Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Letter from Charlton.

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Question(s) why is block b better ? Is offer of relocation not reasonable ? How many will be pissed off ?
  • Options

seth plum said:

Ask them for the general season ticket prices for next season.

Why would you worry about this now? No waiting list after all and we know we are to be under new ownership at some point. Difficult to see how any supporter is going to be inconvenienced by a delay in pricing announcement
    If there was an answer it would indicate someone is doing some planning, and that would surprise and intrigue me.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

How about moving to another Block in the East?

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to me mate if I’m honest.

Not an overreaction at all. I want to move, my mate wants to reluctantly stay because his kids like it there. I would like to move because I don't want to be surrounded by young Chidren. The Club are forcing me to make a decision I shouldn't have to make.

With about 8,000 going currently and maybe 12,000 if we are taken over then initiatives to get more fans in have got to be a good thing.

We are generally creatures of habit and I get why people don’t like change but sometimes I think you have the shrug, applaud a good initiative to work with our award winning Trust, bring young people to the club we love and move to a better seat at the same cost.

Not everything the club does is bad, this sounds very good. I hope it is a success.
    There is nothing new on this. The trust was getting 500 tickets at most matches from 2010 onwards (and a lot more before that).
    So still not a problem then ?
    The point is you don’t need to piss off the season ticket holders to do it. Block B is better than block H.
    I don’t get why season ticket holders would be pissed off when your post above says “most of the CACT tickets are not used”, if that is the case then what is the problem?
  • Options
    You're essentially annoyed that you'll have people sitting around you

• Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Why would you worry about this now? No waiting list after all and we know we are to be under new ownership at some point. Difficult to see how any supporter is going to be inconvenienced by a delay in pricing announcement
    If there was an answer it would indicate someone is doing some planning, and that would surprise and intrigue me.
    So what is you want to learn on season tickets exactly that you need to know? All I interpret is that some elements of admin / management are ongoing. I believe you may have posted several times on absence of ticket prices for next season. Seems not unreasonable it's a decision being deferred for now.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Not an overreaction at all. I want to move, my mate wants to reluctantly stay because his kids like it there. I would like to move because I don't want to be surrounded by young Chidren. The Club are forcing me to make a decision I shouldn't have to make.

With about 8,000 going currently and maybe 12,000 if we are taken over then initiatives to get more fans in have got to be a good thing.

We are generally creatures of habit and I get why people don’t like change but sometimes I think you have the shrug, applaud a good initiative to work with our award winning Trust, bring young people to the club we love and move to a better seat at the same cost.

Not everything the club does is bad, this sounds very good. I hope it is a success.
    There is nothing new on this. The trust was getting 500 tickets at most matches from 2010 onwards (and a lot more before that).
    The point is you don’t need to piss off the season ticket holders to do it. Block B is better than block H.
    I don’t get why season ticket holders would be pissed off when your post above says “most of the CACT tickets are not used”, if that is the case then what is the problem?
    Fair point. I may be under the influence of five pints of London Pride....
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

So what is you want to learn on season tickets exactly that you need to know? All I interpret is that some elements of admin / management are ongoing. I believe you may have posted several times on absence of ticket prices for next season. Seems not unreasonable it's a decision being deferred for now.
    OK. The 'for now' bit is the interesting part.
  • Options

Question(s) why is block b better ? Is offer of relocation not reasonable ? How many will be pissed off ?

Because a) it’s more central and b) no one sits there currently. I quite get why people think it’s a great idea to give 500 tickets to the trust and I agree with it - the point is it’s not new and it won’t deliver anything like 500 new fans a game because it never has. The only new aspect is that season ticket holders are being bumped. I fail to see why that of itself is a good thing.

The main ticket issue at the club is that you can pay any price you like, including £50 for an U11 season ticket, and sit anywhere you like. And people do. Nothing will be done to address that.

