal. But I'd give Torreveija a swerve. My best friend bought a place in a burb of Torreveija called El Chaparral two years ago and is living out there. I really, really, don't like the town at all. It's hugely built up and has little to commend it apart from the cheap cost of living. (Unless you like the idea of having east European prostitutes loitering around many of the roundabouts.)

Somewhere like Calpe, just seems to have a generally nicer "feel" to it. The beach is also a scenic delight with the Peñon d'Ifach providing a perfect backdrop. If I was looking for a property in that area that's were I'd start.
  • Options
    Thanks. My initial thoughts on Torreveija have been confirmed so that isn't going on the list! Your description of Calpe sounds just what we are after so will go on the list along with others mentioned earlier. We pretty much know what sort of property just need to do the leg work!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Like all opinions, I suppose this is personal. But I'd give Torreveija a swerve. My best friend bought a place in a burb of Torreveija called El Chaparral two years ago and is living out there. I really, really, don't like the town at all. It's hugely built up and has little to commend it apart from the cheap cost of living. (Unless you like the idea of having east European prostitutes loitering around many of the roundabouts.)

Somewhere like Calpe, just seems to have a generally nicer "feel" to it. The beach is also a scenic delight with the Peñon d'Ifach providing a perfect backdrop. If I was looking for a property in that area that's were I'd start.

If your mate likes it, that's what matters. Hence my suggestion of try before you buy. He might find the brasses quite convenient... :wink:
  • Options
    Din’t. Go Portugal
  • Options

Thanks. My initial thoughts on Torreveija have been confirmed so that isn't going on the list! Your description of Calpe sounds just what we are after so will go on the list along with others mentioned earlier. We pretty much know what sort of property just need to do the leg work!

I went to Torrevieja last year looking at apartments to buy as there seem to be hundreds available at very good prices. Didn't like the place at all and some of the property 'estates' just outside of town look soul destroying. My favourite area (and where I would buy if I decided to look again) would be Fuengirola. Further south so warmer for longer and you can fly into Malaga with lots of different airlines and there is an excellent train line into Fuengirola and Torremolinos (another great town - completely revamped since the kiss-me-quick days). Bit more expensive and less property available. Town is a nice mix of old style tapas restaurants/shops and a more touristy seafront.
  • Options
    'Town is a nice mix of old style tapas restaurants/shops and a more touristy seafront' - sounds about right for a holiday place. If we do decide to move more permanently at a later stage we'd move to somewhere quieter, less touristy. Still keeping a place, albeit smaller, in the UK.

Good to know Torremolinos has been re-vamped as wasn't aware and still had it is the kiss-me-quick days! A lot to learn but time to do it - this is why I'm fact finding now
  • Options
    My friends have moved to the Port of Duquesa which is near Gibraltar. Bought there after a year. Very expatty. All the restaurants round the Port seemed to be Indian/Chinese and not much in the way of Tapas. It definitely has other more authentic sections. We walked up to the next town Sabinillas which was lovely. Near Gib airport, a longer drive for Malaga.

We stayed near Estepona last year also. That is lovely but can imagine being much more expensive.

My sister is getting married in La Cala in May so spending a bit more time there again. Not been there yet.
  • Options
    Port of Duquesa sounds unlike what we're looking for Curb_It! I've started learning Spanish but not long started my second term
  • Options
    edited February 2018

cafcfan said:

If your mate likes it, that's what matters. Hence my suggestion of try before you buy. He might find the brasses quite convenient... :wink:
    Yeah sure. He's happy enough. He's not driving but cycling everywhere and regular day-to-day stuff is within easy reach. Also, he is reliant on the (UK) state pension alone and his place only cost €34k, so the very reasonable cost of living is ideal. As for the roundabout girls, he claims the medication he's on precludes that sort of behaviour!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a place in Spain and love it.
    Is often good to have ex pats as many things go wrong and need repairing eg air con, plumbing etc
    Not negative just advice. Lovely weather so cost of living lower. But they live finding new taxes for us!
    Electricity is very expensive.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The area around Denia in Alicante province is a good choice. I know people who have places in the La Sella development and it is very nice, though possibly a bit more self-contained than I would want. A town further down on the coast I really like is Aguilas in Murcia. A lively town with virtually all Spanish tourists and Spanish people who have their holiday home there. Mazarron is also close to that and it has a bit more of an expat demographic.

