Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Born in Greenwich now plays for Barcelona

Greenwich-born Marcus McGuane has become the first Englishman to play for Barcelona since Gary Lineker in 1989.

McGuane, a former pupil at St Paul’s Academy in Abbey Wood, came on as a second-half substitute in Barcelona's penalty shoot-out win over Espanyol in the Catalan Super Cup last night.

The 19-year-old midfielder signed for the Spanish giants in January after a 12-year spell in Arsenal’s academy.

Speaking after his first-team debut, England Under-19 international McGuane said: “It was a massive experience and a massive achievement for me and my family.

“Words can’t really describe how it felt walking out there – it felt really good and I felt really proud.

“When the coach told me I was coming on, I thought ‘just be calm, play my game and show what I can do’.

“A lot of people told me when I signed that Gary Lineker was the last Englishman to play for Barcelona. I got a lot of messages yesterday when people found out I was in the squad.

“So to know I’m the next player to play for Barcelona after Gary Lineker, that’s some achievement.

“Hopefully I can carry on pushing with the B team, get as many games as possible and if I get any opportunities to go with the first-team, I’ll just show the boss what I can do, and if there are any pre-season opportunities, just to take them.”

Comments

• Options
    Another player we missed....
  • Options
    Its only a friendly tournament apparently so will that actually count in his list of appearances?
  • Options

Its only a friendly tournament apparently so will that actually count in his list of appearances?

Sure he won't give a flying one mate.
  • Options

McGuane, a former pupil at St Paul’s Academy in Abbey Wood.

Is that the old Abbey Wood comp?
  • Options

I don't believe so but it is in the same location.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Another player we missed....

More like a reflection of Wenger's lack of ability to develop youngsters. Arsenal under Wenger or Barcleona? Shouldn't have been a difficult choice to make especially as he had been there and seen the comings and goings over a 12 year period.
  • Options
    Good on him
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

It’s the St Paul’s school that used to be in Wickham Lane.
  • Options
    great story, unbelievable for him..........

(never heard of him though !)
  • Options

johnny73 said:

Yeah but it's now where Abbey Wood school use to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C_A_F_C said:

johnny73 said:

Yeah but it's now where Abbey Wood school use to be.
    The schools were merged several years ago.