Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France

When does it cycle through Charlton? cant work out the timings on its website. or just being thick and lazy.

Comments

• Options
    Sunday 8th July
  • Options
    I've got my cousin and his family coming up from gloucester to watch both days.

I know the route but all the sites dont say where is the best to view it.

I wanted to watch it down at Charlton then jump in the car down the A2 to Medway to watch it again there.
  • Options
    Forgot to say - if you're going to watch it, I'd recommend the prologue on the Saturday more than the London - Canterbury stage.

For the prologue you'll get each of the 180-odd competitors going past full-pelt against the clock (they start 30 seconds apart) and it's therefore more of an event. For the 1st proper stage (and considering Charlton is towards the start of the route) you'll likely get the peloton steam past you and it'll all be over in a flash (though the expectation and the entertainment that usually goes along the road in front of the race can be pretty good too!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I've got my cousin and his family coming up from gloucester to watch both days.

I know the route but all the sites dont say where is the best to view it.

I wanted to watch it down at Charlton then jump in the car down the A2 to Medway to watch it again there.

Basically, you can watch it anywhere you like along the route - I'd suggest at the top of a hill if possible (check to see if it's one that qualifies for a sprint bonus).
  • Options
    so somewhere like the rose of denmark on the sunday??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]so somewhere like the rose of denmark on the sunday??
    Yeah, you can watch it there, but be prepared for them to flash past and it all be over in 10 seconds!
  • Options
    I couldn't believe the authorities aren't putting up temporary seating around the prologue route.

I'd love to buy a ticket.
  • Options
    the tour de france goes through charlton?? all the years i lived in charlton, i never knew that!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]so somewhere like the rose of denmark on the sunday??[/quote]
    Yeah, you can watch it there, but be prepared for them to flash past and it all be over in 10 seconds![/quote]

I took a video camera with me to Paris for the final stage a few years back. One day, in a fit of boredom or curiosity, I put a stopwatch on it and from memory the entire peloton whizzed by in 13 seconds.

Of course before then you get to watch first the programme sellers, then a motorbike, then another motorbike then some cars then some more motorbikes etc. and after the field come the referee then all the press motorbikes and the back-up cars (2 per team plus the neutral ones) and finally the riff-raff including the cars carrying the back-up police motorbikes on trailers.

I would definitely agree that the prologue is more of a spectacle. Failing that spend the day in a pub with Eurosport and just adjourn outside at the relevant time.
  • Options
    Don't know if this helps but the cyclists are scheduled to arrive in Bexley borough at 11.14, so at a guess around 11 ish at Charlton.