Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    I've got a pennant with a picture of that version on it. Think I bought it in the club shop at Selhurst at one of our last home games there. Pretty sure the matchday programme was promoting season tickets at The Valley for the following season.

That version had a bowling alley incorporated into the West Stand. Weirdest thing about it for me is that they planned to make the East Stand so small, and the inexplicable cleared, flat area behind it. Think total capacity was due to be about 12,000.

The capacity was going to be 16,500.

3,000 covered end
    3,000 JS
    4,500 new west stand
    6,000 standing on lower third of the east

I agree if didn’t make sense re-profiling the upper parts of the east, why not just reconcrete them so they could be used.  All moot because the Hillsborough report recommended all top two tier stadiums should be all seated from August 1994 meaning eventually the whole east terrace would have been defunct as a standing terrace.

Another part of the ground that didn’t make sense was the design for the new west stand.  This was very large for the number of seats in it.  It takes up a similar footprint to the current west stand with almost half as many seats. Compare it to the size of the covered end, which held just 1500 less.

• Options
    Probably the biggest problem with this design though was that it imagined the entire surrounding area as being as flat as a Norfolk fen. The landscaping necessary to achieve this would have been prohibitively expensive and would have necessitated the renaming of the ground.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    I've got a pennant with a picture of that version on it. Think I bought it in the club shop at Selhurst at one of our last home games there. Pretty sure the matchday programme was promoting season tickets at The Valley for the following season.

That version had a bowling alley incorporated into the West Stand. Weirdest thing about it for me is that they planned to make the East Stand so small, and the inexplicable cleared, flat area behind it. Think total capacity was due to be about 12,000.
    That pic wasn’t the version that had the bowling alley in, that was a bigger model I think with wrap around stands
    It's definitely the bowling alley one. The wrap around one rejected by Greenwich Council had loads of commercial/corporate aspects to it that they put as one of their many objections.

Once they had been kicked by the Valley Party and the club put in this scaled down version their own issue with it was the bowling alley which had been put in the West Stand plans. In the end they allowed the permission but with restriction on the opening times. All irrelevant in the end as the stand was never built in this way 
  • Options
    Not read whole thread, but interested to know why Super Mac had this photo taken - he has no connection to Charlton as far as I am aware ?
    Harry lived in Bexleyheath not far from Crook Log he was friends with super mac from his Arsenal days.
    Harry did not have any interest in Charlton although his son went to wembley Blackburn v Charlton 1987.
  • Options
    Stand corrected. Cheers @milo @JohnnyH2
  • Options
    Acab said:

I reckon 4 are no more.
    The journey back is horrendous - nearly six hours before the journey even starts, then you've got ages on the train.  Back at Deal by about 1am Sunday morning?
  • Options
    Acab said:

I reckon 4 are no more.
    The journey back is horrendous - nearly six hours before the journey even starts, then you've got ages on the train.  Back at Deal by about 1am Sunday morning?
    Yeah, but they would be properly tanked up after an evenings entertainment in Soho so wouldnt care, those naughty Kent miners!
  • Options
    Again, a video, but a nice bit of Charlton action here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxitGFvBjc
  • Options
    Killer and a young Walshie. Remember me nan taking us to a midweek market in that bit just behind them (between the club shop and the end of terrace house) back in the day. - 

& the very same pot holes are still there today too...
    What I wouldn’t give for one of those Bukta tops. Best kit ever.
    Make me an offer. I'm sure that is what I have loaned the museum.
    Bullseye, what size is it?
    Dunno what size, @Henry Irving would know as he has access to it.  From memory, it is signed at a later date by Colin Powell.
    Actually, starting to regret my comment already.
    Not interested with it being signed, thanks for replying.