Do not be taken in my token initiatives by idiots justifying their existence for new owners.
    So in essence those season ticket holders in a potentially perceived worse block could go to a better block at no cost ? Surely the numbers of people impacted are relatively small and the option to stay remains. Also what is relative number of people impacted in black b versus block h ? I agree people can move freely (like we all did in days of terracing but that's a separate story) and that is a failinf of current pricing but no one is actually suffering given low attendances. So it still looks like a reasonable idea (no one said it was new) and a fair offer / letter to those impacted and not an attempt to (yet) address any wider issues of ticket pricing. Some might complain freebies are given in better / more central seats if it were for block b.

I'd rather see this as moderate tinkering with the right ambition at the root.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Interesting or simply entirely logical I.e.new owners on the horizon and until today some lingering thoughts of promotion ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    dickplumb said:

I’m confused? You don’t have to move and can Renew your seats. What’s the problem?

For the umpteenth time. I don't want to sit with kids. My mate doesn't want to move, because his kids want to stay put. Ergo, i will be sitting by myself next Season in another part of the ground.

But you already sit with kids - your mates kids. The club aren't making you move & have offered (what to me looks like a good deal) of a seat anywhere else in the ground. The club have let you know in good time for next season & If you don't want to move, then don't. Perhaps ask your mate to move (tell his kids that there are better places to sit, maybe to E or F block so more central) or maybe just see what happens come August - you may find its all ok & you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Because a) it’s more central and b) no one sits there currently. I quite get why people think it’s a great idea to give 500 tickets to the trust and I agree with it - the point is it’s not new and it won’t deliver anything like 500 new fans a game because it never has. The only new aspect is that season ticket holders are being bumped. I fail to see why that of itself is a good thing.

The main ticket issue at the club is that you can pay any price you like, including £50 for an U11 season ticket, and sit anywhere you like. And people do. Nothing will be done to address that.

Do not be taken in my token initiatives by idiots justifying their existence for new owners.
    So in essence those season ticket holders in a potentially perceived worse block could go to a better block at no cost ? Surely the numbers of people impacted are relatively small and the option to stay remains. Also what is relative number of people impacted in black b versus block h ? I agree people can move freely (like we all did in days of terracing but that's a separate story) and that is a failinf of current pricing but no one is actually suffering given low attendances. So it still looks like a reasonable idea (no one said it was new) and a fair offer / letter to those impacted and not an attempt to (yet) address any wider issues of ticket pricing. Some might complain freebies are given in better / more central seats if it were for block b.

I'd rather see this as moderate tinkering with the right ambition at the root.
    I think people have connected the idea of giving away the tickets with the move of the season ticket holders - that is incorrect, as the tickets have been given away for many years. B is better than H but it’s not a premium block. The OP indicates that the holder does not want to move - the offer is neither here nor there.

To be fair I don’t suppose it’s a big issue in the grand scheme of things. But there is no need for it and no obvious benefit. It’s just meddling for the sake of it.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Interesting or simply entirely logical I.e.new owners on the horizon and until today some lingering thoughts of promotion ?
    New owners on the horizon? The problem with horizons, they always stay the same distance away.
  • Options
    This will be the new seat kickers section.

If you don’t like your seat being kicked from behind to within an inch of its life then best get moving .
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Maybe see it as a small sacrifice to help the club in their efforts to gain new fans, without whom we're doomed? Maybe join some other mates who sit in the most expensive seats and see how it goes? Or cajole your mate into telling his kids to try the most expensive part of the stadium next season. But get an agreement from the club that they'll honour their promise to keep the price the same for more than just next season. It must be really annoying though if you love where you sit.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

Surely this is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

It seems there's an existing system that works just fine, and has done for many years, versus a new system that will inconvenience/upset some current season ticket holders (of which we have precious few) for no tangible benefit.

If that's the case, why would anyone choose the new system? What's the point?

