Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you shouldn't have done in this freezing weather

2»

Comments

• Options
    Drive up the hill that everyone was obviously avoiding yesterday morning on my rush to get my car to the MOT place before work. Was not much fun sliding back down it, eventually getting to the garage for them to be shut for the next hour and me being massively late for work after the treck in the snow.
  • Options
    Work from home

A joyful sanctuary of relaxation and concentration when kids are at school.

Like trying to sleep in an Ibiza nightclub when the kids are not at school
  • Options
    I shouldn't have tried to help the dickhead who was trying to get his rear wheel drive sports car out on to a road that was basically an once rink. On the way home from the station tonight and he asked for a push. Car is going nowhere but I put everything into it. I slip and crash into the ground winding myself. My knee back and elbow have been killing me all evening.
  • Options

I shouldn't have tried to help the dickhead who was trying to get his rear wheel drive sports car out on to a road that was basically an once rink. On the way home from the station tonight and he asked for a push. Car is going nowhere but I put everything into it. I slip and crash into the ground winding myself. My knee back and elbow have been killing me all evening.

Blame your dad for that Canters!!!
  • Options

Sorry, I have to admit, that made me laugh. Hope, it's not too bad.
  • Options

You and him would have been better served if you and another human sat in the boot and he eased his way forward in second gear
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Got on a boat between Tilbury and Gravesend.

The waves were insane and it nearly tipped over. Glass smashing everywhere.

Just head the captain shouting his nuts off as it the ferry was almost on its side!

Said there had been nothing like this for 15 years and a group of old people were not allowed on to begin with

It was foggy too...I made an iceberg joke but no one laughed.

I'd like to know the science behind the relation to cold weather and the harsh giant aggressive waves.

was the water like this?
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5704186/sea-turns-to-ice-as-storm-emma-sends-temperatures-plummeting-on-the-english-channel-coast/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got my cockwomble out
  • Options
    Eat yellow snow....
  • Options
    Made yellow snow sorry @lolwray
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Canters, hope you feel better. It is a noble, charitable thing to help someone push their car, and I have helped out on a few occasions, but it doesn’t always end well. I once helped some bloke get his car going up a slight incline, it was just the two of us, he eventually drove off quite happily leaving me half collapsed on the side of the road. I hadn’t realised just how much effort i’d put into it, and I sat there thinking I was about to have a bloody heart attack, as he waved his appreciation at me in the distance.
    Another time this woman asked us to help her give her car a push and 4 of us gave it some right welly for about 100 metres, but she wasn’t making any effort to bump start it. When we stopped, she got all arsey and then she told us she had run out of petrol. I don’t know if she thought we were going to push her all the way to the nearest garage, but there was none in sight.
    When we said we weren’t doing any more, she got really indignant!
    So Carter’s advice is worth considering sometimes.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

boiler has packed in overnight, not a problem for me today as I'm at work. Must have gone last night when I turned the heating to auto.

Have you got a condensing boiler?
    Yes, apparently it is one of those.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I bought a brand new car in Jan & last weekend we took it on a road trip to Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta. My wife stuck a case of ginger beer in the boot, 12 cans & I forgot to unpack them when we got to the hotel. Well it was a cold night - the temperatures were in the -30s and of course coming down the next morning & opening the car - it looked like an accident at the Slush Puppy factory.

Every can had frozen solid, ruptured and spurted its icy contents all over the boot area. Only good thing was it was mostly ice as opposed to syrupy drink - but the car now smells pretty gingery - quite a nice smell actually....

sounds like a scene from a Mr Freeze sex tape
  • Options
    Shouldn't have walked to work yesterday when there was no way out of my village in the car.

3 mile walk, half of which is down a busy A road.

Nice on the way to work, as a jackknifed Lorry had closed the road, so I could walk on the carriageway.

A bit scary on the way home, as the road had re-opened and I was basically wading through the snow-plough formed 2 foot snowdrift on the side of the road, between busy traffic and a dyke.

Thankfully someone I knew stopped and picked me up about halfway along it.
  • Options
    Sacked off going to a music festival this weekend cos the roads hereabouts are still untreated and me garage door is frozen shut behind 3 feet of drifted snow - typically me shovels are in the garage.
    What finally swung my decision to stay put is that an ex has 4 days rosta off work with all her existing plans snowed off, she's just called and fancies the 5k walk across town to mine with a clutch of dvd's, a bottle of malt scotch and fond memories of the fire in my front room, apparently. Denying her that would be churlish indeed.
    Confident the current SO has no interest in this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

LenGlover said:

Dazzler21 said:

boiler has packed in overnight, not a problem for me today as I'm at work. Must have gone last night when I turned the heating to auto.

Have you got a condensing boiler?
    Yes, apparently it is one of those.
    There is a pipe (called a condensate pipe) that runs from the boiler outside the house which freezes. Our Worcester Bosch suffered from this yesterday. By carefully thawing this pipe with hot (not too hot!) water we resolved the problem.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-pipes-frozen-how-unfreeze-12109059