Do you have any 80's tips you'd like to shift
    Back Thatcher to win two elections.
  • Options
    Not sure about the "Valley Ground" bit, the capital "G" makes it look like the name is "Valley Ground".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure how VAR would've looked upon Charlton's first goal from the @AddicksAddict clip

• Options
    I got one of them bukta tops up loft first shirt I bought must have been about 12 I think. What year was it about 78/79
  • Options
    Not read whole thread, but interested to know why Super Mac had this photo taken - he has no connection to Charlton as far as I am aware ?
    Harry lived in Bexleyheath not far from Crook Log he was friends with super mac from his Arsenal days.
    Harry did not have any interest in Charlton although his son went to wembley Blackburn v Charlton 1987.
    Did you know his son? I used to go to school with him in the 70’s. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrLargo said:

That pic wasn’t the version that had the bowling alley in, that was a bigger model I think with wrap around stands
    It's definitely the bowling alley one. The wrap around one rejected by Greenwich Council had loads of commercial/corporate aspects to it that they put as one of their many objections.

Once they had been kicked by the Valley Party and the club put in this scaled down version their own issue with it was the bowling alley which had been put in the West Stand plans. In the end they allowed the permission but with restriction on the opening times. All irrelevant in the end as the stand was never built in this way 
    I remember the model of the early wrap around design being on display at Sparrows lane.

It's ended up a near premonition of The Valley. (especially from above). If the East stand had a 2nd tier, it would be basically the same. (That model included a red version of the JS stand too).
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Didn't more than one version of the plans have a bowling alley in it, or was it just the one? If it was more than one then perhaps everyone is right.

My (hazy) recollection is that there was an original design for a bigger ground with bowling alley, but this all got scaled back in size (but the bowling alley stayed?) and then this was approved but with restrictions on bowling alley opening times?

However, it was all a very long time ago so I am more than happy to bow to more expert knowledge. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Did you know his son? I used to go to school with him in the 70’s. 
    yes , he is or was Tottenham fan
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I helped organise a Samba band when we had those changing rooms. 
    We were outside them, car park side as fans arrived and had a request to move along as the team couldn't hear the pre match talk.

Not as bad as when we had the dutch band in the family section and someone @BDL had forgotten to cut the PA to our mike. The ref stopped play and came over to say that the players couldn't hear the whistle. We had no idea as we were amongst the noise anyway.
    I remember that well ;-) I hadn't forgotten at all.

• Options
    I must admit I had never seen this before.
    I presume it dates back to the early 90's when I was in enforced absence from all things Charlton.
    It is described as a proposed rebuild design during our exile.

I've got this one somewhere. Glass went a while back though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Again, a video, but a nice bit of Charlton action here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxitGFvBjc

Feels odd to think that with 70,000 people there, few may still be alive. If there were some 8-year old kids in attendance, they would now be 80.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sorry if a repost....Match Of The Day, 51 minutes between Charlton and Bolton in 1965. Look at the state of the pitch!

• Options
    Jimmy Seed talking tactics in 1936.

• Options

Jimmy Seed "so my plan is to have four backs, two holding midfielders, three inside forwards and a centre forward"

Don Welsh "that will never work, boss"
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sorry if a repost....Match Of The Day, 51 minutes between Charlton and Bolton in 1965. Look at the state of the pitch!

As Napa says - What a pitch!  Strange vantage point, filmed from the south terrace.  Why did they show 50 minutes of 'highlights'?
  • Options

Jimmy Seed "so my plan is to have four backs, two holding midfielders, three inside forwards and a centre forward"

Don Welsh "that will never work, boss"
    Charlton Atheletic.

Bloody norveners.
  • Options
    Complete change of shirts, not just to clean ones at half time, unless my eyes deceive me and the cameras didn’t pick up the red shoulder yokes too well in the first half?
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Complete change of shirts, not just to clean ones at half time, unless my eyes deceive me and the cameras didn’t pick up the red shoulder yokes too well in the first half?
    Indeed, makes you wonder why we had plain white ones in the first half....
  • Options

As Napa says - What a pitch!  Strange vantage point, filmed from the south terrace.  Why did they show 50 minutes of 'highlights'?
    Match of the day started in August 1964 and for the first year it was only shown on the then new BBC2 channel. For the first few years they only showed the highlights of one game. Most of the time the game featured was from the First Division but, occasionally, they did, as here, show a game from the Second Division.

• Options
    TEL said:
    DA9 said:
    Indeed, makes you wonder why we had plain white ones in the first half....
    We were wearing our usual shirts in the first half, it was just the camera not picking them out well.