Good luck with the Spanish - Duolingo is very useful!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

My friends have moved to the Port of Duquesa which is near Gibraltar. Bought there after a year. Very expatty. All the restaurants round the Port seemed to be Indian/Chinese and not much in the way of Tapas. It definitely has other more authentic sections. We walked up to the next town Sabinillas which was lovely. Near Gib airport, a longer drive for Malaga.

We stayed near Estepona last year also. That is lovely but can imagine being much more expensive.

My sister is getting married in La Cala in May so spending a bit more time there again. Not been there yet.

Duquesa is known as Little Britain for good reason - ok but certainly doesn’t have a real Spanish feel.

That stretch of coast is lovely and is one of the areas I’m seriously looking at. As you say, Estopona is very nice, as is Sotogrande. The closeness of Gibraltar is a bonus as well, for me anyway as I have many friends based there.

And the golf is great!

• Options

Was in Mojacar (amongst other places) last September, lovely old town as well as a beach resort close by.....from there we drove up to Trevelez and Pitres in the Alpujarras mountains...lovely part of the world.

Agree with Mojacar. very nice place.
    It's also fairly close to Mini Hollywood, where the Spaghetti Westerns were filmed.
  • Options
    My parents have owned in Estepona for about 14 years or so now. It's a good town, 'local' and international restaurants, everything you need.. Very mixed community with many Brits, Nordics, Italians etc living there. Good nightlife if you want it, very long beach, lots of bars/restaurants etc.. Think it might be a bit more expensive then other areas...it's about 45 mins from both Gib (although only BA flying there from UK now Monarch has gone, which means more expensive flights - or maybe there are others too..??) and about 45 mins from Malaga (easyjet).. About 20 mins from Marbella if you fancy some of that...and then Porto Banus is close too, for overpriced everything and confirmation that money cannot buy taste.. My parents love it and spend approx 6 months of the year out there, pottering... They've just come home and have had brilliant weather throughout January.. I tend to go at Easter for a few days now and weather usually good and flights not too bad price-wise... I'd be gutted if they sold up.
  • Options
    I would suggest getting a small mortgage even if you are a cash buyer. Banks will run their own checks and know what’s going on so offers a bit more security.

Old houses often have the pipes and electric running up through the concrete blocks and so repairs can involve knocking a hole in the wall. Later houses are built with building regulations in place so should be sound.

When you have narrowed down your search, find the online expats site which could be useful . Eye on Spain is a very good site to visit.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Redrobo said:

I would suggest getting a small mortgage even if you are a cash buyer. Banks will run their own checks and know what’s going on so offers a bit more security.

Old houses often have the pipes and electric running up through the concrete blocks and so repairs can involve knocking a hole in the wall. Later houses are built with building regulations in place so should be sound.

When you have narrowed down your search, find the online expats site which could be useful . Eye on Spain is a very good site to visit.

Good luck.

As a result of this kind of thing, new places here in Portugal are often more expensive than older places in better locations.

Our place has steel water pipes, for example. We have already had to replace a section due to rust.
  • Options
    I lived in Villamartin, Alicante for 3 years. Lovely area but is a little Britain. Look out for bank repossessions. Some seriously cheap properties through them.

Definitely rent for a while and make an effort to learn the language. Got me out of bother a few times just knowing Spanglish.
  • Options
    We've got a villa booked in Xavia for 2 weeks in May and will have a good look around. Costa Calida does look much better value for money than the northern Costa Blanca which looks lovely but definitely much more expensive.