As a previous poster daid, someone who is fearing that he/she may losr their job soon and is trying to show thst they are invaluable. I think the sentiment is right but judt in the wrong part of the ground. We already have a "family" section (NE quadrant?) so why not use that area.
  • Options
    I guess the attraction of block H for this is that it's next to the Family Stand (NE quadrant) so puts the "kids" in one area of the ground. Blocks A and B presumably would also be needed for a big cup game where we needed to give away fans more tickets than just the JS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Write back telling them if you can’t sit in you preferred seat you want a refund - one that covers the entire season as you have yet to see any football.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I guess the attraction of block H for this is that it's next to the Family Stand (NE quadrant) so puts the "kids" in one area of the ground. Blocks A and B presumably would also be needed for a big cup game where we needed to give away fans more tickets than just the JS.

You can’t give tickets away for cup games because you have to pay the opposition for them.

I think in practice you wouldn’t find these tickets are predominantly used by kids as much as imagined anyway, certainly not younger ones. We did a lot of work with Matt Parish in the past to stop the trust handing them out without any accountability, but I would imagine it’s reverted to a free for all because there’s no one left likely to have the time or inclination. The problem is you have to go through the network of individual part-time coaches. If you control it centrally and ask for personal data there isn’t the take-up.

I doubt if the club has even studied actual usage which should be easy with the access system now. We reckoned 40 per cent.

The club (past and present) likes to talk a lot about engaging with the groups the trust sees as a marketing opportunity but it’s a lot more difficult in practice than it appears. It’s not just a question of the wider community being excited by free tickets to see Charlton play Rochdale on a cold winter’s day.

The bigger groups of kids came via primary schools, which didn’t involve the trust. The advantage of that was that you weren’t using the same distribution route week after week.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

In my opinion it's not. Tucking them away in a corner, close to the away fans or amongst home fans where they will get a better Charlton atmosphere? I do sympathise with those inconvenienced slightly, but it is only slightly. Does 1 block either side really make that much difference.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Get yourself the best seat in the house for next season. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

Where’s that Old Trafford?
  • Options
    Give them something worth watching on the pitch - waste of time doing this sort of initiative with a team that disapoints, especially at home, more often than not!
  • Options
    Ask for a seat where you can’t see the pitch.
  • Options

48 LIKES Suede.....says it all, definitely would take up the offer and move to another seat in the East.....unfortunately you would have to leave your mate behind Dick.
  • Options

So we have no CEO, no CFO, a delusional owner who never shows his face, a manager who is rumoured to be off to a rival club, a farcical take over process dragging on for months, gates are falling like a stone, long standing season ticket holders now prefer to watch the rugby, official statements issued by the club cause more confusion than clarity, the team is in freefall, a tabloid newspaper accuses half the team of being racist bigots but issuing freebie tickets to schoolkids and deciding where exactly they might sit, is the current top management priority?

I do love an ironic username.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

dickplumb said:

Maybe see it as a small sacrifice to help the club in their efforts to gain new fans, without whom we're doomed? Maybe join some other mates who sit in the most expensive seats and see how it goes? Or cajole your mate into telling his kids to try the most expensive part of the stadium next season. But get an agreement from the club that they'll honour their promise to keep the price the same for more than just next season. It must be really annoying though if you love where you sit.
    This was what had occurred to me about the situation. The club are suggesting that you might like to move away from a bunch of half attentive, not always well mannered kids (not the same as sitting with his mates kids at all #golfaddick). Giving up your long term seat - with all the potential emotional attachment mentioned elsewhere - the carrot being dangled is that you can get a top price seat for the rest of this and the whole of next season in return. BUT, you just get used to your new seat and hopefully new friends you make around you, when the price reverts to the full amount in 2019/20 which you can ill afford. I don't think it's reasonable to ask the club to maintain the same price forever, but what they can do is only ever charge you what in would have cost in the previous seat in your old block.

On another note - perhaps Dick Plumb could get together with baldybonce and U Boat to form a "Lonely Guy" club, and all sit together...