Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton job losses

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Has it been announced yet any indication of the cutbacks, and to what extent ?

As an aside, for the 05-06 season we employed 233 full time staff, compared to:

Fulham 180
Bolton 191.

We also employed 533 casual and part-time staff, compared to 435 at Fulham.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]We also employed 533 casual and part-time staff
    Didnt think we had that many players
  • Options
    our crowds were bigger though weren't they though - plus don't we have a higher stewarding policy rather than old bill in th egorund.
  • Options
    womens team gone from what i hear
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: howitzer[/cite]womens team gone from what i hear

where ? back to the kitchen ? :-)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: howitzer[/cite]womens team gone from what i hear

where ? back to the kitchen ? :-)

u r treading on thin ice my pedigree chum
  • Options
    I think we are over the top on stewards anyway

You take a team that does not sellout the South

We have a person in each row back to fron then the covering and then a person in each row again

Now most teams are non violent and there are normally full of kids so if it was a violent team doubt anything would happen.

Now to me that is over stewarding were the likes of Rangers & Celtic at Ibrox 2 teams full of hatred they had no coverings and only either a policeman or steward every 3 rows.

So why do we have so many??
  • Options
    If the women's team has gone, that would be a shame......it's been successful and relatively high profile these past few years, and brought a lot of attention to both the women's game and the club.
  • Options
    Thanks for being a voice of reason, Oggy. Surprised at you, Mr AFKA!
    I don't particularly follow the women's team, but think it would be a real shame if they lost out becasue of the antics of some overpaid male under-achievers getting us relegated.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thanks for being a voice of reason, Oggy. Surprised at you, Mr AFKA!
    I don't particularly follow the women's team, but think it would be a real shame if they lost out becasue of the antics of some overpaid male under-achievers getting us relegated.

Loss making units of any company should always be chopped. Personally, i don't see what the women's team bring to Charlton as a club, happy for them to continue to use the club's name but i really don't see the benefit of devoting time and resources to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thanks for being a voice of reason, Oggy. Surprised at you, Mr AFKA!

Loss making units of any company should always be chopped. Personally, i don't see what the women's team bring to Charlton as a club, happy for them to continue to use the club's name but i really don't see the benefit of devoting time and resources to it.

There speaks the banker...
  • Options
    hope you're spelling's not wrong !

just seems daft to me if we are in a situation where important people to the running of the club may lose their jobs, that there is another section to the club that is, lets be honest, is maintained so we can effectively pay lip service to doing what is seen to be best, but doesn't actually bring anything to the table and is probably loss-making.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]hope you're spelling's not wrong !

just seems daft to me if we are in a situation where important people to the running of the club may lose their jobs, that there is another section to the club that is, lets be honest, is maintained so we can effectively pay lip service to doing what is seen to be best, but doesn't actually bring anything to the table and is probably loss-making.

what so this is actually true, i thought it was a headlock inducing wind up!
  • Options
    Don't worry, just being tongue in cheek, AFKA. Think it's a shame for anyone to lose their jobs in this circumstance through no fault of thier own. Any club, Premiership or not, which is proud of its links across the whole community should have its own women's team - I don't think the players are paid (correct me if I'm wrong), so not sure it is that much of a resource burden.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]hope you're spelling's not wrong !

what so this is actually true, i thought it was a headlock inducing wind up!

I had heard suggestions previously that the women's team would be on the hitlist - don't think it is just a wind-up.
  • Options
    No - it's definitely not a wind up....
  • Options
    I'm with Weegie on this. I've never seen the women's team - except FA Cup Finals on the telly - but I believe they form a valuable focus for the community and bring welcome publicity to the club in general.

No doubt they do incur the club expenditure - home games presently at Stonebridge Road must be paid for plus travel expenses, players expenses (?) and refereeing costs, for example. And I'm sure there are other costs too.

But I'm sure there is scope to retain the women's team with reduced expenditure - home games at Sparrows Lane or occasionally at The Valley, straight after a Sunday Championship fixture with some of the crowd staying on, maybe?

The women's game continues to gain higher and higher profile.
    It's valuable for many reasons to keep the Charlton Women.
  • Options
    you bunch it into 'community work' but the unspoken drive of the community work is to encourage as many kids as we can to support Charlton, bringing long-term money into the club by ticket sales and merchandising, or with the courses hopefully finding kids that could filter through into our academy.

i'm not sure of any benefits the womens team brings to the group structure other than that were a nice family club and its a good example of PC work. But a costly one. I suspect the expenses associated with it are ten-fold the size you would guess. If it turns out that the women's structure is self-sufficient, or funded fully by outside funding, then of course i see no reason why it should not continue.

Would be interested to see what other benefits people think they bring ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Would be interested to see what other benefits people think they bring ?

Err .................. nope, you've got me there. Chop em I say - it would free up two wasted pages of the programme for extra advertising income for starters!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you bunch it into 'community work' but the unspoken drive of the community work is to encourage as many kids as we can to support Charlton, bringing long-term money into the club by ticket sales and merchandising, or with the courses hopefully finding kids that could filter through into our academy.

Of course that's the purpose of the community scheme - but just look at the pics of the kids' training sessions and you'll usually see a good number of girls among them. Having a women's team helps in saying girls/women are part of Charlton and welcome at Charlton. If I'd been ten years younger, I'd have loved to have the chance to play for Charlton - unfortunately they didn't have a team when I was young and fit!

Cheers, Oggy, btw.